ENDED - The Hunt for Halsey (short duration exploration)

Talk about community goals and organise co-op play for them.
clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: ENDED - The Hunt for Halsey (short duration exploration)

Postby clivewil » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:08 am

we might be referring to different goals (i'm basing this assumption purely on the date of your post)

this thread was made up last week, but i noticed there's now another goal on GalNet - 'the hunt for Halsey continues' - continues being the key word.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Senex VII
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Senex VII

Postby Senex VII » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:26 am

Here's a tip. I worked this out from observing my own progress during several goals and also recording how friends were doing. It seems to work for any type of community goal: combat, trade or exploration. And even though it's an approximate rule of thumb, I still find it useful.

At any time after a community goal has got really established (preferably a few days in), take the current group achievement (reports, tonnes, bounties etc.) and divide by the current number of contributors. That gives the average current contribution per pilot, and let's call that "A".

Then look at your personal contribution - let's call it "P" - and divide P by A to get the P/A ratio of your current personal contribution to the group average.

If the P/A ratio is more than 2.5, I've found you have a good chance of maintaining a top 15% position - and therefore 2.5 is usually my personal target.

Yes it varies from goal to goal, and this particular one barely had time to get started so it had not settled down and the method isn't as useful, but let's use it as an example nonetheless as the figures are in the opening post.
A = 194,324/1,978 = 98.2
To achieve P/A > 2.5, you'd need at least 98.2 x 2.5 = 246 reports.

You can get a feel for other positions too. For example you may find that a P/A ratio of 2.0 will secure you top 40% without having to worry about slipping down. I also find top 5% is unrealistic for me, giving my personal time commitments, but top 15% is usually doable - hence the heuristic and my P/A target of 2.5.

I've now put a version of this post in Internal Tips and Tricks here:
http://www.elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2297
Last edited by Senex VII on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:33 am

Senex, how would you feel about your post being moved to the Internal Tips and Tricks subforum? And if that's OK with you, what title would you give it?
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Senex VII
Novice
Novice

Postby Senex VII » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Very flattering of you to suggest it, and most courteous of you to ask. :)

How about this? Keep this post here and I'll write a separate one for the Tips and Tricks forum (probably this weekend) with more and better examples taken from past goals, and answers to a few questions. When that's done, I'll add a link to that thread in the above post.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Sounds perfect. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Ghaleon
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ghaleon

Postby Ghaleon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:38 pm

I only just got around to turning this one in, and it seems the powerplay update broke it. I should've been in just the top 100%, but just got the top 5% reward. 3 million credits was worth the trip back here to get the reward!

A friend of mine had a similar occurrence, and got the Top 5% on a different Community Goal. He snuck away with 20 million credits, despite being in Top 40% or lower, since he put off playing 'til after the update, apparently.

Senex VII
Novice
Novice

Postby Senex VII » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:10 pm

I've now put a version of the above post on the P/A ratio in Internal Tips and Tricks here:
http://www.elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2297

Return to “Community Goals”