CMDR DAPPRMAN

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
dapprman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DAPPRMAN
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

CMDR DAPPRMAN

Postby dapprman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:09 am

Hi all and thank you for letting me in.

New player (a few weeks now) who was directed here (and Facebook) by an existing member who I was at university with many many moons ago (and still keep in very vague touch with on FB). Have already proven I'm no combat jock, can't even complete the basic combat training .... TBH I see exploration as my probable end goal anyhow. Did play Eve off and on for many years, and avoided PVP over there, if I'm going to fight other players then it's just in WoWS and WoWP (both Euro servers).

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Re: CMDR DAPPRMAN

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am

Greetings and welcome to Mobius, Commander Dapprman. Not everyone is a combat jock. Exploration is an amazing 'career' in E-D, for sure!

The learning curve in E-D is pretty darn steep, so be sure to ask a lot of questions. We're here to help! :)

Feel free to add your name to our 'In game friends lists'

In game friends list for PC

If you haven't requested to join yet then please see the instructions on our join page.

Check out our Team Speak and Discord servers, which are great ways to chat, meet, and organize with other players.

Also, make sure to check the Policy page if you haven't already.

On top of all of that, we also have a Facebook group and Twitter feed.

There is a lot of great info on the message board, and we have compiled a long list of Tips and Tricks to help new players acclimatize to the game while having fun.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper

Postby GreenViper » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Welcome CMDR Dapprman
Hope to meet you in the Black one day!
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby SockFiddler » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:27 am

dapprman wrote:Hi all and thank you for letting me in.

New player (a few weeks now) who was directed here (and Facebook) by an existing member who I was at university with many many moons ago (and still keep in very vague touch with on FB). Have already proven I'm no combat jock, can't even complete the basic combat training .... TBH I see exploration as my probable end goal anyhow. Did play Eve off and on for many years, and avoided PVP over there, if I'm going to fight other players then it's just in WoWS and WoWP (both Euro servers).

A big part of combat flying is learning to die.

Sounds grim, eh?

In fact, if you lose your fear of dying, you relax more when you engage and lose that worry in the back of your mind. And, when you do get torn to shreds, it's much easier to shrug it off, rebuy your crap and get back into it without fussing over what you might have done better.

Elite has a steep learning curve and there are lots of "<whatever goal> quick!" schemes around. But the bottom line is, if you wanna get good at something - flying, fighting, whatever - you just gotta keep doing it. And with combat, that process includes learning how to die.

The training tutorials are (in my humble opinion) really not worth the time. They'll teach you to fly like an NPC in a generic ship. As you move through the game, you'll learn your own tricks and preferences when it comes to how and what you prefer to fly. And that'll change over time, too.

Play how you want, honestly, but my advice would be to take your time, ask lots of questions, find some good folks to wing up with (it's far more fun with a gang of like-minded people) and let the game take you where it wants. Exploration is one kind of end-game, just as PvP is. The chances are, as time goes on, you'll end up with a mixture of stuff you like doing depending on your mood.

Anyway. Welcome to the boards. Don't expect to get good at this overnight: Elite is a demanding mistress, but one worth getting to know over time.

Safe flying o7
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Ah yes, I remember when I first jumped in to the cockpit of a flying thing..surprisingly it flew.. but don't let that fool you.
Beware of A-Team members bearing gifts or gifting bears or offering to help you with your flight suit and then finding, when you finally have the legs in the right holes, some bright spark has cut the crotch out of them and your junk is all hanging out.. particularly worrying if you have a scrotum the length of a football field..!!
Just saying, that's all..
Anyhoo.. have extreme fun and I believe the first round is on you.. (hic)

o7 Dawg
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler

Postby SockFiddler » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 am

... we made that hole because you said the seam was, how did you put it, "threatening to remove the only parts of my scrotum that have any sensation left at all these days". You also said "So this is what a glory hole is" and "At least I can save 15 minutes each time I need to pee now".

On second thoughs, Dapprman, maybe my advice should have been "Choose your wingmates carefully: and check their scrotums first".
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm

I'll have you know, I still wear that flight suit.. :D Plenty more light years left in it yet.. ;)

o7 Dawg
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

dapprman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DAPPRMAN

Postby dapprman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm actually tempted (based on a YourTube vid I watched and possibly just before I joined Mobius) to fly back to Ngalinn once I've fiinished unlocking the Fed ships (just 1 rank to go) and get a Viper 3 or Cobra 3 (or use my Imperial Eagle there) to try hte basic combat missions they have listed.

Return to “Introductions”