Early exploration questions - all purpose ship / data containers / surface dangers / risk management

Explorer Exchange
sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Early exploration questions - all purpose ship / data containers / surface dangers / risk management

Postby sean_crow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Greetings explorers,

since I'm trying to explore right now and I'm a so new to this game, I got a bunch of questions.
I searched the web and the forum but maybe I didn't use the right terms.
If I missed the thread where parts of or all my questions are answered, I would appreciate to get a link.
If not, I hope to find answers.

I try to get an early long exploration all-purpose vessel.
After seeing all these loadouts of all ships I still feel like I miss something.

Got my Cobra MKIII with a ADS/DSS, FS and solid FSD
I fly around, scooping and scanning the systems.
That's fine. Learning by doing.

Then my "problems" start:
1. Data containers
I detect an unknown signal source that I check out and I find a data container that I can not collect because I have no cargo rack.
So I feel like I need a cargo rack.

2. Surface exploration
Then I read about findings on the surface of planets but I can not go there because I have no hangar.
So I feel like I need a vehicle hangar.

3. Surface landing dangers
I continue reading and learn about crash landings when commanders underestimate the g force.
So I feel like I need a shield generator and maybe not the cheapest thrusters

4. Wear off
I realize that I still take damage by being inexperienced, inattentive or just by bad luck.
So I feel like I need AFMU. Better two since one it can not repair itself.

So according to the possibilities this would my internal modules list:
1. Advanced Discovery Scanner - must
2. Detailed Surface Scanner - must
3. Fuel Scoop - must
4. Auto Field Maintenance Unit - feeling better with one
5. Auto Field Maintenance Unit 2 - feeling even better with two
6. Planetary Vehicle Hangar - surface exploration
7. Shield Generator - feeling better with one
8. Cargo Rack - data container collection

There are not many ships a beginner can afford that offer sufficient internal compartments.
The ASP Explorer has 7.
The Cobra MKIV has 8.

Now I would like to know how experienced explorers would handle this.
And I got questions to the mentioned problems.

--> 1. Data containers
Do you collect this data containers while exploring? Do you consider it as an explorers task? (I don't even know what they contain. I read some information about data that lead to missions/riddles/etc.)

--> 2. Surface exploration
Do you land on planets and drive around when you're on a long trip? And why would I need more than one of these vehicles? Is this for multi crew purposes or do they crash so easy that I need a backup?

--> 3. Surface landing dangers
I understand that better shields/thrusters protect you better. But I don't know how strong my shields and thrusters have to be to protect me from crashing a ship of a certain mass on a planet with a certain gravity. Is there any suggestion?

--> 4. Wear off
I saw loadouts with even more than two AFMUs. I am happy to have at least one. Am I too chicken-hearted? How do other commanders see it?

Off course I have ideas what could be possible answers to some of those questions.

---> 1. Data containers
Concentrate on one topic. At least until you have enough credits to afford a ship with all the compartments you need. Be aware that you sacrifice manoeuvrability.
Or:
These data containers are better collected with a loadout that allows you to follow the hints given in it to the next step. Don't bother with it while exploring. (Then I wonder why I find them far away)

---> 2. Surface exploration
Definitely an explorers task since Horizons. If you like it - go for it.
You need more than one vehicle because... ?

---> 3. Surface landing dangers
The weaker your thrusters and shields are, the more careful you have to be.
But you can (theoretical) land the biggest ship with the weakest components on a plant with heavy g force.

---> 4. Wear off
The more experience you gain, the less will you need to repair from your faults. There is still the chance of popping out between two stars, but hey... no risk no fun.

Bonus question:
Why is the Cobra MKIV never mentioned for exploration?
It is inferior in terms of jump range but with 8 internal compartments it would fit my needs better than any other ship. And less range means more exploration! Don't know about other pros/cons.

That's it for now.
I hope to get some answers.

Thank you!
sean_crow

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Early exploration questions - all purpose ship / data containers / surface dangers / risk management

Postby Trinity Star » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Be aware any sort of cargo makes you a target for interdiction for npc pirates closer to the bubble.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Early exploration questions - all purpose ship / data containers / surface dangers / risk management

Postby Xebeth » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:46 pm

1. Data containers
Ignore them, they are worth very little and contain nothing of interest, all they do is reduce your jump range and make you a target for pirates on your return

2. Surface exploration
You can find materials on planets for synthesis. You can use synthesis for things like single increases to your jump range and refiling your AFMU. Also driving around on planets is fun and an interesting break from the flying.
I've been to the core and back with one SRV, loosing an SRV is rare unless you are reckless, also you can repair your SRV using materials you can find.

