Explorer Exchange
b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Planetary Gravity Calculator

Postby b00st3d » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 am

Good evening CMDRs. I have been out exploring between Colonia and Sagittarius A*. While out, I realized that I wanted to know what the gravity of various planets was so I could decide if I wanted to land there.
In response to this problem, I have written a tool to calculate the gravity of a planet given the planet's Earth Masses and it's Radius. This information is located in the info tab of the planet in the system map. Feel free to give me some feedback on this tool. I do plan on updating the page to display better on mobile devices.

You can find this tool at https://b00st3d.github.io/

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Planetary Gravity Calculator

Postby TorTorden » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 am

Or scan the planetoid.

Read system map details.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

b00st3d
Novice
Novice

Postby b00st3d » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Yeah you could scan the planet and get the same info. I wrote this because I saw a ringed planet I would have attempted to land on if it were less than 3x gravity. In order to scan that planet, I would have to fly 17k ls to get to it. This allows you to input the data at the star and make a decision if you want to go to the planet.
It can be hard to estimate from just looking at the screen before scanning because even a huge gas giant can have fairly low gravity. It's all due to the ratio between mass and radius.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Falcon_D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 am

This is actually a good idea. I’ve had on occasion to want to land on some planets but was either too far to do a detailed surface scan or just didn’t have my DSS with me. So on those occasions I either did not bother with the planet or ended up getting caught in a high gravity situation while trying to land.

b00st3d
Novice
Novice

Postby b00st3d » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:12 am

Just updated so it now uses a color scheme similar to E:D. Also, found an error that was preventing the form from submitting when you press enter.

https://b00st3d.github.io/

Return to “Explorer Exchange”