Gauging Interest: From Pleides to The Four (and maybe more?) "Galactic Sausage" Tour

Explorer Exchange
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Gauging Interest: From Pleides to The Four (and maybe more?) "Galactic Sausage" Tour

Postby thebs » Mon May 23, 2016 4:26 pm

So, once 2.1 hits, I'm thinking about doing some exploring, and seeing if anyone is interested in going out only 1,500ly or so.
► Show Spoiler

This 'tour' will start at Maia in the Pleides Nebula, which I'm headed towards now. I call it ...

"The Four (and maybe more?) 'Galactic Sausage' Tour."

These are long clusters of stars that, when you look at the far end towards the front end, are pointed right at Sol. Yeah, seems the FD devs had some fun creating these. ;)

Two (2) of the 'Galactic Sausages' are in the middle of nebulae. The first is obvious ...
    1) Orion Thick Sausage - from roughly V2088 Orinis to V2277 Orinis, which is heavily engulfed by the Orion Nebula
The second isn't difficult to find, just a much smaller nebula ...
    2) NGC 1333 Thin Sausage - from roughtly WMW2010 105 to WMW2010 59, the nebula is in the middle of the long run of stars

There are two (2) others without nebulae, which you can probably spot if you look around. One is thick, and I believe it was the same one pointed out to me by CMDR Hardy (Gorf). One is thin and nearly 500ly long. I suspect if we look yet more, we'll find one or two more. But in every case of these four (4), they are all pointed at Sol, not so much the core of the galaxy. ;)

I'm not planning on doing anything formal. Just want to find people who want to wing up and head out sometime later this month, shortly after 2.1 drops. Maybe we'll find one system undiscovered. In fact, I keep Google searching, as we can't be the only ones who noticed these clusters before ... especially the others not around Orion, or even NGC 1333 for that matter.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Gauging Interest: From Pleides to The Four (and maybe more?) "Galactic Sausage" Tour

Postby de Carabas » Mon May 23, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm more thinking of a long tour out. I'm going to need to do a pretty solid run beyond Sag A* to move from Pioneer to Elite.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

thebs
Master
Master

Sausages on the way home from getting Crabs?

Postby thebs » Mon May 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Actually, in reviewing the Crab Nebula Tour ...
- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=241638

In addition to the Orion "Sausage," see it basically leaves a couple of the "Sausages" for exploration on the way back (green route'). So ... if anyone is doing the Crab Nebula Tour, after stop #10 on the "green route," I'm thinking of that slow trip back through some of them.

CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Re: Gauging Interest: From Pleides to The Four (and maybe more?) "Galactic Sausage" Tour

Postby Gorf » Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm

I love the idea of a sausage tour if only to look at it end on, and from the side, from a distance.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon May 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Gorf wrote:I love the idea of a sausage tour if only to look at it end on, and from the side, from a distance.
Yeah, it would be interesting to see what the arrangement looked like from about 50-100ly out.

"View Galactic Sausages ... from Deep Space!"
BTW, this is beginning to sound like either an adult movie title, or a codename for illegal tapping of phones. ;)

Let's just all focus on getting [to] the Crabs. ;)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon May 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Yeah, I'd expect a sausagefest from FD, but are there any melons, peaches, and figs? :lol:
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”