Cargo : 8 T
Fuel : 32 T
Mass : 359.3 T empty
399.3 T full
Range : 31.48 LY unladen
30.85 LY laden
Price : 50,665,010 CR
Re-Buy: 2,533,251 CR @ 95% insurance

Yes I know there are some things in there I didn't need. I went out thinking, "This might not be a bad thing to have." like the SRV and that cargo space. I probably could have got way more jump distance if I had ditched those. I rarely do any driving on the planets I land on.And that Cargo space is utterly useless. I wanted the ability to boost while I'm in normal space as well. On my way out alone I got interdicted 7 times. But then once you're out of the Bubble it's clear sailing.

It's served me fairly well though. And once I scan a few systems out in the NGC7822 area I'm heading home. Cashing all that in and re-equipping for another trip out.

It's my first trip out, I think I can be allowed a few newb mistakes yeah? no excuses next time though. Not a one. I'll have learned from my mistakes this time around I hope.

I am happy to relate that during my trip I think I will have my name on atleast 3 systems. As first discoverer. If I can get back alive anyway. Here's hoping.

And yes a little Role play does help keeping from going Void Mad. I've actually taken to roleplaying the thoughts of the stars and planets I come across. That poor little rocky planet with the extensive ring system, what ever happened to his little buddy moon I wonder? Or that brown dwarf with the multitude of planets and moons circling. How proud must he feel?

I'm sadly away from my main rig right now. I left my ship parked on a icy rock about 30.01 light years out from NGC 7822. Otherwise I wouldn't have written this long response. I'd be deep deep in the middle of NGC 7822, dodging black holes and scanning T Tuari stars. What's keeping me was that amazing view of the nebula that I left on. A string of brillant blue-white stars. Like a strand of diamond across my entire view. The simple beauty of it is keeping my Elite: Dangerous addiction of it at bay until I can get back to it come the end of the week.

So while you're out there, pour a finger of Indi Bourbon into your Hutton Mug for me would you? And for all the other Mobius Explorers out there. Maybe one day we'll meet in the void and share stories.

Good luck SNIPE. Practice that throttle. And enjoy yourself out there. o7

SNIPE
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MARK SNIPE
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Got Bitten by the bug.

Postby SNIPE » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:00 am

agiftforclowns wrote:My load out?

[Asp Explorer]

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 5A Power Plant
TM: 5D Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 4A Power Distributor
SS: 5D Sensors
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6A Fuel Scoop
5: 4C Bi-Weave Shield Generator
3: 3A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
3: 1C Detailed Surface Scanner
2: 2G Planetary Vehicle Hangar
2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
---
Shield: 128.15 MJ
Power : 13.06 MW retracted (64%)
13.06 MW deployed (64%)
20.40 MW available
Cargo : 8 T
Fuel : 32 T
Mass : 359.3 T empty
399.3 T full
Range : 31.48 LY unladen
30.85 LY laden
Price : 50,665,010 CR
Re-Buy: 2,533,251 CR @ 95% insurance

Yes I know there are some things in there I didn't need. I went out thinking, "This might not be a bad thing to have." like the SRV and that cargo space. I probably could have got way more jump distance if I had ditched those. I rarely do any driving on the planets I land on.And that Cargo space is utterly useless. I wanted the ability to boost while I'm in normal space as well. On my way out alone I got interdicted 7 times. But then once you're out of the Bubble it's clear sailing.

It's served me fairly well though. And once I scan a few systems out in the NGC7822 area I'm heading home. Cashing all that in and re-equipping for another trip out.

It's my first trip out, I think I can be allowed a few newb mistakes yeah? no excuses next time though. Not a one. I'll have learned from my mistakes this time around I hope.

I am happy to relate that during my trip I think I will have my name on atleast 3 systems. As first discoverer. If I can get back alive anyway. Here's hoping.

And yes a little Role play does help keeping from going Void Mad. I've actually taken to roleplaying the thoughts of the stars and planets I come across. That poor little rocky planet with the extensive ring system, what ever happened to his little buddy moon I wonder? Or that brown dwarf with the multitude of planets and moons circling. How proud must he feel?

I'm sadly away from my main rig right now. I left my ship parked on a icy rock about 30.01 light years out from NGC 7822. Otherwise I wouldn't have written this long response. I'd be deep deep in the middle of NGC 7822, dodging black holes and scanning T Tuari stars. What's keeping me was that amazing view of the nebula that I left on. A string of brillant blue-white stars. Like a strand of diamond across my entire view. The simple beauty of it is keeping my Elite: Dangerous addiction of it at bay until I can get back to it come the end of the week.

So while you're out there, pour a finger of Indi Bourbon into your Hutton Mug for me would you? And for all the other Mobius Explorers out there. Maybe one day we'll meet in the void and share stories.

Good luck SNIPE. Practice that throttle. And enjoy yourself out there. o7

Nice, sounds like you are having a lot of fun.
Every once in a while I think I hear something or see something shoot pass my cockpit. I think I am going nuts. I could of sworn I had seen a black ripple warping the stars in one sector, but then blinked a few times and it went away. Another time I was parked up on a small rocky moon and I heard a buzz sound go from right to left from the back of my ship. Freaked me out. As I went to investigate, there was nothing. I think I better eaze off this lavian brandy.

I have considered keeping this trip short since it is my first, will check out a few large nebulae then head back. Then I will be prepared to do a longer trip next time.

