Explorer Exchange
Draco84oz
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Draco84oz
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Wanderings of a crazy explorer

Postby Draco84oz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am

So, current location: Blooe Ploe CL-Y G4 ABC 1, somewhere on the nothern hemisphere.

Current action: trying to determine if this O-class star I'm looking at is so bright that its in the Ultra-Violet range of the light band.

Current musing - I'm nearly 50,000 LY from Sol, and I've still got more to go.

I started this journey nearly a year ago - it was the second relaunch of the FGE's Sagittarius-Carina mission, as we'd all sped back to the bubble to pick up our SRVs when Horizon had dropped. It was an ambitious mapping project, meant to be done at our own pace, allowing us to take diversions at our leisure. And I liked it - I could jump through systems, see the occasional interesting item, log a few earth-likes whilst I was at it.

Only I probably spent too long on out here - others finished and headed back, started with the Engineers, and started Colonia...but you know, its kind of grown on me. The Linebacker isn't the most spacious of ships (i'm constantly kicking Boots out of my bunk when I take a nap), but it certainly gets the job done, with a 31 Ly range, and about 20 charges of T1 Jumponium in storage if needed.

And its gotten me this far...

(yes, there are a couple of areas where it tracking has jumped - I can't figure out why it did so, and why it isn't picking up the rest of my logs...go figure)

And in that time, I've logged 5 major POIs, and 20 minor ones, including 14 Earth-likes, 7 Ammonia Worlds, 5 Water Worlds, a "depot" system, and a several stellar items: twin Herbig Stars in close formation, a black hole in close orbit around an G-Class,. I also found that the "lower" neutron field that the Hurt Highway uses extends down the Sagittarius Arm.

And I've still got 7 waypoints (~35,000 Ly) until I reach Beagle Point.

After that...well, the expedition's original plan was to come back via the Core and 15 Sagitarii. But you know...I'm thinking I might continue on with a circumnavigation. Get it out of my system so I can come back and enjoy the advancements that have been made whilst I was gone.

Assuming it doesn't get blown up in the meantime...

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice
CMDR: yah-ta-hey
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Wanderings of a crazy explorer

Postby yah-ta-hey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 am

You have certainly wracked up an impressive list in your wandering.
I have only travelled 19000 ly from Jameson and out of 2000 + lines of data, I have listed a part of 256 lines for your preview:
Earth likes: 1
Water worlds: 52
Gas giants with water life: 5
gas giants with ammonia life: 5
Class II gas giants: 8
metal rich planets: 2
Terraformable planets: 60
high metal planets: lots and lots
even found a DAB star: pulsating white dwarf
white dwarfs and neutrons: lost count.

never even got close to SAG A. headed to Colonia.... should get there by April.. about easter time.
From 1 crazy to another: I salute you. :D
"I WISH I WAS A SPACEMAN, THE FASTEST GUY ALIVE" BUT I AINT .
with apology to fireball XL-5. :)

Draco84oz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Draco84oz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:51 am

Well, waypoint 14 reached. 54k Ly from Sol, and five waypoints to go.

She's looking a little worse for wear...

Draco84oz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Draco84oz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:30 am

I gotta stop listening to my gut - in retrospect, its probably been running on the same ration of protein for the last six months, and is probably wrong in most respects.

...and that is why you don't try to think about what your food synthesizers are doing whilst on long-haul trips like this...

One of my usual fallacies is that I'll see a star on the map and think, "yeah, that looks like some place I could find an earth-like." So I'll plot a course, arrive in system, ping, and...find nothing. "Oh well, there's always next time."

I'm currently in the Byae Chrea sector (57k Ly from Sol), and I saw an interesting cluster - a G-class surrounded by 3 F-classes. "ooh, this looks interesting".

The G-class has a single high-metal world with a 311atm pressure and temp of 87K. One F-class has as part of its system a Water world with a pressure of 33atm and a temp of 528K. Another F-Class had 2 water world, both with a temp of 400K, and one of which had an orbital period of 14 days, oh, and is tidally locked whilst being in a binary system with a High-metal. But still not habitable...

*Sigh...*

19k Ly to Beagle Point

Draco84oz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Draco84oz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Made it to Beagle Point - finally...

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Congratulations and welcome to 65000 LY club.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:06 pm

65000 LY Club! You guys (generic) are made of tougher stuff than me. o7

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm

For the though people, there is always the Deep Space Challenge to reach a distance of more than 65374 ly from Sol, the current record is 65647.34 ly, but it needs a ship that can do a 100 LY jump, so only conda/AspX/DBX need apply. Details here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ub-ver-3-0
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Draco84oz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Draco84oz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for the link on the 65k list. My application is on p23, but I'm on a list!

Oh, and also, route so far (again, sorry for the gaps in the logging).

Return to “Explorer Exchange”