Trader Talk
Lunaman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CMDR Lunaman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: General trading thoughts and tips

Postby Lunaman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Although there are NPCs trading at these places, there are no other commanders in the area (including in open play). And I've run dozens of trade tests, and it really feels like a shell game. I'd almost swear that they look at my cargo and then decide the prices. It goes something like this:

Cargo:

0% A = high price
0% B = high price

100% A = low price
0% B = high price

0% A = high price
100% B = low price

25% A = high price
75% B = low price

50/50 = both for average of high & low price.

and etc., over and over, back and forth, up and down ... <_<

I knew I wasn't crazy :P
I have noticed the same thing
I write down the price of something, go get some at a very good price, come back with full load, want to sell it and the price is dropped before i sell it. Traffic report stating only me passed through this system.

MarrV
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MarrV

Postby MarrV » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:44 pm

I thought traffic reports were commanders only or was that inaccurate?

anikaiful
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Mir Fnar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby anikaiful » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 pm

MarrV wrote:I thought traffic reports were commanders only or was that inaccurate?

Seems it counts NPCs too.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 am

I'm probably the only trader in the galaxy who hadn't spotted the small triangle in the upper right corner of the Commodities page. This lets you modify the data to show how items are traded with the local systems.

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:58 am

No, you're not. I use this a lot. But be cautioned... I had more as one moment where the list said a certain station imported a commodity, but when I delivered it, it was bought at a much lower price so it would become a major loss.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:15 am

I find it very useful the other way around, that is to find out where to buy stuff requested by a mission.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

madperk
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: madperk

Postby madperk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Great explanation of how to use the in game tools, mainly the galaxy map economy view, when finding trade routes. i will admit that i started with third party tools when the game came out but i found myself spending more time trying to find "just the right route" and was actually making less than what i could have by just figuring out how to use the tools frontier gave us.

I ended up with my own spread sheets and kept track of what i was hauling, from where and the destination. the one important factor, the most important imo, is how far from the system star your destination station is located. I found a great run that was only one jump carrying gold. in my type 6 i could pull in 180k. but since the destination station was so far out, and the return trip wasnt very profitable my runs were over 20 minutes round trip. all averaged out i was making about 7k per minute.

I then started looking at the starting system and found that i could make an inter-system haul that was 4ls away. i could make the run in just under 4 minutes for 68k. the return trip didnt pay much but it averaged out for a little over 80k in 8 minutes. i simply sat down and did the grind for a couple of hours and walla 1.2mil in two hours. 10k per minute times 120 minutes.

i came up with this rough formula for calculating the time it will take to make haul.

1 minute for each jump
1 minute for every 2000ls your base is away from the star. (this is an estimate based on less than 10k ls from star. the further you go the quicker you traverse space)

3 jumps with a base 400ls from the destination star will take you 4 minutes to make the base and 1 minute to dock. (assuming you have a fast fuel scoop)

1 jump with a base 10,000ls from destination star will take you 6 minutes to make the base and 1 minute to dock.

to date my best one way haul in my type-6 with 96 cargo slots is 22k per minute.

Starman Jones
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Starman Jones

Postby Starman Jones » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Wait 96 on a type 6? What did u have to upgrade? The most I can get is 76 cargo.
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:06 pm

You can even get more on a T6.

MarrV
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MarrV

Postby MarrV » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Was running 100t with type 6 shields & fuel scoop. The more you drop the more you can fit in. I was doing 18.69 LY fully laden and around 28.8ly empty

Return to “Trader Talk”