Bounty hunter wants to learn trading

Looking for other players in game? Want to tell us where you are in game? Meet here! Ad-hoc wings.
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Bounty hunter wants to learn trading

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

BrocMcGregor wrote:Also, don't go no shields. At least if you're like me. Earlier today, I swear someone greased my landing pad. I couldn't get my cobra to "stick" if my life depended on it for a while. So I finally just planted her, HARD. Another instance - NPC flying a T-9, full thrusters through the mail-slot. I was glad I had the cobra's shields so I could bounce of the walls to get around that beastie :D

yup... that was me with the can of grease! :twisted: Sorry Broc. :roll:

I agree.... I STRONGLY prefer to have shield on my trade python. For trade info I use thrudds, but their "find a trade" section isn't always the best from what I've found. Maybe I'm doing wrong, who knows. To find "A-B-back to A" routes, I use INARA a lot. On your 'market' screen, it shows up on the bottom right corner. The profit data isn't always accurate though, so I plug the station info into Thrudds (which IMO seems to be updated more frequently) to verify that the profit potential is there.

I successfully traded in a Cobra before I got a T-6, T-7, and now the Python. You can make money in any of them. Obviously the more cargo you can move, the more $$ you can make. The cobra was fun though, because I could move some cargo and still go to NAV or RES and kill bad guys. :twisted: My Python is not fully combat ready, so it runs cargo with some STRONG defensive capabilities. I have a DB Scout for pew pew sessions. Keep that in mind as you buy a T-6 or T-7. They don't do much other than haul goods.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Blooper01
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Angelitsa Frell
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Blooper01 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:55 pm

I suggested the no shields to give him max cargo space, if you want a little safety then use shields by all means. I also suggested for him to get a T6 because it is a large ship that can still land pretty much at everywhere station, unlike T7 and larger. Of course cost is the biggest aspect ;) I ran the Gliese 868 route myself till it got low on profit, must be recovered now.

Lumpus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lumpus

Postby Lumpus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 pm

I got the t6 and went no shields but I swear if I even knick the pad I get the hull integrity call and end up paying a few hundred credits for repairs every once in a while

She is still almost stock and I'm not able to fill it completely yet but I'm working towards it with a slave route I found on thrudds.

I play in OP every time I get on and noticed a lot more interdictions now that im running a cargo rig.

As far as the Rares I didn't exactly understand the point about having less cargo to lose if interdicted or where the rares are located
I think I need another week or two of runs before I can upgrade my ship and haul full loads, maybe then I will be looking to get into something else like Rares or cimmunity goals which I currently know nothing about

Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Xerxryn

Postby Xerxryn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Personally I don't like using any aids to trading any more, at first it's ok help to get to grips with trading. But now I just stick to looking at the system economies. I like High tech systems near to extraction systems and industrial also. Rare trading is interesting and a T6 is good for that also but the king is the Asp for rares. Also look at the item information it tell you where they are usually traded to which help to get an idea.

There are plenty of rare items around the old worlds. You need to be 170ly from the source to get max profit. There are plenty of articles around on the web and on Youtube. Watch out though, some rare are illegal in some systems.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Blooper01 wrote:I suggested the no shields to give him max cargo space, if you want a little safety then use shields by all means.

I should have said that I prefer to have shields, but I can also appreciate the additional profit of carrying more cargo. I like the safety net. Others like to take a bit more risk.

I agree that a T-6 is great, and can land at outposts. Unlike a T-7. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Lumpus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lumpus

Postby Lumpus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 pm

just had my first interdiction while carrying a full load
on my return leg from orang and i didn't even get a chance to try to avoid it.
i dropped out of fsd almost instantly and it's a human player!
lol my nerves went through the roof
i shifted to full engine power and started evasive
dude was all over me trying to scan every time he got directly behind me
fsd cooldown took foreverrrrr haha
finally ready and i go to jump, ship scan as i enter fsd
I MADE IT
lol

that was fun :P

Geebs
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: 2nds2impact

Postby Geebs » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:58 pm

I was going to buy my first Anaconda last night but saw the link to EDDB and bought a T9. I went without shields but went A class with Power, Distributor (I like to hammer the boost button when running away :D ), and FSD so I have 508 cargo spaces. I ran the Gliese route and began well with it except... I forgot to change the end landing pad filter to LARGE in EDDB and ended up at a system with a terminal only and ran out of fuel. I was interdicted twice and limped to another system with 14% hull remaining. I was carrying Imperial Slaves and was slapped with a 2.8 million fine when I landed. Learn from my mistakes.
Still, lots of fun.

(Thank you for the links! :mrgreen: )

Cairnburn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Cairnburn

Postby Cairnburn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:14 am

Lol. Liked that last one - 2.8m fine is gonna sting. I know original post was on trading but given slaves got a mention....consider smuggling.

T6, T7 and T9 can be cumbersome. I have a T6 but also run a Diamondback Scout with a 20 ton cargo loadout and use the bulletin boards to pick up smuggling jobs. It's either transporting illegals (slaves, narcotics, weapons) or picking up sruff like black boxes, experimental chems, ancient artifacts, etc. Once your rep builds with factions your getting six-figure payouts pretty quickly.

The Scout is FAST so easier to: avoid scans in / out of stations; evade interdicts; outrun trouble. Plus whilst my T6 is a bit unwieldy the Scout can punch back.

It's a nice break when the monotony of trade runs kicks in.

Return to “Meeting Point”