Explorer Exchange
dapprman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DAPPRMAN
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

I'm Gonna Be (5000 light years)

Postby dapprman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:09 pm

I would fly 5000 light years and I would fly 5000 more ....
(ok I admit it, while I never liked the band, I saw The Proclaimers live just as they were hitting the big time while I worked behind the student bar at Wolverhampton Polytechnic (as was) - side note - they got in to a fight after with our Students Union president after the gig).

I'm thinking of doing the 5000 light year run shortly in my DBX (think with full tanks and present load out I can do just under 59 light years per jump) but was wondering if there is a suitable site/nebula around 5000/5100 light years from our start position (though the engineer quests for Prof Palin et al. show 0/5000 - does that mean it starts where I presently am?) which is worth the trek?

Any recommendations?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: I'm Gonna Be (5000 light years)

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 pm

I think that counter is from distance traveled since you last landed at a station.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:37 pm

I did this recently and Tor is probably right - the scales tipped after I was 5000Ly away from home - although it might be a straight-line distance. But at that range, you're 5000Ly away from most human habitation.
I came back and earned several million from exploration and left behind a number of first find/first mapped tags, the closest less than 1000Ly from my start.
Nebulae are interesting, but they are all well-mapped. The route you take will depend on how much of a hurry you're in.

dapprman
Harmless
Harmless

Postby dapprman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:05 pm

At present it's a 'get it out of the way while mining prices settle once more' - so I want to do it in one stretch or one each way. It will also give me an idea if exploring is going to work for me though I'll probably rush out then explore more heading back. One issue is the truly shit mapping system in the game though - making targeting a suitable destination a right PITA though I now have something set (assuming it's not lost on logging out) which is 135 jumps and ~7k.

dapprman
Harmless
Harmless

Postby dapprman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:44 pm

105 jumps down including 3 diversion for fuel scooping (landed on a planet to log), 33 to go (if I continue). I hit the 5k after ~90 jumps.

One thing, if I were to be the first to discover the planet how would I be able to confirm? I wasn't sure if I saw a message just as I jumped and EDSM has given me a discovery reward - only thing I can tell in that site is I put at least a dozen systems in to the database, but that does not mean I was the first to actually discover them (I suspect the planet was already discovered and I was just the first one to add it to EDSM).
(Got EDDiscovery running in the background - no clue how to sort an expedition on it though).

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 pm

When you supercruise into a system, open the System Map. This will tell you who, if anyone, has discovered/mapped all/some of the planets. If it was done some time ago, the first discoverer may not have revealed all the interesting planets and features.

You won't have confirmation of your own first finds until you sell your exploration data - a panel will open showing you any bonuses.

Don't rely on EDSM; not everyone reports their activities to out-of-game resources.

dapprman
Harmless
Harmless

Postby dapprman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 pm

An update. Turned out I had 32 to go, so must have done 106 jumps. Completed them and did a few more to try and get a decent view (which I failed, despite being in the nebula). Now 65 jumps on the way back and parked up for the night. Actually did manage to discover a couple of planets - jumped in to an area with 5 suns then noticed the report was 8 bodies. Found 2 planets not on the system map, went close and mapped. Both had rings, but alas no double/triple/hectuple mining spots to do a good news/bad news on (what with being about 5000 light years out :D

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby SockFiddler » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Make spansh your friend:

https://www.spansh.co.uk/plotter

and, to make friends with your clipboard again

https://github.com/CMDR-Kiel42/EDMC_SpanshRouter

A jumpconda with a reasonable range (70-ish ly) can easily get 330 with consistency using the highway. Of course, this is no use to you at all if you didn't fit an AFMU before you left, and you'll still have to scoop as normal.
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

Return to “Explorer Exchange”