Halfway Halfassed Tour: Organizing and Logistics.

Explorer Exchange
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Halfway Halfassed Tour: Organizing and Logistics.

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 03, 2016 1:16 am

If you are gung-ho about it. You should be able to keep an average time of under 50 seconds per jump.
By my tests aprox 48 seconds for a jump, quick honk $ scoop.
So a 35Ly ship can cover 1000 Ly in just over 22 minutes.

So if you don't scan a single star or planet you can technically be in sag a* in just about 9.2 hours.
Theoretically..

Nothing happens on theory.
;)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Jeffers2112 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:39 am

TorTorden wrote:If you are gung-ho about it. You should be able to keep an average time of under 50 seconds per jump.

So if you don't scan a single star or planet you can technically be in sag a* in just about 9.2 hours.
Theoretically..

;)

The Buckyball Sag A* race records show the best time as 8hours 43min 43sec in an Anaconda. That's really going for it!
Best Asp time is 9h 17m 30s, which is pretty near your estimate, well done!
I did think I might just have a go at seeing how quickly I could do 1kly. No honking and only scooping when needed.
It'd keep me amused for a while and get me a bit closer to Beagle Point!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 03, 2016 10:01 am

Jeffers2112 wrote:
TorTorden wrote:If you are gung-ho about it. You should be able to keep an average time of under 50 seconds per jump.

Theoretically..

;)

The Buckyball Sag A* race records show the best time as 8hours 43min 43sec in an Anaconda. That's really going for it!
Best Asp time is 9h 17m 30s, which is pretty near your estimate, well done!
I did think I might just have a go at seeing how quickly I could do 1kly. No honking and only scooping when needed.
It'd keep me amused for a while and get me a bit closer to Beagle Point!

Heres my math for it.
A is Ly pr jump.
S is time per jump
D is distance in thousanda of ly.
Result is in hours (metric)

http://imgur.com/giONqf0

Granted I haven't done much actual exploring but have been tweaking about with various fits.
It also so happens that the California nebula or the lagoon is pretty much 1000ly from Diaguandri and it's 15% discount so makes for great "shakedown" runs.

I believe I tested this so a 35ly (conda with buggies) could make it there in just under 25 minutes.
The clipper I might be taking with a mere range of 25ly made the same run in just under 40 minutes I believe, still way under the 1hr/1kly mark.

I don't carry extra tanks, I prefer rather getting a max level scoop and it's not like you can use the money for something else out there.
Scooping on opportunity is my suggested method, running low means you have to adjust your route and that costs you considerable time.

Anyhoo I think I am rambling at this time..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Anyhoo I think I am rambling at this time..

Nothing wrong with a bit of rambling I say....

Had a go at a 1k speed run. Closest I could get was 969lys in 35 jumps. Due to the star density or configuration that worked out at 27.7 ly/jump, which is well below the 33+ that my Asp can do.

I made it in 33mins 14 secs, with one scooping mishap that cost me some time (and 2% off my hull!)
I did find that I had time to honk as the FSD cooled down but I didn't detail scan anything and tried to scoop only when it was needed. I didn't like to get much below a half-tank so I could probably have gotten away with a bit less.
There was a small voice telling me I might be missing all sorts of good finds, but I ignored it!

So I reckon I could manage 2k/hr if necessary but I don't think it would be much fun for very long....
Last edited by Jeffers2112 on Tue May 03, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Tue May 03, 2016 4:25 pm

I think most of us are a little more casual at the travel :)

I have been looking to see if I can make our own route. Was thinking of places such as the Cat's Paw Nebula, Eagle Nebula and such. I just have to have the time to sit in game and study the map.

If anyone else wants to take a look at the map and suggest some alternative places to visit rather than the DW course, please post them. We have time since we won't be leaving till at least we have had some time to see what bugs they introduce in 2.1 :P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue May 03, 2016 10:15 pm

I have been thinking that doing a nebula tour might be an option, instead of going to Sag A. Some advantages would be that if guys join the group after we head out, or have RL commitments for a few days, it wouldn't be hard to rejoin the group at waypoints if we are picking nebulas that are in a radius around the bubble (at whatever given distance) rather than making a B-line for Sag A.

Here are a few resources that could get us started, if this is something that the group finds interesting...

Nebulas that are close to the bubble:

http://i.imgur.com/hUna3LU.jpg

list of planetary nebula:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141595

another list of 'interesting nebula' :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=160139

What do you guys think?
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed May 04, 2016 5:47 pm

JohnLuke wrote:<snip>

Indeed a good idea, nebulae are far more interesting that the basic trip to Sag A* (which is somewhat repetitive), the two could of course be combined Sag A* via a list of nebulae
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am

Xebeth wrote:Indeed a good idea, nebulae are far more interesting that the basic trip to Sag A* (which is somewhat repetitive), the two could of course be combined Sag A* via a list of nebulae

This is what I was thinking as well. Since today is a Holiday here, I was going to jump in game later and do some searching for an alternative Route. Will post what I find for discussion.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Susanna Saunders
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Susanna Saunders

Postby Susanna Saunders » Fri May 06, 2016 1:27 am

Firstly, while the idea of exploring sounds great, just running a given distance in a given time doesn’t float my boat. I'm over 50 so I'm more the gentler pace kind of lady. I'd be wanting to 'explore' as I went along, meaning doing a adv. System scan and check out any interesting features like prestine metallic rings, (I'm an ObsidianAnt fan :roll: ), maybe even do a little mining at a good spot. So the journey is a lot more important to me than the distance covered. I'd rather cover a quarter of the distance if it means I have time to do it justice. Just watching my screen while I do jump after jump... Boring.
Secondly, I work full time and have RL commitments (and a partner that likes to see me and have some attention once in a blue moon) so I can't play every evening/weekend. So for me, the pace needs to be slow, especially if meeting up and chatting along the way to discuss our little finds and interesting adventures.
Thirdly, I like the idea of checking out nebula and nebula with planets. Got to be more interesting than a dash to Sag A which has already been done a thousand times already. So for me, It's got to offer something interesting to explore....
And lastly, I'd be travelling in a conda with a SRV and (possibly) mining kit and some basic weapons. The dev team have implied that weapons will be needed post 2.1 patch in deep space... (Worm hole aliens :evil: !). So I'll probably be packing a couple of C3 beamers, and a couple of mining lasers for some painite/other resources.
I'll have some time at the weekend so I'll look into an interesting route etc and get back with a few thoughts.
Btw, the planning you have done already looks awesome! Very impressed! I've not used Discord but again, I'll look into that at the weekend. Do we have a 'channel' we can use to meet up and make plans? It would greatly speed up the process of swopping ideas and getting a common consensus on how to run such a venture... Perhaps a regular time slot (3pm Sunday sounds good to me) to discuss current position and updates... :shock:
PS suggest using teamspeak until we have a concensus on which chat client as more ppl have used it.
PSS given the better weather, and ppl being out more at the weekend, perhaps a week night might be best. Tuesday at 7pm (UK) works for a week day slot for me personally.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Fri May 06, 2016 6:23 am

I managed to do a list of nebulas to visit, now I just have to put them in some sort of travel order that makes sense otherwise we are going to be doing a zigzag across the galaxy 400 times ;)

I will probably make it a long and short route for those who want to do a shorter run. As far as scheduling the meets, we have one vote for Slow and one vote for Fast. I am afraid I will be disappointing some of you. Fortunately the tour can also be a self guided one that you can follow at your own speed, regardless if that is at Impulse or Warp speed (see what I did there?)

More details to come later today as soon as the numbers get mashed and the places get sorted.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “Explorer Exchange”