Halfway Halfassed Tour: Organizing and Logistics.

Explorer Exchange
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Halfway Halfassed Tour: Organizing and Logistics.

Postby Loriath » Mon May 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Wow, what's that - 5 weeks to go 30,000LY? That's less than 1/2 hour a day travel time plus exploring, ..., I don't think I could take another slow paced expedition like that again. But I understand not everybody would be able to keep a faster pace.

That is why I proposed it for feedback. It's not written in stone and has to be manageable for most of us. I am just using this as a start for discussion.

I know I could do quite a bit in a short period but others may not. What do you suggest that would be reasonable?

Should we make our own path?

Give us ideas.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon May 02, 2016 2:20 pm

I like the idea of using discord as I am quite familiar with it. As for the rest, I cannot do meeting at Tuesdays easily do to work, I can do them Wednesdays and Sundays usually. Well, the rest must chime in on that.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 02, 2016 3:37 pm

I see no reason what so ever to just follow the DW.
Whole point of exploring is to well explore. Following the DW is more like tourism and not even the backpacking kind.

BTW your clipper fit is just the hauler ;)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon May 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Loriath, it's your trip so you should set the schedule however you want. I just thought you were trying to rank up exploring and not go on a tourist vacation. I think explorers normally go a little faster than that. They also try to find unexplored areas so they can get the 'discovered by' bonus. Also, so soon after 2.1 drops, I'd think people would want to get back to the game asap.

If was planing a trip (by myself), I'd head off at some odd angle until I found some unexplored space, then turn for the core. I'd probably travel about 4000LY a day, which would take about 2 hours. I'd also explore profitable systems about another 2 hours. I'd probably spend a little more time on the weekend and I'd be there in a week, and back a week later. But I've traveled over 350,000LY, so I'm an old hand at exploration.

Now if I wanted to be part of a group, I could see taking a more leisurely pace. 2000LY a day is only 1 hour a day travel time for those that don't have a lot of time, and that would take about 2 weeks. Then you can pad that as much as you want with exploring systems and a few meetups (and Netflix). I'd also stay away from tourist attractions like nebulae because the space around them will be explored to death.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents. I may feel a little differently about a longer trip next month. ;)

PS. I've heard only great things about Discord, although I haven't tried it myself. It looks 1000 times better than Skype at any rate.
It's time to give this another go.

Ghworg
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ghworg

Postby Ghworg » Mon May 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Wow, what's that - 5 weeks to go 30,000LY? That's less than 1/2 hour a day travel time plus exploring, over a route that has already been picked over by over 1000 commanders. After spending all that time on the DWE, I don't think I could take another slow paced expedition like that again. But I understand not everybody would be able to keep a faster pace.

It doesn't seem slow to me, that sounds like quite a brisk pace based on my normal travel speed. Admittedly I imagine travelling in an explorer specced ship will be faster, not loaded done with all that cargo and guns and crap, so I'd be going faster than my normal 1000ly/hr (estimated). So 6000ly/wk seems like a good pace to me, I doubt I could keep up with something significantly faster than that.

As to the route, it doesn't matter to me at all. What I am planning on is once we reach the core I will spend some time scanning high value stars there, then do a dog-leg route back to find some pristine stars to stamp my name on. All routes out are as good as each other to me, as long as someone else does all the hard work of planning it :)

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Mon May 02, 2016 6:18 pm

I would agree to go towards an unexplored or a not so explored area and then head for the core whoch is a must see :)

Then return towards another path to explore more systems.

Diversity on the the jump range would also give the first discovery bonus to different commanders...

Kust my two Euro-cents :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon May 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Okay lets get something straight right from the start.

This ain't my show.

May have been my idea and I don't mind doing some legwork and logistics, but this is very much a community event in my mind.

I know that no matter what we choose, how fast/slow long/short we end up going, its not going to be perfect for all of us, but I would rather we do this as a group than for someone to make all the choices and it works for only a few.

Give us ideas. Places, speed, times. I'll put it together but I need some input from people that want to take part.

I am already looking at an alternative path but without the scouting of meeting places, we will surely be living up to the HalfAssed idea ;P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Mon May 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Loriath don't get me wrong, I just made a suggestion. I do not know when this will happen and if I will be available then, although I ordered a portable joystick to go along with me on business trips (hope it does not break again).

Whatever the majority decides I am in to the extend possible of course.
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, I may have misunderstood the purpose of this trip, or maybe it has morphed into something else. In any case, I made Elite before the DWE and exploration has become more about the destination. I've also just come 65,000LY back from Beagle Point in less than 2 weeks, so I have high speed travel on my mind. If you really want to explore, making economical jumps and scanning a lot of systems to maximize your exploration credits, then your original estimate could actually be relatively fast.

So traveling in an exploration ship is about 2000LY/hr, while exploring could easily be 1/10 of that or even slower, but I doubt anybody wants to take 5 months to get to the core. So maybe 5 weeks ain't so bad, but I guess I'd still prefer it went a little faster. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:15 am

2000ly/h seems pretty fast to me. In my Asp I reckon 1000/h if I'm hurrying, a bit slower otherwise, depending of what looks like it'll be worth checking out.
I'm not sure how people can travel so fast, unless they're missing out on scanning most systems. Just the hyperspace jump and a scan takes about half a minute, then rather more to generate a system map and any other scanning. I do tend to scoop as I do the system scan so that doesn't really take up more time, but I don't see the point of rushing about as fast as you can if you're supposed to be exploring....

Return to “Explorer Exchange”