Trader Talk
jimboistic
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: jimboistic
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: General trading thoughts and tips

Postby jimboistic » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:14 am

Precisely what I would have written. I'm at the Type-6 phase and am doing giant full load Rare runs from one side of the map to the other; it's not the most efficient, I realize, but it's fun and my kind of trading! :)

A million invisible upvotes.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks for the tips. I tried them and they work. The best I was getting before was 1200cr/t for a 2-jump route.

My problem is that trading seems to be rigged. I had one trade, on-paper, that was going to be 2550cr/t, but when I showed up with cargo, I only got about 2070cr/t, and that only lasted a few trades before I had to move on. They'd only offer the higher price if I didn't have any in my cargo hold. And since then, my trades that should be 2000-2100cr/t, are only delivering 1700-1800cr/t.

But that's still a 50% improvement, so who's complaining? :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

MarrV
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MarrV

Postby MarrV » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Thanks for the tips. I tried them and they work. The best I was getting before was 1200cr/t for a 2-jump route.

My problem is that trading seems to be rigged. I had one trade, on-paper, that was going to be 2550cr/t, but when I showed up with cargo, I only got about 2070cr/t, and that only lasted a few trades before I had to move on. They'd only offer the higher price if I didn't have any in my cargo hold. And since then, my trades that should be 2000-2100cr/t, are only delivering 1700-1800cr/t.

But that's still a 50% improvement, so who's complaining? :roll:

If you see it is high so do others who are trading as well, therefore person number 1 gets the full price, demand falls as is it fulfilled and price drops. Economics suck

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:30 pm

The mechanics are fine but too sensitive. The prices should fall if the number of goods rise and the other way around and it currently works that way but the number of goods needed for a price change is to low. One Type 6 can change the price of a whole station. Imagine one ship of Star Trek would change the economy of DS9.....

Sparkone
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sparkone

Postby Sparkone » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:51 am

Just wanted to drop in here to say thanks for the heads up, using your method has helped me find my financial feet in Elite.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Although there are NPCs trading at these places, there are no other commanders in the area (including in open play). And I've run dozens of trade tests, and it really feels like a shell game. I'd almost swear that they look at my cargo and then decide the prices. It goes something like this:

Cargo:

0% A = high price
0% B = high price

100% A = low price
0% B = high price

0% A = high price
100% B = low price

25% A = high price
75% B = low price

50/50 = both for average of high & low price.

and etc., over and over, back and forth, up and down ... <_<
It's time to give this another go.

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Interesting find, this shouldn't be happening....

MarrV
Competent
Competent

Postby MarrV » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Although there are NPCs trading at these places, there are no other commanders in the area (including in open play). And I've run dozens of trade tests, and it really feels like a shell game. I'd almost swear that they look at my cargo and then decide the prices. It goes something like this:

Cargo:

0% A = high price
0% B = high price

100% A = low price
0% B = high price

0% A = high price
100% B = low price

25% A = high price
75% B = low price

50/50 = both for average of high & low price.

and etc., over and over, back and forth, up and down ... <_<

Make a full spreadsheet of it, buy price, sell price, hold amounts etc. It should not be doing that as your current hold amount should have no impact. I have done quite a bit of trading in my type 6 & never noticed it though.

WastedMerc
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WastedMerc

Postby WastedMerc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 am

I'm not having much luck finding a refinery and extraction systems to trade between, are there any other hints at good trade in other commodities...

I'm at a system where the system map says it imports Gallite so I go to the station and it actually supply it at HIGH
I go to the next station in the same system which also says imports Gallite, I can only buy it here too, ie export??

So the system map is not dynamic and is unreliable

Are the "trade routes" any indication of hint of a decent trade?

MarrV
Competent
Competent

Postby MarrV » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:56 pm

WastedMerc wrote:I'm not having much luck finding a refinery and extraction systems to trade between, are there any other hints at good trade in other commodities...

I'm at a system where the system map says it imports Gallite so I go to the station and it actually supply it at HIGH
I go to the next station in the same system which also says imports Gallite, I can only buy it here too, ie export??

So the system map is not dynamic and is unreliable

Are the "trade routes" any indication of hint of a decent trade?

Ah but you see you have fallen afoul of the import/export merchants.

A lot of places import goods just to export them again at a higher price, if your hunting the best prices you need to follow the chain back to the production system & buy from them, each station you visit closer to the source station the price should, if economic theory hold & they got their model right, decrease in price as your reducing the "middle-man" count by 1.

If your trying to sell Gallinte take it to a refinery system (unless my "cheat sheet" is out of date)

Return to “Trader Talk”