Request: Discord Tips & Tricks

Looking for other players in game? Want to tell us where you are in game? Meet here! Ad-hoc wings.
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Request: Discord Tips & Tricks

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:33 pm

This seems like the appropriate place to post this, as I think most people interested in Discord probably want it for in-game comms, although I still prefer voice comms just because it's easier. Anyway, ...

When I joined the Distant Worlds Expedition on the main forums, they requested everybody set up a Skype account and join a particular channel. That was it. No information about whether you should use your forum name, your commander name or whether CMDR should be included, some other nick, or even your real name. As I recall, Skype wanted your real name to register, but I suppose you could have used a false identity. It took ages to figure out a way to register with a real name, but have your commander name appear in the chat (it was easy, just hard to find). I’m still not sure if people could see my real name or not. I do know that I saw what appeared to be a lot of real names in the chat. It was a pleasure to delete Skype after the expedition was over.

Now I’ve learned that Mobius has a Discord server, channel, group – whatever, I’m not sure. There’s an invite, but no guidance on how to set up an account. It sure would be nice to get some tips and tricks on how to set up and manage a Discord account, as there is not very much useful on the Discord site. When I joined TS I had a lot of similar questions, w/o any answers, and just set up a generic name that I could possibly use for other games/channels/whatever, and then never used it.

Discord sounds like it may be the bee’s knees when it comes to chat/voice apps. But I don’t imagine it’s just for gamers. Wouldn’t you also want to use this with family and real life friends? I’m sure I wouldn’t want to be identified to family by some gamer nick, and for online privacy reasons, I don’t want most gamer acquaintances to know my real name. And then there is the issue of having different forum names and in-game names, possibly for several different forums and games. I have no clue how to manage all that, or whether Mobius even has a preferred way to identify yourself (policy).

Can you even use Discord to call/chat with another member w/o being on the same server, or does everyone need to be on the same server first? Or is it a different channel, or in the same group, and etc?

If you want to maintain online privacy, is it best to set up multiple accounts? Can you even do that? Maybe one account using your real name, and another using a username? And then maybe use your first name as a nick for your family and friends, and various forum names, in-game names, or other nicks as your nickname for various other servers? Does the Mobius server allow nicknames?

I did see that Discord now supports server nicknames, and that you can keep your username private, unless you accept friends (let’s say gamer acquaintances rather than real life friends). So if I had a username of MrHappyPants (what I used when I joined Discord), I could have a Mobius server nickname of RogerWilcoJr or Junior or Roger or whatever? And nobody on the Mobius server would know that I was MrHappyPants unless I allowed it or accepted them as friends? And then if I joined a different game server, I could use a different nickname (if allowed). And if I used my real name as my username, the only way to keep it private would be block it and all friend requests?

Confused yet? I know that I am.

I just checked again and don’t see any naming conventions, either for usernames or nicknames, on the Discord site. I mean, do they need to be run together, like RogerWilcoJr, or can they be separated, like Roger Wilco Jr? How hard is it to make crap like this clear ahead of time? And I’ve seen them use the words server, channel, and group, but I can’t really tell what they are. I’m willing to spend a hour writing this post, but I’m not willing to spend hours upon hours trying to find this stuff online, and even less willing to experiment.

So again, any tips & tricks on how to actually use this program effectively would be greatly appreciated, and I’m sure by a lot more people than just me.

Thanks. :)
It's time to give this another go.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Request: Discord Tips & Tricks

Postby Schmobius » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Discord just needs an email address, password, and username to sign up. On the Mobius discord, you are allowed to change your nickname displayed there at will. It will show your "real" username if someone tries to "mention" you in their window before hitting send, or if they direct-message you, and maybe in your profile if they right-click on you.

If you're worried about having public and private names displayed in different servers, I'd use your "fake" name as your user name, and you should (as long as it isn't restricted on the server) be able to use the /nick command to set your real name there.

Right now, I think voice can only happen on voice channels in servers, but if they haven't already, they will be soon allowing a direct voice chat between users.

Discord isn't really meant to be like skype for video-conferencing with your parents, it's more like IRC with (good) voice capabilities meant to compete with TeamSpeak for in-game comms. It can of course just be used for socializing on voice too.

I don't think it's possible to have two different login IDs active at once on the same device, but I've never tried very hard. I'm sure you can keep logging out and logging in with another one though.

Does that answer everything, or did I miss something?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks, Schmobius. :)

Brilliant tip about using a nick for your real name. :D
That really make me feel more comfortable about setting up an account.

This app seems to be a lot easier to set up and use compared to Skype. I'll check it out soonTM.
Maybe I can set up a server for family & friends (instead of Skype and Fakebook).
It's time to give this another go.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:10 pm

No problem. Let me know if if you have any questions, and I'll try to answer them.

Return to “Meeting Point”