ENDED - THE GRAND SIRIUS INTERSTELLAR EXPEDITION

Talk about community goals and organise co-op play for them.
Saberius
Admin
Admin
CMDR: SABERIUS
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

ENDED - THE GRAND SIRIUS INTERSTELLAR EXPEDITION

Postby Saberius » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:49 am

THE GRAND SIRIUS INTERSTELLAR EXPEDITION

Description:
Ever since mankind's first tentative steps to the stars, the Sirius Corporation has prided itself on standing shoulder to shoulder with those men and woman whose bravery and sacrifice led humanity safely through the unknowns depths of space.

In the last thousand years, a multitude of human civilizations have spread themselves across our galaxy, and yet.... there is still so much more for us to explore. Countless pristine worlds and countless more fixer-uppers, just waiting to be discovered by those brave enough to take that step into the unknown.

To help inspire a new generation of galactic explorers, the Sirius Corporation is pleased to announce the Grand Sirius Interstellar Expedition. This is a month-long initiative to survey the uncharted depths of the galaxy to find new habitable systems in which humanity can flourish and grow.

System: Lembava
Station: Goldstein Port
Objective: Sell Exploration Data to Goldstein Port
How: Scan systems (surface scan optional)
Ends: 2 July 3301 17:00
Last edited by Saberius on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: THE GRAND SIRIUS INTERSTELLAR EXPEDITION

Postby clivewil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:42 am

quickly nipped down to Lembava last night to sign up for this one - i did 128 reports which got me into the top 40% - if nothing else comes up i'll go back and do a few more

the Diamondback Explorer did really well on the job, and has surpassed my Asp in this role. the DB-Ex's heat management is excellent, the best of any ship i've flown so far (i accidentally hit hyperjump while still fuel-scooping, but let it go to see what it would do - the heat topped out at 80%)
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

zanderwild
Novice
Novice
CMDR: zanderwild

Postby zanderwild » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:46 am

I put in 33 reports, top 70% so far. Sold my scanner after getting bored. Might buy a new one and get a few more closer to the end.

Senex VII
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Senex VII

Postby Senex VII » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:14 am

zanderwild wrote:I put in 33 reports, top 70% so far. Sold my scanner after getting bored. Might buy a new one and get a few more closer to the end.

Sadly this community exploration goal, like previous such goals, is not really exploration. Or at the very least it encourages bad exploration habits. That is true of any exploration goal that rewards on the number of reports logged rather than exploration profit collected.

With these goals, all you have to do is turn up at a star, fire off the discovery scanner (colloquially known as "honking", and you can even do that while your slowing down from hyperspace and starting to fuel scoop), cool down a little, charge the FSD, and you're away to the next star. You don't even need a detailed surface scanner on board. Takes 50-55 seconds a system, which equates to around 65-70 reports an hour!

Don't get me wrong: if you get in the top reward percentages, it will be very profitable - far more profitable than the value of the crude reports you'll be generating. But you'll be forgiven for being bored. Exploration should be a joy, an end in itself, rather than just a means to an end of more credits.

zanderwild
Novice
Novice
CMDR: zanderwild

Postby zanderwild » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Senex VII wrote:
zanderwild wrote:I put in 33 reports, top 70% so far. Sold my scanner after getting bored. Might buy a new one and get a few more closer to the end.

Sadly this community exploration goal, like previous such goals, is not really exploration. Or at the very least it encourages bad exploration habits. That is true of any exploration goal that rewards on the number of reports logged rather than exploration profit collected.

With these goals, all you have to do is turn up at a star, fire off the discovery scanner (colloquially known as "honking", and you can even do that while your slowing down from hyperspace and starting to fuel scoop), cool down a little, charge the FSD, and you're away to the next star. You don't even need a detailed surface scanner on board. Takes 50-55 seconds a system, which equates to around 65-70 reports an hour!

Don't get me wrong: if you get in the top reward percentages, it will be very profitable - far more profitable than the value of the crude reports you'll be generating. But you'll be forgiven for being bored. Exploration should be a joy, an end in itself, rather than just a means to an end of more credits.

Yeah I will admit, I only joined this CG for the cash. I bought a scanner, flew to Lembava and got a few scans on the way, then got a few more on a multihop trade run. Returned to Lembava, sold the last scans getting to 33, and sold my scanner. I started out scanning everything in the systems, but after I found one that had 80 scan targets pop up I stopped that.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:00 pm

I've signed on, now out scanning all systems. However I am doing it "properly" in as much as I am detail scanning all the planets and moons in the systems I find. I enjoy the solitude of it and after a few weeks of doing it it is nice to be back in the main systems again for a while :)

Spreadsheet is all fired up so I can record what I have been doing :D
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:21 am

smartroad wrote:I've signed on, now out scanning all systems. However I am doing it "properly" in as much as I am detail scanning all the planets and moons in the systems I find. I enjoy the solitude of it and after a few weeks of doing it it is nice to be back in the main systems again for a while :)

Spreadsheet is all fired up so I can record what I have been doing :D

Yeah, that's the approach I've been taking. I'll enjoy the extra cash from the CG, but I'm not going to do half-arsed exploration just to move up in the CG ranking. It's nice to go back out later and see a bunch of systems with your name attached. :D
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Senex VII
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Senex VII

Postby Senex VII » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:21 am

Currently:
  • reward tier 5 (of 10, non-linear)
  • 840,271 reports
  • 4,066 contributors
  • top 5% reward is 7,500,000 cr.
Final goal appears to be 4,000,000 reports.
Expiry if 4,000,000 not reached is still over 2 weeks away.

Havochron
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Havochron

Postby Havochron » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Seriously disappointed in this event, the scoring procedure is bullcrap. The whole point of the exploration is to find habitable systems for human expansion and yet they take any old scans wow guys just wow. I found 50 TFC's and was hoping that in the future after this event that they would actually be terraformed. This event feels super hollow now, i wish that players could build stations and start terraforming operations ourselves.. Oh well all in good time i guess. Good luck everyone with the pointless scans ;)

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:29 am

Havochron wrote:Seriously disappointed in this event, the scoring procedure is bullcrap. The whole point of the exploration is to find habitable systems for human expansion and yet they take any old scans wow guys just wow. I found 50 TFC's and was hoping that in the future after this event that they would actually be terraformed. This event feels super hollow now, i wish that players could build stations and start terraforming operations ourselves.. Oh well all in good time i guess. Good luck everyone with the pointless scans ;)

They do take any scans, but I don't think they are pointless. You'll accumulate more return from virgin systems so travelling further out will bring greater reward.

Return to “Community Goals”