Explorer Exchange
Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Close call!

Postby Jeffers2112 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:33 am

So I'm over a month into an exploration trip, heading round the galaxy with the intent of crossing to Beagle Point at some stage.
I'm 20kly from Sol, 15kly from Sag A* and I've found a little cluster with some neutron stars and white dwarves in it.
Thinks "I'll collect a few of these" and start working my way through them.
Enters one system and it's "EEK!" I arrived by passing through a "G" type to end up in front of the Neutron star I'd targeted.
"That was a bit hairy" I thinks as I pull up the system map to see what's going on.
I find that the neutron star is part of a triple with the type "G" I'd had a close encounter with and a white dwarf as well.
Next thing I hear is "Heat levels critical!". So I get back to the cockpit display to see the temperature rising rapidly, in fact it got to over a 100% before I worked out was was going on
It seems that when I entered the system through the "G" type I ended up only just past it, between it and the neutron star.
I nearly panicked at that point, I had visions of being blown up many many light years from home and losing all the exploration data accumulated so far.
Fortunately I calmed down enough to study the scanner and find the direction I needed to go to get out.
So it was bring her head round and throttle up......
After a few agonising seconds with the temperature at stupid levels above 100% and smoke coming from the panel it finally started to cool down and I had a sigh of relief as things got back to normal.
Amazingly little damage had been done, with a couple of percent or so knocked off a few modules and no hull damage.
Fortunately I'm equipped with a pair of AFMUs so after a bit of a repair session things are almost as good as new.....
Just goes to show that you mustn't ever get complacent, the galaxy can be a scary place!

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Close call!

Postby Boozeman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35 pm

HI,

I have same kind of experience in system Wepue DL-Y g1202 while I was going my voyage back home.

Jump ends thru A-class star and black hole and then stops. My mouse nearly flow in my hand and I swear a lot! After a short freeze I was monitoring the temperature of the ship and was still in hyper cruise. Both of the object's was straight behind my ship when honking.

That was the last time to jump without proper check the align of the multiple stars. Actually there was about 100 single star systems on a row after that incident. Many times I was stumbled upon system with 3 Class B0 VZ stars in one clump. They left unexplored...

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert

Postby Jeffers2112 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:05 pm

I've just had another scary close encounter with a multiple star system.
No hull damage this time, just a bit of module damage that I've repaired.
I know it'd slow me down but I think I might follow Boozeman's lead and start checking destination systems and stick to single star systems for a while. I've got two months exploration data now, I don't want to risk losing that....

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sat May 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Jeffers2112 wrote:...start checking destination systems and stick to single star systems for a while.

How can you check that? All I get from next system is the star class, no idea how many stars there are.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert

Postby Jeffers2112 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Jeffers2112 wrote:...start checking destination systems and stick to single star systems for a while.

How can you check that? All I get from next system is the star class, no idea how many stars there are.

The information screen gives you a list of what stars are there. So, more than one star listed means multiple star system.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sun May 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Jeffers2112 wrote:The information screen gives you a list of what stars are there. So, more than one star listed means multiple star system.

Thanks, that could come handy. Any idea what the markings mean, like this one:
M0 VA, M7 VA, L5 V
The 'pop-up info' says that star class is M (Red dwarf), so I assume that the system has two M class stars (one of these being the "main" star) and one L class. But the numbers, VA and V are still in the dark for me.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert

Postby Jeffers2112 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:35 am

The number after the star type is it's temperature within that star type range, with 0 being hottest and 9 coolest.
Not 100% sure about the letters, but V seems to represent main sequence. Our Sun being a G2V.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Cometborne » Mon May 16, 2016 11:24 am

The letter are for luminosity, with I being the brightest, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Return to “Explorer Exchange”