Trader Talk
Manny72
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ManSlove
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: General trading thoughts and tips

Postby Manny72 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:53 am

Very nice, will try this method when playing next, might recoup a bit faster after the hacker kill on me. I'm out in the boonies now, so don't need to travel far to try the method.
I always show my face... I'm old and I got over it. :D

CMDR Navin
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Kodiack

Postby CMDR Navin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:42 am

Yeah skimming over it looks like a bunch of great info, will have to read it more in depth when my brain not so tired and I can absorb it better LOL

Thanks

Boddicker
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Boddicker

Postby Boddicker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Excellent info Commie.

Had been running Gold/Silver/Pallad from Extraction to Wealthy Industrial so this takes me a nice step up in profits :)

Never did understand sharing trade routes.

Question - how long does a route take to recover?

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Postby Philip Coutts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm not sure but I have about 5 or 6 routes in one locality, all making decent money and I tend to rotate round them when the markets start to fall. I figure that's the easiest way to do it.

Commiekaze
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Commiekaze

Postby Commiekaze » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:26 am

Boddicker wrote:Excellent info Commie.

Had been running Gold/Silver/Pallad from Extraction to Wealthy Industrial so this takes me a nice step up in profits :)

Never did understand sharing trade routes.

Question - how long does a route take to recover?

I wrote this a while back and haven't actually played in about a month. I definitely dont know what the new economy looks like or how it works so sadly I cant help you there. At this point, there a definitely more qualified traders in the group that can help with this question.

mungler
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mungler

Postby mungler » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:34 pm

A great guide on starting with trading. I love the comment about manning up and dropping shields for more cargo. I have been doing the same trade run for weeks now and it is yet to dry up. My observations are as follows. Much as the guide says, I have found an in system route shipping marine equipment me way and tobacco the other way. It is not a 2200/t level trade but still brings in about a million an hour as the stations are only 600ls away from each other. The thing I have noticed is that these slightly lower level trades do not dry up in the same way the big ones do. I am in a type 7 at the moment so hauling a respectable amount each way. What I don't know if if there is some kind of threshold on the volatile trades, i.e under 1800/t and it will be stable over that and it dries up. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:37 pm

I think the lower ones do have a longer lifespan as they tend to not be the hot item and get bought in general. When I was trading in my T6 I had an excellent area that netted me around 1.2 mil per hour, which to some people is chip change, but it was commodities like Tabacco and a middle level tech or piece of equipment. So the supplies were usually really good on these and with a T6 I never dred it up, and the risk was lower as they were legal and lower cost if I had an accident (although in some station tobacco is illegal). Anyway it wasn't top dollar but it was fast money that lasted even after FD fixed the trading /commodities mechanic.
CMDR Emanon

CMDR_Takoda
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Takoda

Postby CMDR_Takoda » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:28 pm

To be honest, I use Thrudds as well and can find good routes pretty easily. (800-1400 per ton of trade cargo) I do keep a log, and sometimes get the scoop on an even better route, (1700+) but they are often few and resource dependant.

Two things I did find REALLY helped my bottom line were:
1) range, The fewer jumps between ports the better. It basically translates to less time in transit = more $ per hour
2) a good fuel scoop.... invest in one. I currently have a 3A which does 176/s. This means I can usually completely re-fuel after a 22 Ly jump while positioning my ship to point at my final port destination. (circling the sun) Little lost time, no fuel costs.

So in my trade equipped asp (112 T cargo space, with a bare bones shield and a 22 ly range) I can get around 268,800 cr in a round trip.
A->B, one jump, 1200 per ton * 112 tons space = 134400

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Another point in favor a good fuel scoop: the shorter the refueling, the less chances you have to be interdicted.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Curried-Cat
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Curried-Cat

Postby Curried-Cat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 pm

Nice guide.

I find CMDR's log a great tool. Easy way of keeping track of all the trading info you gather and vital for finding those hard to get resources.

Also it's all my own data which feels like more of an achievement rather than using the web based trading tools. Oh, and less likely that dozens of others will be flying the same route!

Return to “Trader Talk”