Explorer Exchange
SyrionSyronimus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SyrionSyronimus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Diamondback explorer or Asp Explorer

Postby SyrionSyronimus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:55 pm

I have both and love both (started playing 11/26/2017) but currently spend most of my time in the AspX and swapping the 6A scoop with a 6-cargo to do cargo/merit runs in between exploration runs.

Watchdog
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Watchdog
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Watchdog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Slamdance Kozmopolis wrote:
Have you tried E: D Market Connector/habzone?

If so, how do they compare?

I really love the simplicity of habzone and it does just what I need in it's little corner. I have it running in a transparent overlay in the upper right of my screen. I just jump in, scan the star, and habzone gives me a readout of all the important orbital zones...

Elite Dangerous Discovery looks interesting and cool, but it also looks like it might be really complicated and involve a lot of alt-tabbing to use.

Am I wrong?

No, I have not tried that, I have actually never heard of that before. I have no idea what it is.

I am happy with ED Discovery and the only time when I ALT+TAB is when I need to re-check some data, such as the habitable zone of the stars if I forget the numbers for some reason. I would say as soon as you set the options to your likings, which takes just a moment of your time, you need not to worry about ED Discovery much. It works in the background and tells you the important things (you choose what is to be said).

I sometimes do spend some time in ED Discovery, reading past logs or filtering event to see some things, but I usually do that only after I finish my session.

Oh, and it can automatically make smaller copies of your screenshots and store them in a directory of your choosing. I have a directory with a sub-directors for each day, with each screenshot being just a couple hundred kilobytes JPEG files. The original much larger versions (approx. 5 MB BMP files) are kept in the default directory, but I have smaller versions to share via Discord or Imgur or whatever and sorted for easier search by dates.

Slamdance Kozmopolis
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Slamdance Kozmopolis

Postby Slamdance Kozmopolis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Watchdog wrote:
No, I have not tried that, I have actually never heard of that before. I have no idea what it is.

Here's links if you want to try it out.
EDMC
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=150

HabZone
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=432

Honestly, if you're happy with EDDiscovery, it would probably feel like a down grade... EDMC/HabZone is great for finding valuable planets but that's all it does.

When I get some time I might give EDDiscovery a try and see which tool is better for valuable planet hunting. I bet they're pretty close to the same for that.

Watchdog
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Watchdog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Slamdance Kozmopolis wrote:Here's links if you want to try it out.
EDMC
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=150

HabZone
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=432

Honestly, if you're happy with EDDiscovery, it would probably feel like a down grade... EDMC/HabZone is great for finding valuable planets but that's all it does.

When I get some time I might give EDDiscovery a try and see which tool is better for valuable planet hunting. I bet they're pretty close to the same for that.

Thank you for the links.

I do not hunt valuable planets using ED Discovery alone. I concentrate on F, G and K class stars, and given my 51+ ly jump range I only ever jump to these three classes, unless I have to cover a larger gap. ED Discovery helps me determine where the juciest rewards may be waiting, since the habitable zone has the best chance to have terraformables. Even terraformable HMC planets give nice rewards.

Slamdance Kozmopolis
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Slamdance Kozmopolis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Watchdog wrote:
Thank you for the links.

I do not hunt valuable planets using ED Discovery alone. I concentrate on F, G and K class stars, and given my 51+ ly jump range I only ever jump to these three classes, unless I have to cover a larger gap. ED Discovery helps me determine where the juciest rewards may be waiting, since the habitable zone has the best chance to have terraformables. Even terraformable HMC planets give nice rewards.

Yeah, that's my approach too. F, G, and K systems seem to have bigger habitable zones hence more valuable planets. I've found 4-5 terraformable HMCs in a single system.

One good thing about EDMC/HabZone is that it will tell you where to look for terraformables, but also water planets and ammonia planets. The later two types can exist way out side the habitable zone and aren't always easy to pick out on the system map.

I've found a lot of dirty brown water planets thanks to HabZone...

Also, this is really handy for confirming planet types at long distance!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous ... pdate_231/

Watchdog
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Watchdog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 am

Well, it is actually quite easy to differentiate the planets, if you listen to their "singing". Zoom to the planet in question in the System Map and listen. Each planet type has its own "song".

If you hear birds singing, then you hit the jackpot. You just found an Earth Like World. A terraformable Water World generally fetches the same reward, though.

Slamdance Kozmopolis
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Slamdance Kozmopolis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Yes, I've heard about the song method, but I've never been able to make it work for me. I guess I just don't have the ear (or patients) for it.

NIVEUS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: NIVEUS
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby NIVEUS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you for all the information.

I ended up keeping my DBX after all and bought the IMP eagle to tool around in.

I really like the look of the imperial ships.

I managed to go from no rank to Ranger in one trip made some good coin.
~FRIENDSHIP DRIVE CHARGING.....

Cavindar
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Cavindar

Postby Cavindar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Wait a minute did you fly a Eagle to Colonia.

b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d

Postby b00st3d » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Cavindar wrote:Wait a minute did you fly a Eagle to Colonia.

If you read from the beginning, OP flew in an eagle to Colonia in his first week playing the game. This guy is my hero.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”