yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice
CMDR: yah-ta-hey
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: OPEN SOURCE: ITEMS FOUND ON SURFACE OF PLANETS

Postby yah-ta-hey » Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 am

Walter wrote:
yah-ta-hey wrote:OK, I call your bluff.. your ETC comment did it... PROVE that they are common.. give me planets where they are common, I fly and srv on planets on a daily basis and yet met only 1 crash site, 2 data sites with pods and these were not on the same planet or in the same system.. The general ETC comment doesn't cut it... I am an explorer and I want to see these sites... where are they... list them, if you can , otherwise... words are vapour on the wind.
a very disbelieving commander.
cheeers.

You probably know by now that, if you drive around for long enough on any planet, you will eventually come across a crashed ship or satellite, or a data point, or a cache defended by skimmers. It all depends on the Random Number Generator which of these - if any - will be generated for your personal entertainment.

You can prove to yourself that these artefacts are not permanent the next time you find one - just log off and log back in again. If they are permanaent they will still be there. If not . . .

The RNG creates dynamic scenarios on the fly. Just imagine the size of the database that would be required to store these Points of Interest for all the millions of planets in the FD galaxy. Much simpler(!) to build POIs as the RNG demands - once they have served their purpose, the only memory of them is in your head, not on the servers.

The Tip Off location from Mysterious Stranger in Raorn's illustration is semi-permanent. It will be there for a few days for commanders to find, but it will disappear after a time.

OK.... your argument has merit.. I have logged off and back on and still have my data points and wreckage beside me.. I am not familiar with Random Number Generators except when working with 0 base probability generators for some projects that I had undertaken.
I do acknowledge your wisdom and humbly seek your pardon for being something that I really don't like being: ignorant and combative.
cheers
"I WISH I WAS A SPACEMAN, THE FASTEST GUY ALIVE" BUT I AINT .
with apology to fireball XL-5. :)

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: OPEN SOURCE: ITEMS FOUND ON SURFACE OF PLANETS

Postby Walter » Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 am

yah-ta-hey wrote:OK.... your argument has merit.. I have logged off and back on and still have my data points and wreckage beside me.. I am not familiar with Random Number Generators except when working with 0 base probability generators for some projects that I had undertaken.
I do acknowledge your wisdom and humbly seek your pardon for being something that I really don't like being: ignorant and combative.
cheers

You don't have to apologise (I have no way of knowing your wider experience, so risk talking down). Pushing back against accepted belief pushes boundaries of understanding. If you are finding persistence, that's a welcomed improvemment: in the past even targets for planetary scanning jobs would relocate if the instance was interrupted; now they are retained between sessions. But there must come a point when it is no longer economic to retain what is ephemeral data.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”