Hailing PvE

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
Brightside
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Brightside
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Hailing PvE

Postby Brightside » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:03 pm

[INCOMING TRANSMISSION]

Hi

I've recently purchased the Mercenary Edition of Elite: Dangerous and am rather impatiently waiting to get my hands on the game when it's released so am poking around to find out as much about the game as I can.

I was lurking on the frontier forums and found you guys and thought "That's a community I could join."
I don't go in much for PvP, I'm competitive but not such a fan of getting blown so didn't want to just join a group with a PvP focus. I also don't like the idea of being told how to play a game I want to explore so ut qusque sua fits me great.

With any luck I'll be able to secure the Commander's name Aves, Aves Roke, Roke, or AvesRoke and will update accordingly. In the mean time any advise or tips for beginners will be warmly received.

Regards,
Aves

[END TRANSMISSION]

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Hailing PvE

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Welome Commander. Good to have you onboard.

Best advice is to do what you're doing. :) Read the forums and watch yt.

See you soon.

Jockgit64
Master
Master
CMDR: Jockgit

Postby Jockgit64 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Hello and Welcome, the learning curve can be a bit steep, especially configuring your setup to feel "natural" and comfortable, took me a while at least.

The good news is that the "Tutorials" in the Game have improved and will help newcomers get to grips with the basics a lot quicker.

Have a look at the Hardware setups of other players to get ideas of what and how you want to play, there are plenty of people who prefer Keyboard and Mouse over Joystick and HOTAS, it's purely personal preference and choice, which is one of the things we all love about Elite, the freedom to choose.

Hope you have a safe and comfortable journey Commander, you didn't happen to bring some Beer along with you did you?? ;)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:58 am

Hi and welcome to the group and the forum, Commander Aves! :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Postby Philip Coutts » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:43 am

Welcome aboard commander, enjoy the forum and indeed the game when you start playing.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:11 am

BTW, I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but you don't have to wait for the release to play the game. You can pay a little extra to join the beta program (with some extra advantages), if you want. You can find more details in the newsletter.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Brightside
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Brightside

Postby Brightside » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 am

Cheers for the welcome all.

I found the Player's Guide last night with all the controls in it for Keyboard and Mouse and good lord there is a lot to remember. I'm going to have to re-map all the key's out of reach of my left hand to keys in reach of my left hand as well, and I want to set up hotkeys for helpful things like deactivating my heat intensive systems so I can smuggle goods into stations Isinona style! (VoiceAttack might help)

I'll also make sure I pick up some beer at some point, although it might not help me when I attempt FA Off piloting :D

Last thing I need it encouragement to splash out a further £15 for Beta 3 access, although seeing as the premier isn't until the 22nd I don't think I can wait that long.

By way of flying tips, I've seen a lot of videos of people failing at FA Off flight so I'm aware that it's very difficult. Would you guys advise learning to fly FA Off right from the start (in at the deep end) or just learning using it for Isinona style docking and prolonged boosting?

Jockgit64
Master
Master
CMDR: Jockgit

Postby Jockgit64 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:30 pm

I only use FA in combat and for running away :D, I think if i played with the deadzones in my Joystick it would be better but with my flying abilities I tend to keep it on the majority of the time.

It's certainly something you should try out, and if you can become profficient, then no doubt it will bear fruit in the game.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Aves Roke wrote:By way of flying tips, I've seen a lot of videos of people failing at FA Off flight so I'm aware that it's very difficult. Would you guys advise learning to fly FA Off right from the start (in at the deep end) or just learning using it for Isinona style docking and prolonged boosting?

The prolonged boosting trick has been 'fixed' now, so you get the speed bleed off in both FA On and FA Off modes. I believe that max boost is now affected by the number of pips to engines but I keep forgetting to test it.

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 am

Hello and welcome for real now, Commander Aves Roke!
I knew you wouldn't stay away for very much longer! ;)
Have lot's of fun with the game, in the group and on the forums!
Flay safe.

Return to “Introductions”