JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Any miners? Or future miners?

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Any miners survived to Horizons era?

Tried it after a long break from it yesterday in a Cobra mk IV. For a small ship it is ok for it. My setup was something like this. That dual 2D mining laser setup is too much for the power plant / distributor, they can run those only a few seconds before the capasitor is empty (4 pips to wep).

My worst problem was managing the unwanted materials, does anyone have a solution?
For example if you mine a rock that has Painite and Indite, you end up with Indite in your cargo hold unless you spend most of your time jettisoning the stuff from refinery after every single time a drone drops it in.
If I jettison the Indite from cargo hold, the drones just pick them up again and bring them back.

The only way I managed this yesterday was to drop them off the cargo after the collector drones died, and shot the bins with lasers so that new drones won't pick them up again. But at some point your cargo hold will starts to fill up and this system is no longer good.

It was kind of fun to mine again however, thinking about doing it again today but don't know if to refit the Python or get an Asp for it. Python would be a cheaper option in a way, no loss in selling / re-buying the modules. Also has a bigger cargo hold.
Then again I guess mining is far from best way of making money. But for a change, it is fun. Ish. :)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

CMDRBuxton
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Buxton
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby CMDRBuxton » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:55 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:My worst problem was managing the unwanted materials, does anyone have a solution?

I really wish that frontier would add some way to do this automatically. It would make mining so much easier. Considering they recently added filters on the navigation panel and the inventory I was really hopeful there'd be refinery filters too but it's still not available.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 am

I was using an A4 refinery on my Federal Drop ship. It has 9 bins and I just let it run. Once your collectors expire you can then jettison the junk you don't want, BUT I wouldn't bother until the hold was full because X tons of something is always worth more than X tons of nothing :)

Also when a bin hits 100% of say gold and your bay is full, you then jettison say 1 ton of indite and the refinery bin will instantly empty into the cargo bay filling it up again and your collectors won't be able to bring them back as they don't fit anymore.

moarbeer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: RE: Re: Any miners? Or future miners?

Postby moarbeer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:07 pm

Black Rose wrote:Also when a bin hits 100% of say gold and your bay is full, you then jettison say 1 ton of indite and the refinery bin will instantly empty into the cargo bay filling it up again and your collectors won't be able to bring them back as they don't fit anymore.

Isn't it the case that the collector limpet still picks it up and and just holds onto it until the fragment expires or a slot opens in the cargo bay?

moarbeer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby moarbeer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Mining with with a Python. 1 prospector (up to 4 active limpets), 3 collectors (9 limpets), 10 bin refinery, 128t cargo, hold loaded initially with 128 limpets.

Managed 8 million over 2.5 hours, plus time picking up mining missions to sell the painite, platinum and osmium at premium (always pick up a dozen, or so tons of osmium. Rest of cargo P-ores/metals). Pristine metallic drop into inner ring, of course.

Drop in, start shooting prospectors, look for the good stuff, ignore the crap. Most times just flying 6 collector limpets, but but if I hit painite, I usually launch all 9 to hoover it up quickly. Also 9 limpets allows for some to be hanging on to jettisoned cargo.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 pm

moarbeer wrote:Isn't it the case that the collector limpet still picks it up and and just holds onto it until the fragment expires or a slot opens in the cargo bay?

I think it is so that they just keep it until expiration.

To me the amount you make sounds good, I think I need to convert my Python to a miner for a while :)

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 pm

moarbeer wrote:
Black Rose wrote:Also when a bin hits 100% of say gold and your bay is full, you then jettison say 1 ton of indite and the refinery bin will instantly empty into the cargo bay filling it up again and your collectors won't be able to bring them back as they don't fit anymore.

Isn't it the case that the collector limpet still picks it up and and just holds onto it until the fragment expires or a slot opens in the cargo bay?

Ok picture this:

Cargo bay is full
One of the bins on the refinery is at 100%
Open cargo bay and jettison one ton of junk
The split second you drop 1 ton of junk, the refinery bin loads its ton into the cargo bay.
The limpet goes off to collect the item you jettisoned and brings it back, but the cargo bay is full.

Rinse an repeat the above or just turn off your controller to kill the limpets.

its really pretty easy to do, just requires your full attention which, when mining is not that easy to do, that's why I don't bother anymore :(

The only real way to make money mining is to collect as much of Painite, Platinum, Palladium and Osmium as you can ( as those are the only missions I've seen) then go station to station looking for missions that pay insane sums for just one ton.

The whole routine is very time consuming, fun maybe the 1st three times and after that it gets the "WTF" look for me and I move onto something more in line with my play style.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:58 am

Yesterday mined around ~200 tons of the three P:s + Osmium. Takes a while now to find missions for the whole pile. Might be that some of it will be sold in the market.. :)

Huma42
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Huma42

Postby Huma42 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:04 am

Anyone still mining away out there? Haven't been able to play since before Horizons. Just starting to get some time to play recently and wouldn't mind some advice on good ships for mining. Currently I'm in an asp explorer doing some mining. What should I be saving for next? I normally play solo but if you'd like to say hi whilest mining add me as a friend. :-)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:09 am

Huma42 wrote:Anyone still mining away out there? Haven't been able to play since before Horizons. Just starting to get some time to play recently and wouldn't mind some advice on good ships for mining. Currently I'm in an asp explorer doing some mining. What should I be saving for next? I normally play solo but if you'd like to say hi whilest mining add me as a friend. :-)

It's been a while since I mined, but the relaxation sounds pretty good right now. I may have to refit a ship and blow up some rocks soon. :)

This is my mining Python loadout. Many ships can make good miners. I like the Python because it has a good number of internal bays, good cargo space, enough hardpoints to be efficient at mining and still be able to defend itself against small pirates, it can land on outposts, and well..... IT'S A PYTHON!! :D (One of my favorite ships in the game)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “Miner's Club”