So far I have learnt a few things being out here, which I have been lucky to learn the easy way. Just a word of caution when doing planet landings, if you already know then disregard. Always scan any planet you plan to land on to check its gravity. Anything going close to 1.50G to 3G, exercise throttle control. Anything higher than 3G I would probably recommend against landing unless you have class A thrusters. You may be able to land, but with out enough thrust, you may not be able to leave.
I noticed when landing on a planet, my throttle seemed overly responsive when going down. After landing a touch hard and dropping a shield ring, I popped open my system map and the gravity listed was 1.17G. All previous landings have been well under 1G.

Cheers, having a mug of brandy as a toast. Oh, and before I log off, I did run into a wreck floating in an undiscovered system. It appeared to be an explorer, found his/her data capsule floating nearby. I gave a moment of silence for the lost soul....

Good luck agiftforclowns. Stay safe. o7

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: agiftforclowns

Postby agiftforclowns » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:45 am

To more seasoned explorers, this post will be maybe abit of a lark.

But I have succeeded in something I never honestly expected to ever do.

I have scanned my first Black Hole.

On the edge of the NGC 7822 nebula, is a tiny little system. S171 33 by name.
Consisting of several T Tauri stars a class O, a class F, and a Class A.

And nestled within all of that. Was the thing that scared me the most.

Having watched several videos of pilots slamming into Neutron Stars and Black Holes and nearly fatally damaging their ships. I spent 20 minutes talking myself into making the .67LY jump from S171 34, just next door in the galactic sense.

I was worried I'd drop in and find myself sitting within 2Ls of a black hole, and over heating.

But success, I needn't have worried, it was a comfortable 1000+ Ls away from the main star. That Class O.

So here I fly, skirting around it. And in my mind, anthropomorphizing the Black Hole. And in my mind having the mental image of the Hole, it's arms crossed, looking over it's domain like the tough on the street. Owning all the space within .67 light years, assured of it's power.

I somehow feel accomplished. To come within 3Ls of one of the Beasts of the Universe. Seen the lensing of the galactic disk behind it. I feel, at this moment, like nothing could bring me down.

Still afraid mind you. But still amazingly euphoric.

Onwards we go. But I think...I'll avoid the rest of the black hole systems for now...one might be enough. I don't know if my nerves can take anymore.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 pm

agiftforclowns wrote:To more seasoned explorers, this post will be maybe abit of a lark.

Onwards we go. But I think...I'll avoid the rest of the black hole systems for now...one might be enough. I don't know if my nerves can take anymore.

Just bind a key for full stop and hit it the second you start jumping - you will exit the jump and just immediately stop infront of whatever it's in the next system. You literally have nothing to worry about.

If it's a neutron star or a black hole, after you scan it - just point your nose 90 degrees away from it and accelerate. I'm currently scanning my way to Elite with over 2200 neutron star scans in a row - and I didn't pancake into anything a single time :D
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Skipp wrote:Just bind a key for full stop and hit it the second you start jumping

Sadly I use a gaming controller to fly. As I wasn't able to correctly learn and control with a mouse and keyboard. I tried really I did. But I just didn't have the dexterity.

I know I can do that. And I have to remember to hit the deceleration button when I jump, but still I have this ugly vision of coming out of a jump, hitting the gravity well of the Hole and being pulled out and start baking in my ship.

Just this irrational fear I have I guess.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:18 am

agiftforclowns wrote:Sadly I use a gaming controller to fly. As I wasn't able to correctly learn and control with a mouse and keyboard. I tried really I did. But I just didn't have the dexterity.

I know I can do that. And I have to remember to hit the deceleration button when I jump, but still I have this ugly vision of coming out of a jump, hitting the gravity well of the Hole and being pulled out and start baking in my ship.

Just this irrational fear I have I guess.

If you are on PC with the controller, you can use voice attack and create a command that will safe jump you. The commands would be: Initiate Jump, pause 15 seconds for it to charge, pause 6 seconds to ensure you are in jump, press the zero throttle command. This is built into the HCS voice pack Voice Attack Profiles.

If your not on PC, then I have no idea. You would think that with the Voice capability built into the XBone that something like Voice Attack would exist.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:29 pm

agiftforclowns wrote:Sadly I use a gaming controller to fly. As I wasn't able to correctly learn and control with a mouse and keyboard. I tried really I did. But I just didn't have the dexterity.

So do I! But there are lots of keys you don't use while exploring. For example - no weapons. Bind a secondary shoot button to full stop for example.

I have the "Next system" bound to my spacebar so I can easily jump forward, and I have the "full stop" bound to X.
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 am

Hmmm you know what I hadn't even thought of rebinding the controller buttons.

Atleast for now anyway. I can always set it back to normal controls when I want to go back and continue my bounty hunting career right? Wouldn't be hard.

Thanks Skipp, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that at all.

Daedaelus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Daedaelus

Postby Daedaelus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:59 am

agiftforclowns wrote:Hmmm now I'm intrigued. Might get some first discoveries off this trip.

FWIW - Getting first discoveries is a lot easier if you avoid well traveled paths (nebulas, black holes -- esp. Sagittarius A *) that run along the galactic plane. Dropping above or below the plane by a few hundred light years often yields a much higher percentage of unclaimed/undiscovered stars/systems.

Of course, if you're out past the 5k ly range it's not so much of an issue. But food for thought on the return trip, perhaps? ;)

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Thu May 05, 2016 12:16 am

I'm coming home.

This is it. I scanned about 65% of the NGC 7822 Nebula, and got many of the black holes out there to boot. But while doing so. I suddenly felt really damned homesick.

Finished scanning a 3 black hole system, then turned my ship around, dropped about 200 light years below the galactic plane then set a rather meandering course home for G 122-60. Not sure when I'll be back, just making my lazy way home.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”