Explorer Exchange
yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice
CMDR: yah-ta-hey
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Star System Mapping

Postby yah-ta-hey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 pm

OK, I don't think too many explorers are doing this but my bucket list is to map an entire star system for star 0 to star final number.
I am currently in a star system that has 302 star systems and have DSS all but 50 and am working on finishing those up then coming in and getting them tagged. True.. some have been previously explored and tagged so I will not get first claim but I DSS'd all of the subsystems that they passed over. I is amazing how many stars are tagged but not the planets or moons.
If there are any of you that have done this... I would like to know which systems you have tagged. Cheers.
"I WISH I WAS A SPACEMAN, THE FASTEST GUY ALIVE" BUT I AINT .
with apology to fireball XL-5. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Star System Mapping

Postby TorTorden » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:37 pm

It's common, or was, that explorers would target and scan a star while scooping fuel and doing the basic honk.

If they then don't see anything in the system map to catch particular interest they move on.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:46 am

I agree with what you say... just scan 1 or 2 out of a whole system... but what I am doing is surveying every one of those hunks of rock and ice. I am interested in knowing if others have done that or in the process of doing it.... when I am done... a whole block of space has been thoroughly surveyed. I am seeing a lot of Neutrons being tagged but dwarf whites are not being scanned at all. :shock:

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Only 20 more stars to scan and then I am headed off to catalogue some more so when I get back I can relax and roll in some serious MOOLAH!!!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 am

I would just take a rest until the 11th.

The completely redesigned exploration features will be launched then, and the honk is much much less all encompassing as it is now.
And you can get a detail scan just sitting around the star playing the scanner game and this is sufficient for the "first discovered tag".

In beta I was detail scanning systems of 40+ bodies in less than 10 minutes, and that includes those several hundre LS away.
Heck it's practically fun, at least compared to now where I have gone out and by 1500 ly I'm about to stab my balls just to alleviate the boredom.

The detail scanner is replaced with a surface scanner, that has it's own "surface scanned by" tag.
Using this needs like before to fly close and pelt a surface with probes that self regenerate apparently.
Using these you can for instance find surface POI's and features like fumaroles or geysers, as well as material hotspots in rings.
Although I think the mining iteration is a huge flop, still pointless and utterly mind-numbing, we just have a range of more utterly pointless things.

And scanning surfaces of planets, like mentioned, adds a second discovered tag and bonus as well as more credits I'm sure, which means faster rank progression etc.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:32 pm

TorTorden wrote:I would just take a rest until the 11th.

The completely redesigned exploration features will be launched then, and the honk is much much less all encompassing as it is now.
And you can get a detail scan just sitting around the star playing the scanner game and this is sufficient for the "first discovered tag".

In beta I was detail scanning systems of 40+ bodies in less than 10 minutes, and that includes those several hundre LS away.
Heck it's practically fun, at least compared to now where I have gone out and by 1500 ly I'm about to stab my balls just to alleviate the boredom.

The detail scanner is replaced with a surface scanner, that has it's own "surface scanned by" tag.
Using this needs like before to fly close and pelt a surface with probes that self regenerate apparently.
Using these you can for instance find surface POI's and features like fumaroles or geysers, as well as material hotspots in rings.
Although I think the mining iteration is a huge flop, still pointless and utterly mind-numbing, we just have a range of more utterly pointless things.

And scanning surfaces of planets, like mentioned, adds a second discovered tag and bonus as well as more credits I'm sure, which means faster rank progression etc.

I hear you and appreciate your help. I tried exploring in Beta and did not have the experience that you had....so I will keep going with what I know and at least finish up my final stars, which should be done today. Cheers.

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Currently docked at Jaques station in Colonia.... turned in my exploration data.....
I have FULLY detail scanned the ENTIRE FROARKS BR-C star system.... that is FROARKS BR-C D-0 all the way through FROARKS BR-C D-302.

Yes there are others who have primary discoveries made but for me... everything has been scanned....

Return to “Explorer Exchange”