Explorer Exchange
NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: NIVEUS
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Diamondback explorer or Asp Explorer

Postby NIVEUS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:13 pm

I was playing around with the Coriolis ship builder and I was wondering which is better for an explorer

is jump range more important that the fuel scoop size?

Diamondback Explorer with 40.6 range and a 4a scoop?

Asp Explorer with 37.2 range and a 6A scoop?
~FRIENDSHIP DRIVE CHARGING.....

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Diamondback explorer or Asp Explorer

Postby NIVEUS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:17 pm

there is also cost the Diamond back costs less, so if you lose it its less insurance

b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby b00st3d » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:17 pm

It depends on what you're budget is. In my opinion, the bigger scoop is more important than the extra couple ly jump range. You also get some more room for activities in the ASP

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby NIVEUS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 pm

b00st3d wrote:It depends on what you're budget is. In my opinion, the bigger scoop is more important than the extra couple ly jump range. You also get some more room for activities in the ASP

I am too new to the game to fully grasp what the numbers mean yet. I currently have a 3C scoop on an eagle after running with a 1A and noticed a huge difference but the jump range was about the same

b00st3d
Novice
Novice

Postby b00st3d » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 pm

The bigger the number, the better the component. The letter beside the number is the efficiency. A rated stuff is the 'best' but not necessarily best in all situations. If you're planning on doing some exploration, D rated components are the lightest and therefore give you a better jump range. In an exploration ship, your power plant and Frame Shift Drive should be the only things A rated and everything else D. An A rated power plant runs cooler so it's easier to scoop at the star. The bigger the fuel scoop, the faster it scoops.

The trick to exploration ships is to only put on what you need. Then get the smallest A rated power plant you can get to power what you need.

What's your budget and I can help you build a ship

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Personally I'd go for the Asp for the fuel scoop, a 6A fuel scoop will refill an empty 32T tank in about a third of the time of a 4A, which really reduces your overall travel time on long journeys.

It also depends on how long you intend to be out and if you intend to use a lot of neutron star boosts, then the larger AFMU in the Asp is also advantageous.

But for shorter exploration trips the DBx is perfectly good, especially if you are not flush with cash given that a 6A fuels scoop on its own is more than the cost of a fully exploration rigged DBx.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby NIVEUS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:24 pm

b00st3d wrote:The bigger the number, the better the component. The letter beside the number is the efficiency. A rated stuff is the 'best' but not necessarily best in all situations. If you're planning on doing some exploration, D rated components are the lightest and therefore give you a better jump range. In an exploration ship, your power plant and Frame Shift Drive should be the only things A rated and everything else D. An A rated power plant runs cooler so it's easier to scoop at the star. The bigger the fuel scoop, the faster it scoops.

The trick to exploration ships is to only put on what you need. Then get the smallest A rated power plant you can get to power what you need.

What's your budget and I can help you build a ship

My budget right now is 8 to 12 million I just started this January 1st and I am a filthy casual ;)
Last edited by NIVEUS on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby NIVEUS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Xebeth wrote:Personally I'd go for the Asp for the fuel scoop, a 6A fuel scoop will refill an empty 32T tank in about a third of the time of a 4A, which really reduces your overall travel time on long journeys.

It also depends on how long you intend to be out and if you intend to use a lot of neutron star boosts, then the larger AFMU in the Asp is also advantageous.

But for shorter exploration trips the DBx is perfectly good, especially if you are not flush with cash given that a 6A fuels scoop on its own is more than the cost of a fully exploration rigged DBx.

yeah fuel scoops are expensive

b00st3d
Novice
Novice

Postby b00st3d » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:51 pm

At that price range, a DBX is probably gonna be better for you. You can save a little over 2m buying the ASP from Li-Yong Rui controlled systems, but I still couldn't get a good explorer build under 12m. Trying to keep ASP close to 12M makes the jump range suffer as well so there you have it.

DBX: https://eddp.co/u/Xj2d5jEs 37.36Ly laden at 11.9M (10.1M if discounted ship)
ASP: https://eddp.co/u/GMMXDR5w 34.43Ly laden at 14.2M (12.3M if discounted ship)
Last edited by b00st3d on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

b00st3d
Novice
Novice

Postby b00st3d » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Forgot to mention, you can also find discounted outfitting. I set up shop around Lembava when I was living in the bubble for the outfitting discounts

Return to “Explorer Exchange”