CMDR Turjan (remembering to sign in at last!)

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
Turjan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Turjan
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

CMDR Turjan (remembering to sign in at last!)

Postby Turjan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello Commanders all :)

I joined the group a while back, but forgot to register here. I plead age and insanity in my defence...wait, what's that you say? Everyone here is old and crazy anyway? Excellent, that works for me :D

Like so many, I played Elite in 1984 on a BBC-B - my cousin's actually. It wasn't until I got an Atari ST though that I really had a chance to get solidly into Elite and a little later, Frontier: Elite II. It was the exploration in Frontier that really had me hooked - which is why I've joined the First Great Expedition in Elite Dangerous.

But there's more to E-D than exploring, and the moment I saw Mobius had set up a dedicated PvE group, I signed up for it right away.
My reason?
Warcraft...

Back in my WoW days, a friend and I initially started playing the game on a PvP server. That didn't last long. There's something about openworld PvP that seems to bring out the worst in people. What should be a game, a bit of fun to lose yourself in after a stressful day, instead becomes a warground of ego-barging, selfishness and petty vendettas - a playground for childish sociopaths.

I vowed then that I'd never get involved with openworld PvP again.

Sure, I've played (and still do on occasion) Medal of Honor and Call of Duty multiplayer, but that's a different thing entirely. Battlefield games are just that : battlefields, and that's all they are. You join in specifically to joust with other players. But for me, PvP and sandbox games simply do not mix. To extend that metaphor, I certainly don't want to spoil someone's fun by kicking over their sandcastle, and I'd be pretty peeved if someone kicked over mine!

When it comes to Elite, the idea of PvE makes inherently more sense anyway - everyone is supposed to be a member of the Elite Federation of Pilots, a sort of Gentleman's Club in space. And it would be rude indeed to shoot your fellow club members! I think it actually adds to the game that I could be in a warzone, see a player fighting for the opposing faction, and NOT shoot at him, nor he at me. It's a respect thing, because while at that moment we're wearing different colours on the outside, inside we're always on the same team - that of the Elite Federation of Pilots! 8-)

RogueZephyr
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ValTomiana

Re: CMDR Turjan (remembering to sign in at last!)

Postby RogueZephyr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Turjan wrote:Hello Commanders all :)

I joined the group a while back, but forgot to register here. I plead age and insanity in my defence...wait, what's that you say? Everyone here is old and crazy anyway? Excellent, that works for me :D

Like so many, I played Elite in 1984 on a BBC-B - my cousin's actually. It wasn't until I got an Atari ST though that I really had a chance to get solidly into Elite and a little later, Frontier: Elite II. It was the exploration in Frontier that really had me hooked - which is why I've joined the First Great Expedition in Elite Dangerous.

But there's more to E-D than exploring, and the moment I saw Mobius had set up a dedicated PvE group, I signed up for it right away.
My reason?
Warcraft...

Back in my WoW days, a friend and I initially started playing the game on a PvP server. That didn't last long. There's something about openworld PvP that seems to bring out the worst in people. What should be a game, a bit of fun to lose yourself in after a stressful day, instead becomes a warground of ego-barging, selfishness and petty vendettas - a playground for childish sociopaths.

Sure, I've played (and still do on occasion) Medal of Honor and Call of Duty multiplayer, but that's a different thing entirely. Battlefield games are just that : battlefields, and that's all they are. You join in specifically to joust with other players. But for me, PvP and sandbox games simply do not mix. To extend that metaphor, I certainly don't want to spoil someone's fun by kicking over their sandcastle, and I'd be pretty peeved if someone kicked over mine!

When it comes to Elite, the idea of PvE makes inherently more sense anyway - everyone is supposed to be a member of the Elite Federation of Pilots, a sort of Gentleman's Club in space. And it would be rude indeed to shoot your fellow club members! I think it actually adds to the game that I could be in a warzone, see a player fighting for the opposing faction, and NOT shoot at him, nor he at me. It's a respect thing, because while at that moment we're wearing different colours on the outside, inside we're always on the same team - that of the Elite Federation of Pilots! 8-)

Welcome Turjan. I had a similar experience to you on EVE so I know exactly where you are coming from. And only two more days till we can do some exploration :D
-I fly the ocean black, and my little ship goes warp 10-
-Theres nothing that we lack (unless theres something we've forgotten)-

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Turjan wrote:Hello Commanders all :)

I joined the group a while back, but forgot to register here. I plead age and insanity in my defence...wait, what's that you say? Everyone here is old and crazy anyway? Excellent, that works for me :D........

Welcome aboard Commander, and about time too. Excellent post. :)

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Hello Commander Turjan and welcome to the forum.
Good to have you on board!
I never played any open world PvP games because what you experienced was all I somehow expected of them and that never drew me. Just reading about them made me say: Not for me.

Now with Elite: Dangerous and especially with this PvE group finally there is an open world sandbox multiplayer coop something.... where was I? ;) And I am very happy about it!

Just your last sentence is not quite what we agreed on in the group (see here): In battlezones opposing faction means just that.
That is at least the current consense. This forum is the right place to discuss things like that. Feel free to make suggestions if you have ideas to improve the experienc for all.

Again welcome! Have fun and fly safe!

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Welcome, Turjan! I share your feelings about open world PvP and I like your respect for sandcastles. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Nemetos
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Nemetos

Postby Nemetos » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Turjan wrote:Hello Commanders all :) ....
... There's something about openworld PvP that seems to bring out the worst in people. What should be a game, a bit of fun to lose yourself in after a stressful day, instead becomes a warground of ego-barging, selfishness and petty vendettas - a playground for childish sociopaths.

Absolutely sir ... Abso-flippin-lutely

Same here ... different game, but ... same old scenario . If it aint in game, its forum flame wars.

In the words of Danny Glover ...

http://youtube.com/v/oHhgllqSKro

And by the way ... welcome onboard !! :P

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf

Postby Silverwolf » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Welcome aboard and enjoy the sand castles minus the sandcastle vandalism :)

Turjan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Turjan

Postby Turjan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :)

Wolf wrote:Just your last sentence is not quite what we agreed on in the group (see here): In battlezones opposing faction means just that.

Indeed, I don't see any reason why consensual PvP shouldn't be allowed, and the whole point of E-D's warzones is to provide a mini-battleground instance where players can indeed shoot at each other.

But...
Having said that, I'll also add that I personally have chosen to never shoot at another player, regardless of the situation. That's my choice :)

Doesn't stop someone else from having a pop at me in a warzone of course (that would be their choice in a legit battlefield, and that's fine!) but do remember that anyone shooting at me will essentially be shooting at an unarmed, defenceless opponent because I won't be shooting back... ;)

Return to “Introductions”