Explorer Exchange
Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Got Bitten by the bug.

Postby Nethaufer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Skipp wrote:Also - if you're in a neutron field - you'll be better off just jumping forward and scanning new stars instead of wasting 10min on scanning that gas giant worth a few thousand credits.

But yea - I usually scan everything within 800-900Ls if it's a gas giant, water world or earth-like. If it's not, i just ignore it. I used to scan everything - but after 4000 systems visited - i just keep moving forward

I usually scan everything if nothing has been claimed yet. I go by the motto, "Small things add up" when I explore.

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: agiftforclowns

Postby agiftforclowns » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Xebeth wrote:High, I go through lots of systems and only scan the star

Huh okay, thank you Xebeth.

Learn something new everyday.

EDIT

Actually thank you everybody. Didn't see Skipp, and Nethaufer post as well.

buksida
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Levenson

Postby buksida » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:04 am

I'll pretty much always scan the star since you drop out right in front of it anyway, then pull up the system map and look for interesting planets, if there are metallics, water, or gas giants nearby I'll scan them too and grab a shot, if not I jump on. Still haven't found an earth-like though!

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Question: I know being the first discoverer grants a bonus to exploration gains. How about being the first discoverer of a planet with life? Does that add anything? or is that just a novelty thing at this point?

Zieman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Zieman

Postby Zieman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:56 pm

agiftforclowns wrote:Question: I know being the first discoverer grants a bonus to exploration gains. How about being the first discoverer of a planet with life? Does that add anything? or is that just a novelty thing at this point?
Just a novelty, I think. At least the Gas Giants with life are not particularly valuable.
Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
My Elite: Dangerous videos , All you wanted to know about the game. And more.

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:30 am

Well then.

It was previous discovered, but just found my first ever Neutron Star. For something that had to be so massive, I sure had to get really close to scan it.

I feel slightly accomplished now.

Sadly I wasn't the first to discover it. Maybe someday I'll have my name as first discoverer. Just not today.

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:19 am

Okay. I'm intrigued. And would like to ask for some help from all the more experienced Explorers and anyone who might know something more about the void out there.

I have been seeing this little thing alot:

Which appears much more clear and bright in game, and this screen shot does it little justice.

It's bright white. And when I was looking at it in Debug mode today shortly before taking this shot, I noticed it has three maybe four distinct parts.

I'm heading out towards the Galactic Rim. Making my way towards one of the NGC Nebulas. I forget which one really. And this little thing has been getting brighter and more clear in the void as I go ever since I left the Cepheus Dark Zone nebula area. I believe I'm now 300 light years out from the Cepheus Dark Zone nebula.

I'm wondering, am I looking at a nebula that I can't find on the galaxy map? Or a galaxy outside our own? I've searched for a good 2 hours broken up in small little bouts in the galaxy map trying to find it.

There have been people down this way, as I'm still running into planets with CMDR names on them. And I'm wondering if any of our own have been out this way and have seen this same thing.

The funny thing is, as I'm travelling this little thing has been really close to the line of travel I've been on, and no amount of galaxy map searching can find it. I do know it's above the galactic plane.

I realize how little help the information I've put down here is. But I'm intrigued and becoming somewhat desperate to know what I'm looking at.

I may be going slightly void mad too. As I have begun thinking of it like a night light or a beacon for travel. Guiding my way into the Darkness. Funny that.

Hawkertech
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Hawkertech

Postby Hawkertech » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Is it this one your looking at? hard to make out the shape. If it is its the Andromeda Galay.
Zuni CQ-P c5-1886 (20160406-195058).jpg
Zuni CQ-P c5-1886 (20160406-195058).jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:40 pm

I totally forgot I had posted that.

I actually learned what it is just recently.

Been steadily making my way towards it. It's that NGC nebula. 7822 or something like that. I need to remember to take a cap of how it looks to me now. In comparison to how it looks there.

Like a string of brilliant pearls in the black void.

SNIPE
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MARK SNIPE

Postby SNIPE » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:34 am

agiftforclowns wrote:The Exploration Bug that is.

I've going out on my first real expedition. Didn't really plan on anything, just looked at the Galaxy map and decided to go the direction of Polaris. See what happens. Maybe follow the arm of the galaxy down then make a big loop back around, see what I can find.

I want to leave the Bubble for abit. I feel I've spent enough time there. Go out beyond and explore strange new territory. Well for me anyway.

I'll see you all later Mobius. Maybe in a few weeks or so I'll come back, and I'll have some stories to tell.

Whats your ship and loadout. I too have just only two days ago planned to go exploring for the first time and just yesterday I left on my journey and am currently over 500LY outside the bubble and have already bumped into 2 newly discovered systems. Also keeping a Captains Log (video recording) for authenticity, and some camera footage(screenshots). Also role playing a touch makes it more fun. My current loadout is a T6: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70W,mpU0W ... 27Q42jw2UI

I am enjoying it so far and the T6 is doing a fine job exploring, better than I expected.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”