Friendship drive is Magic

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Re: Diamondback explorer or Asp Explorer

Postby raorn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Here's my engineered Red Catober DBX. Runs very, VERY cool, like three Fonzies. Awesome jump range, great maneuverability. Not much compartments, so no Cargo Rack and only one AFMU (never EVER fly without AFMUs if you plan using Jet-cone boost). I chose SRV bay and shields, so I can land on planets and collect materials (or just aimlessly drive around).

And about Fuel Scoop size. If you scan every star you pass by, make sure to also scoop fuel. 95% of time you will fill scoop that 5 tons of fuel that you used on your last jump while waiting for scan to finish.

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby SockFiddler » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:44 am

Have only scanned other replies briefly. Here's my tuppence:

1. DBX over AspX purely because the buy-back won't kill you. If you've been playing just a handful of days, you'll be wanting to spend some time learning how to jump, fly, fight, die. And yes, learning how to die is significant, so keeping your buyback low is important.

2. People will have a lot to say about AspX super-magic abilities, but they'll be less forthcoming about how long they spent grinding engineers and rolling those goldens to get those lovely numbers. It's a nice ship, but a DBX is much easier and cheaper to fit out in a way that gets you functionality without too much grind.

3. DBX will allow you to keep hold of your little eagle, which is a decent enough ride to learn to fight in. Stripping and selling ships is one way to go, sure, but if you rely on a single vessel - selling the last to pay for the next - you're in real danger of not quite being able to make that insurance payment that one time and then returning to a 'winder. That's not fun.

4. You will, eventually, get an AspX. There's no hurry. Learn what you want from a ship, what optionals and things you like to have, what sort of stuff you find most fun (I get a huge kick out of killing numpties who interdict me while I'm on a mission binge, eg), and then build a ship around that. A hundred people can give you a hundred different builds and not one of them will be perfect for you until you know what you need your ship to do.

Plus, you'll be coming into an all-rounder from a combat ship. Whatever you buy, it's going to feel like you're flying a fart-filled paper bag at first.

5. DBX is seriously underrated as a very cheap all-rounder that can be refitted to almost any purpose. The nice thing about it being so cheap is that you can play around and around with your outfitting without it ever costing a fortune. And you can keep all those extra bits in storage and return to them if you want to try something new.

6. Re fuel scoops: KGB FOAM are the scoopable star types. Heat management isn't so bad, and you can plot a route in your galaxy map to keep you jumping to scoopable systems as needed. If you want to compromise cargo space for scooping an extra 8 seconds before your tank is refilled, by all means, get the giant scoop. Or... get a DBX and buy BOTH scoops and play around.

7. Final thought: no point getting anywhere near an AspX until you have some engineers unlocked. To get them sorted, you'll need both an all-rounder and some kind of bang-bang shooty vessel. DBX and Eagle will serve you well, and also offer you cheap parts to sod around with when you start rolling your blueprints.

But, you know what, beyond all that... welcome to the game! Fly safe, stay crazy. And ignore anything the A-Team tell you - they're all drunks and fools.

Oh... wait...
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: NIVEUS

Postby NIVEUS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:59 am

Thanks Sockfiddler, I ended up selling my eagle as I was hoping to have a B jumpy jump jump drive out here but no such luck they all seem to be back at the starting area lol.

no big deal as I am planning on buying an Imp Eagle to fill that roll anyays
~FRIENDSHIP DRIVE CHARGING.....

I_HATE_TOAD_PIE
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: I_HATE_TOAD_PIE

Postby I_HATE_TOAD_PIE » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:47 am

When your down to 2% shield and have 143 jumps left makes these long distance road trips really entertaining
Friendship drive is Magic

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:13 pm

It depends mostly on how much funds you have and what your purpose is.
As basic all round upgrade to the cobra the dbx is brilliant but any extreme range build will be absolutely useless for doing anything but exploration.

If you are just bubble hopping you can do most your refuelling on your stops. The dbx is good with a sizeable enough tank you don't need to rely on scooping.

The major caveat with the dbx is of course its scoop size but that is also the final reason I didn't take it on my little sojourn to colonia.
Another thing is it is a little light on slots so you can't really fit shields, srv, scanners, and a couple of AFMS that would be nice to have on a long, since you will take module damage eventually, be it negligence or just bad luck, or simply taking advantage of neutron boosts.
Having a malfunctioning fsd 15kly from a station is a little dull.

I am also rather spoiled when it comes to scoops, I have a 7a on my corvette after all.
Anyhoo.
My main advice is to fly all the things as you wish.
Don't bother with YouTubers or online builds, it's a fairly simple game after all and trying something will at most cost 10% of ship value.
You get all the module value back, hence why my outfitting expenses is in the 30+ billions or something.
These things happen when you ask yourself what a t9 with a class 8a scoop is like.

As for range.
In my expereince the difference between say 40ly and 50ly is at most 5 jumps per 1000 ly.
That's like four minutes more travel time. if you also account for scooping at a rate of almost 342/s instead of 878/s, dbx and asp has the same size tank and fsd, you loose a lot more time in the scooping than in the jump range.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby NIVEUS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Considering the fact i went from LHS 278 to Ratraii in an Eagle, the diamondback is a huge improvement lol.

I am going to trade it in for an Asp when I get back "home" as I should have made some pocket change by the time I get back

Watchdog
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Watchdog
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Watchdog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm

I enjoy exploring with my DBX even more than in my ASP X. The Diamondback is lighter, easier to manoeuvre, and I am at nearly 51 ly jump range fully loaded for exploration. I did some enginering to both ships, but my DBX still seems to have a much better jump range. A lot of it may just be perrsonal preference and I think I am going to take the ASP X for the next trip to test some more stuff. Maybe I am going to try the Dolphin too.

Perhaps you already know about those, but let me offer two tips for a fellow explorer:

1) If you want to explore the galaxy, I would wholeheartedly recommend using Elite Dangerous Discovery: https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery

ED Discovery is a great tool. It keeps a log of all your ingame actions. It also has a voice telling you the results of your scans, including a very important information on the stars - the habitable zone, where you have the greatest chance to find terraformable worlds for the juiciest rewards.

2) Speaking of rewards for exploration, this is a very handy list: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... sual-guide

Fly safe, Commander. o7

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby NIVEUS » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:57 am

thanks those are awesome resources.

Slamdance Kozmopolis
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Slamdance Kozmopolis

Postby Slamdance Kozmopolis » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Watchdog wrote:1) If you want to explore the galaxy, I would wholeheartedly recommend using Elite Dangerous Discovery: https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery

ED Discovery is a great tool. It keeps a log of all your ingame actions. It also has a voice telling you the results of your scans, including a very important information on the stars - the habitable zone, where you have the greatest chance to find terraformable worlds for the juiciest rewards.

Have you tried E: D Market Connector/habzone?

If so, how do they compare?

I really love the simplicity of habzone and it does just what I need in it's little corner. I have it running in a transparent overlay in the upper right of my screen. I just jump in, scan the star, and habzone gives me a readout of all the important orbital zones...

Elite Dangerous Discovery looks interesting and cool, but it also looks like it might be really complicated and involve a lot of alt-tabbing to use.

Am I wrong?

Return to “Explorer Exchange”