Explorer Exchange
Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Exploring easier after 2.1?

Postby Jeffers2112 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 am

I've had a bit of a break from Elite (actually been playing Fallout 4 Far Harbour) while things settled down after the upgrade.
I had a bit of a play about with the Beta but that was mainly messing about with ships I couldn't normally afford.
I'm on an exploration trip in the main game, 30-odd klys from Sol, sort of heading towards Beagle Point.
A couple of things since 2.1 seem to be making things easier.
Firstly, bookmarks are great to highlight a few landmarks along the way as an aid to navigation.
Secondly, it seems to me the system map generation has gotten much faster. I can have a look at the nav screen, decide whether or not the system's worth looking at, and get a map generated before the main star scan has finished. That really saves a lot of time, I used to get really bored with waiting for the map to come up.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Re: Exploring easier after 2.1?

Postby Xebeth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Both are good improvements, however Mike Brookes has been dropping big hints that it may not be as safe 'out there' as it used to be (but this could be BS), it's certainly won't be as safe when you come back (or it may be if the AI gets nerfed back down).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:07 pm

If anything, the map is much slower to load for me. Plenty responsive once it does load, but sometimes I wonder if I even hit the button.

I think we will find some malevolent force out there, but probably not until 2.4. Also, if you do happen to find a thargoid out there, be nice to them. We want them shooting with us, not at us.

CMDRBuxton
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Buxton
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby CMDRBuxton » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:03 pm

One really good feature is that the log file now includes the coordinates of the system you jump into.

Makes EDSM a hell of a lot better.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:20 am

Schmobius wrote:... Also, if you do happen to find a thargoid out there, be nice to them. We want them shooting with us, not at us.

Are you kidding? FD thinks the only legitimate way to have real fun is to shoot each other, preferably cmdr to cmdr. I'll pretty much guarantee you that any Thargoids will be shooting first and asking questions later. And I also suspect that if you hang around you will be dead, unless you are very good and very well armed (and probably in a wing).
It's time to give this another go.

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:41 pm

If FDev hadn't already commented a bit on this, I would agree with you.

They've gone on record as saying how the thargoids react to us depends upon how the first person they run into interacts with them. If it's some pew-pew type or griefer, we are screwed. It also sounds like there will be some OTHER alien power out there, and this will determine if the thargoids fight with us, or with that other power against us.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 pm

And they just retracted that statement and instead of giving thargoids the cure for the space aids we gave them. It was a doze of space ebola.

In short if we ever find a thargoid they will hate us on sight.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:55 pm

What's the first thing that someone did when they found a barnacle? They shot it. It will probably be someone in open who first runs into a Thargoid, and given the chance they'll shoot it too, as that's what people in open do. That's based on my previous experiences in open. Based on my previous experience with Thargoids, they'll get their ass handed to them. :roll:

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Dodging overpowered npcs is bad enough. I would hope that anyone who meets a thargoid would at least attempt to not provoke them, so we don't have one more thing trying to kill us.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Where's the fun in that! :P

Return to “Explorer Exchange”