Trader Talk
Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Finally got my Python!

Postby Schmobius » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm usually aiming right between the planet and the station, and have enough time to level out to where I point right at the mail slot. I suppose you could say I've been following the middle of this guide all along, anyway.

I usually use a docking computer in my python just so I can chill out and stretch while landing, but I like to do it manually now and then just to remind myself that I can. Still, I'm not as smooth as Lion here.

If I'm smuggling, I'll get through the mail slot fast on my own power, but then engage the docking computer once I'm inside the station so it points me at the right pad. I actually have less trouble setting down manually than I have finding the pad, most of the time. :-)

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby charlie2alpha » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:58 am

I got my Python too and my first combat encounter was less than stellar, got away with 65% hull. Of course the ship is not set up for combat but for mining and I never tried combat with it before.

So, I got interdicted on my way to the station and decided to test it's defence abilities instead of running away. Big mistake, as I'm used to combat in a Vulture. In comparison the Python turns only little better than the Type 7 I sold to buy it.

I did some homework after my total defeat, found a thread in the official forums where people say with Python one needs to master flight with Flight Assist off and use reverse thrust when turning. And of course buy A rated thrusters at the earliest opportunity, something I can't do just yet. Seems like I'll have to turn tail run for the foreseeable future when I'm interdicted in this ship.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Telengo
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Telengo
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Telengo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Great video Lion, thanks for that.

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:15 am

charlie2alpha wrote:I got my Python too and my first combat encounter was less than stellar, got away with 65% hull. Of course the ship is not set up for combat but for mining and I never tried combat with it before.

So, I got interdicted on my way to the station and decided to test it's defence abilities instead of running away. Big mistake, as I'm used to combat in a Vulture. In comparison the Python turns only little better than the Type 7 I sold to buy it.

I did some homework after my total defeat, found a thread in the official forums where people say with Python one needs to master flight with Flight Assist off and use reverse thrust when turning. And of course buy A rated thrusters at the earliest opportunity, something I can't do just yet. Seems like I'll have to turn tail run for the foreseeable future when I'm interdicted in this ship.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I fly a Python, and pretty much anything under an Anaconda is space dust before there's even a dent in my shields.

I never use flight-assist-off. Ever. For any reason. In any ship. What I do though, is line up on pirates after submitting to interdiction, and then hit reverse-throttle to the blue range or more so we stay roughly the same distance, facing each other. I picked up this technique after A: seeing Imperial Clippers do it to me many times, and B: realizing I'm flying a space ship, not an atmospheric jet fighter. Letting loose 5 pulse and burst lasers has most ships dead in about 2 or 3 salvos.

I do use all my non-gun hardpoints for shield boosters, and I have a strong power plant and distributor. I think I have C6 thrusters, so I am pretty maneuverable, but won't be out-turning an eagle any time soon.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:10 am

I've hit the mailslot head-on only 2 or 3 times the entire time, and I know it is facing the planet it orbits. So I'm doing something wrong, maybe I'll some day get it. On the other hand, I'm not doing smuggling, partly because I can't line up the slot that well so I will most likely be scanned. I very often end up coming in somewhere between 60-90 degrees to the station when I try to line it up.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:I've hit the mailslot head-on only 2 or 3 times the entire time, and I know it is facing the planet it orbits. So I'm doing something wrong, maybe I'll some day get it. On the other hand, I'm not doing smuggling, partly because I can't line up the slot that well so I will most likely be scanned. I very often end up coming in somewhere between 60-90 degrees to the station when I try to line it up.

Even doing my best to aim from the planet, I am also 60-90 degrees off much of the time.

I'm using a HOTAS, which makes this very easy, but I think you could even do it on a controller: Running at full throttle, I will point the nose at the slot, and hold down on the downward thrust button, periodically pulling the stick down (pitch up) to even out the angle. The effect is that the ship is kind of rotating on its nose vertically. If I have 4 pips to engines, ain't no one in the 'verse who can scan me. :-) (I always fly flight-assist ON. If you can do FA-OFF, there may be an even better way.) You have to let off the downward thrust a little before you meet perfectly level with the slot, maybe two seconds, or you'll overshoot, costing time in re-adjusting your angle.

I usually only get scanned when I'm being lazy, in supercruise (interdicted and all), or LEAVING a station these days. The latter is easier to escape with 4 pips to engines, but it gets trickier when you are trying to jump somewhere behind a supercube, as patrols often circle around back there.

I hope you can apply some or all of that to start sneaking past the 5-0. Try it on some runs where you don't have anything illegal first.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. Probably with a cheaper ship first :)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Return to “Trader Talk”