CMDR Paddy van CH

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
Paddy van CH
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Paddy Van CH
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

CMDR Paddy van CH

Postby Paddy van CH » Sun May 15, 2016 5:22 am

Hello to all

CMDR Paddy van CH here. Name is Patrik, living in Switzerland.
Currently flying an Anaconda and trying to get up through the Emire and Federation ranks. Lets see how long my patients lasts for that….then it’s back to bounty hunting and trading.

Or may be exploring. Anybody ever done an exploration run to the pillars of creation and the horse head nebula?

My the force be with you……..sorry, wrong galaxy ;o)

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: CMDR Paddy van CH

Postby smartroad » Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 am

Greetings and welcome to Mobius, Commander Paddy Van CH

Please feel free to add your name to the In game friends list thread, and check out our TeamSpeak servers to easily chat with, and possibly wing up with other commanders.

Also, make sure to check the Policy page if you haven't already Image.

On top of all of that, we also have a Facebook group and Twitter feed.

There is a lot of great info on the message board, and we have compiled a long list of Tips and Tricks to help new players acclimatize to the game while having fun.

Finally, if you are interested in being involved, go here to see information about our player group faction, the Order of Mobius (based at Rafferty's Mobius station in the Azrael system). We have our own Discord (voice and text chat) servers for supporters of Mobius, as well as our own Order of Mobius Twitter feed.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Riboflavin
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Riboflavin

Postby Riboflavin » Sun May 15, 2016 10:14 am

Hello and welcome to this nice group, Commander Paddy van CH!
Good luck with your rang progression! Reached "Lord" a few days back but decided to start a new exploration trip. That's the fun of ED, so many things to do.
See you out there and fly save, Commander! o7

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Welcome to the group!

Personally.... I'll take help from the force, or anywhere that I can get it. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Paddy van CH
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Paddy van CH » Mon May 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Riboflavin wrote:Hello and welcome to this nice group, Commander Paddy van CH!
Good luck with your rang progression! Reached "Lord" a few days back but decided to start a new exploration trip. That's the fun of ED, so many things to do.

Same here now. About 40% through Lord and thought "sod it". Retrofitted my Anaconda as explorer an heading out to the Eagle Nebula. Let's see how accurate ED is. According to real-live physics, the pillars of creation should have disappeared. But then how well are these nebulas modeled anyhow.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Paddy van CH wrote:
Riboflavin wrote:Hello and welcome to this nice group, Commander Paddy van CH!

Same here now. About 40% through Lord and thought "sod it". Retrofitted my Anaconda as explorer an heading out to the Eagle Nebula. Let's see how accurate ED is. According to real-live physics, the pillars of creation should have disappeared. But then how well are these nebulas modeled anyhow.

Rather poorly I'm afraid.
Most nebulae are identical blobs tossed out, meant to be redesigned the some later date I assume.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon May 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Paddy van CH wrote:Retrofitted my Anaconda as explorer an heading out to the Eagle Nebula. Let's see how accurate ED is. According to real-live physics, the pillars of creation should have disappeared. But then how well are these nebulas modeled anyhow.

I never thought of that. With all this faster than light travel, jumping 65,000 LY away (Beagle Point) you should be seeing something that looks 65,000 years older, but everything always looks the same. Maybe 65,000 years just isn't that long in galactic time. ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
Paddy van CH wrote:Retrofitted my Anaconda as explorer an heading out to the Eagle Nebula. Let's see how accurate ED is. According to real-live physics, the pillars of creation should have disappeared. But then how well are these nebulas modeled anyhow.

I never thought of that. With all this faster than light travel, jumping 65,000 LY away (Beagle Point) you should be seeing something that looks 65,000 years older, but everything always looks the same. Maybe 65,000 years just isn't that long in galactic time. ;)

The Eagle Nebula we see today from earth is from 7000 years ago, I believe that current astronomical thinking states that 6000 years ago a supernova in the vicinity of the Eagle Nebula destroyed it. In ED we are 1300 years in the future, so in theory if you looked at the nebula from earth in ED the nebula would be gone, if you go there...
► Show Spoiler

You are right, 65,000 years is a blink in astronomical terms, so if you could see Beagle Point from earth in ED it probably wouldn't look much different.

And of course in general terms, the nebulae we see in Hubble images are mostly composite pictures made from lots of images from a variety of light frequencies that have been coloured and stitched together, if you could go there and look at them with naked eye they would probably look a lot different, and in most cases a lot less interesting than the pictures we get from Nasa.

(bonus fact, the images we see from Mars have the colours boosted in the red spectrum to make them fit our understanding of how it should look :geek: )
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Tue May 17, 2016 6:40 am

Ah, another Schweizer. Although I am just a Auslander im der Schweiz, Welcome.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Paddy van CH
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Paddy van CH » Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Xebeth wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:

The Eagle Nebula we see today from earth is from 7000 years ago, I believe that current astronomical thinking states that 6000 years ago a supernova in the vicinity of the Eagle Nebula destroyed it. In ED we are 1300 years in the future, so in theory if you looked at the nebula from earth in ED the nebula would be gone, if you go there...
► Show Spoiler

You are right, 65,000 years is a blink in astronomical terms, so if you could see Beagle Point from earth in ED it probably wouldn't look much different.

And of course in general terms, the nebulae we see in Hubble images are mostly composite pictures made from lots of images from a variety of light frequencies that have been coloured and stitched together, if you could go there and look at them with naked eye they would probably look a lot different, and in most cases a lot less interesting than the pictures we get from Nasa.

(bonus fact, the images we see from Mars have the colours boosted in the red spectrum to make them fit our understanding of how it should look :geek: )

Well, the theory of the super nova is speculation (the evidences for a nova are missing) but is a pretty good example that even in our puny milky way light takes some time to travel the distances. Another interesting one is that Betelgeuse, the biggest known star, is due to go nova any time. Some speculate that it has actually already happen. So, could someone please fly out there and double check if it is still there :shock:

Hubble pictures use something aptly named "the Hubble pallet". I.e. they use narrowband filters for Hydrogen alpha (green), Oxygen (blue) and Sulphur (red). Nonetheless, there are plenty of picture out there which cover the "normal" visual light spectrum for reference. Heres on I took last year:

I'd say, the bigger problems would be that these nebula are big. Very big. The pillars of creation are 4 ly high and they are only a very small portion of the Eagle Nebula. That's the distance between Sol and the next neighbor. So you need to be quite a distance away to appreciate their full glory. And at that distance your eyes wouldn't be sensitive enough to actually see something.

All in all I'm now asking myself, why the hell do I fly 7000 ly to look at something I can't actually see ans is in all likeliness no longer there.... :P

Return to “Introductions”