3. Surface landing dangers
Very high G worlds are generally only a real problem for very large ships, that said hard landings can happen and a shield will stop the accidental damage, however as long as you are careful a small one generally suffices.

4. Wear off
Damage can happen, although it is pretty rare. The most common way to take damage is from heat (being inattentive when scooping, or arriving in between two very close stars), that said 'hard' landings can also cause damage. An AFMU helps, but is not essential, many explorers have travelled tens of thousands of light years without one.

Ships

It's basically up to you, people have been to Beagle Point in everything from a Sidewinder to a Type 9, there are even Corvettes at the core.
Most explores however favour jump range, if you want to see more then just set your jumps to economic, but there are areas of the galaxy that you can only reach with a high jump range.

As for the Cobra MKIV, well it's jump range is not great, and of course it is not available to everyone (you had to own both Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons before the 5th of Feb 2016 on PC, have a Lifetime Expansion pass, or for Xbox One purchased the Horizons season pass before the 30th of July, 2016).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 pm

For surface landing, it is not required to have high-class or high-rated thrusters, technique is much more important than equipment. The "vertical up" thrusters have a magic buff that allow any ship with any thruster to land on and take off from any landable planet found so far, including the 9.9 G one near Colonia.

To see a demonstration of the secret buff in action, find a world with 1.5+ G, enter orbital cruise, decent to about 20 km, and go throttle 0 while keep your ship level. You will see that your ship stays at the same altitude without problem. Now roll your ship by 90 degrees, and what how you sink. Roll back, and the ship will eventually stop.

If you give yourself more safety room, you can also try to pitch up 90 degrees. If the gravity is high enough, your main engines at full power will not be enough to slow your fall. However, as soon as you put your ship exactly level again, it will slowly come to a stop.

That being said, having some shields is a good idea if you plan to land on planets.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow

Postby sean_crow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you commanders! Very much appreciated! :)
That is good news!

The answers concerning the data containers solve all of my problems.
I can go for the ASPX, put in all the 7 modules I feel I need and leave the cargo rack without missing important parts of the game.

The hint to find materials to refill the AFMU is really interesting.
I slowly run out of ammunition and will have soon have to turn back but if I have the vehicle hangar next time, I can stay as long as I feel like.
That even takes the danger from hard landings as long as I don't run my ship 6 foot deep in the rocks.
Surface exploration sounds fun.

And that even the classes of thrusters are not important to surface landing is also great news!

It seems I worried more than I need. Just wait for me bawling when I crashed my ship because of the wrong technique. ;)
It took my always 2-3 tries when I was trading or mission running and planetary stations have been the destination.

Really great answers!
Thanks!
o7
sean_crow

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 pm

This thread on the frontier forum contains some examples how and how not to land in 9.9G:
High Gravity Landing Club meet at Kyloalks DL-Y G17 IV
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Tojo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Tojo Silmar

Postby Tojo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 pm

If you want to make some first experience I would suggest to have a look at the Diamond Back Explorer as a first exploration vessel. It's cheaper thn the ASPX but reaches a decent jump range of 35 ly's if fitted with 5A FSD (which will be more expensive than the rest of the vessel ;). It has less internals than the ASPX, but you want need more for a start. More important is to reduce weight to reach a better jump range (the D modules are alwyas the one's with less weight) and to have a good fuel scope (in order to save time for refueling). And even if you take some damage if you get to close to a sun it will be some 2%, so you don't need a ATFM for reapairs. Linke below is a setup which would do for the start (totals 4.7 Mio. CR), but you may exchange the FSD to a better one if you can afford it (with %A total 9.6 Mio. CR). (and use corilios to play around with some fittings).

[url]https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer?code=A0pdtdFilddisdf5---0202--3348v62i2f24.Iw18UA%3D%3D.Aw18UA
%3D%3D..EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwV0A%3D&bn=dbx[/url]

okay, i need to learn how to add links to posts ....

Return to “Explorer Exchange”