Just another pilot's story

Tell us your stories of Elite: Dangerous!
L'Kas Rykr
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: L'Kas Rykr
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Just another pilot's story

Postby L'Kas Rykr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:43 pm

So, I’ve seen that some people have done a bit of role-playing here and have written the story of how their CMDR started out, and how they live their lives. I’ve noticed that this has been received well by the Mobius community, so I’d thought I’d add mine to the list. I’m just a hobbyist writer, so I’m not the best author around. Obviously, I’ll try to fix any spelling and grammar errors I make, so it’ll be readable.

-----
Story
-----

During my travels, I’ve had dockers ask me about my story. More often than not, I’ll bite and give them a synopsis. I’m nothing special, but they seem to hang on my words. Hell, I’ve even caught the occasional pilot listening. I guess that working on and near so many ships give them fantasies, and a pilot’s story is eaten up as if the docker is starving. Not that I have any problem with this. Like I said, more often than not I’ll indulge them. So, I got to thinking. You want a story, dockers? I’ll give you mine.

I was born to a rather destitute family at Trevithick Dock in LHS 3447. Not much traffic other than miners. Anyone else who comes in leaves and never comes back, so even high-level dockers get a crap wage. My parents weren’t anything more than gophers, so they got it even worse. They could barely afford to keep themselves afloat, let alone raising a kid. So when I was born, they gave me up to foster care. Today, I don’t feel any animosity because I understand why they did it. Back then I was singing a different tune.

I was a little hell-raiser. I was given up by my parents, and I didn’t understand why. I felt like it was my fault. I didn’t know how to deal with the guilt, so I lashed out. I was the mean kid nobody wanted to hang around with and nobody wanted to adopt. I quieted down as I got older. My reputation was cemented so all it took was a look to get people to leave me alone. Except for Elizabeth, my older foster-sister. She was the only one who wasn’t afraid of me, but then, she could lay me out. She got me, understood the dark cloud over my head. It was actually mostly her doing that quieted me down. By then, though, I was too old for most potential adopters to even consider me.

There was one though. When she came in, I happened to pass by. We looked at each other, and my face had the same scowl it always did. My first thought was “She’s not going to pick me. no one ever picks me.” I didn’t even pause in my stride. Later that night, I recalled the encounter. Suddenly, something clicked. To this day, I’m not fully sure what it really was. It felt like that woman’s eyes were boring into me, reading every page in my book no matter how hard I tried to keep it closed. When she was done reading, it felt like she understood me better than even I did. All this in the split second we held each other’s gazes. I cried myself to sleep that night, many emotions washing over me. Emotions that I had held back for so long. It was as if a dam had burst.

The woman had come in several more times over the next few weeks. Little did I know, she had decided to pick me on that very first encounter. Since I didn’t know that, my heart quickened with a longing I hadn’t felt in years every time she came in. I wanted so desperately for her to pick me. Of course, I never showed it. Appearances to keep up and all that. Elizabeth knew though, she always did.

When the adoption process was over, she came up to me and said, simply, “You’re the one, L’Kas. I’m taking you home.” I nearly burst into tears on the spot. I kept my cool, though, and went to pack up my few belongings. She never talked to me when she came into the foster home. I didn’t even know her name, Irena Izumi, until the drive to her place. Took a few days to gauge her personality, too. Apparently, Izumi came from a similar background, so she did understand me as well as I had hoped.

We got along pretty well. She taught me how to control my anger, frustration, guilt, et cetera and redirect the energy into doing something productive. Izumi was patient with me, but was able to balance it with the pressure she put on me to learn what she was trying to teach. Her methods were very effective. I still have a short fuse, but I know how to direct the energy into my work rather than lashing out at the person provoking me. It’s definitely kept me out of trouble.

When I was old enough, Izumi took me as an apprentice in the Federal Security division she worked for. At Trevithick, if you wanted money, there were three options. Security, mining, and piracy. All of which required a pilot’s license. The Feds taught me how to fly and gave me a license. I trained for everything I could, so that I could be useful to Izumi. I got certified in combat, commercial, freight, and private flying. I could do whatever was needed of me.

Eventually, we got a job. Working for the Feds, we go where we were told to, whether it was in-system or not. There was a colony of settlers in a nearby system that had roots in the ancient Native American peoples from Sol. This colony had a group that splintered off to return to their roots. A documentary film crew wanted to get a look at the cohabitation of modern and ancestral settlers, and we were to mediate. Easy job, or so we thought.

Eventually, Izumi stepped out to let me get some hands-on experience. I did good for a while, until the one “Ancestral” representative decided he didn’t like the idea of a film crew getting so close to his people. He lost it when one of his fellow local representatives made a concession in the film crew’s favor. He turned violent, but I was ready for the conflagration. I held him at bay while the others escaped. Izumi returned as soon as she heard what happened, and knocked the delegate down. When she turned her back, though, he got up and killed her from behind. I won’t go into too much detail, but I lost it and eventually killed the man. I was never charged with anything, as my actions were legally justifiable.

The Feds didn’t like my actions nonetheless, and fired me. I had nowhere to go. Izumi was dead and I had no job. I seriously considered taking my own life. Until Elizabeth heard what happened. She had been out of the foster home, married, and a mother by that time. She helped me out of my darkest hour. By the end, I had a thousand credits, and Elizabeth’s husband gave me an old Sidewinder his family had no further use for. Obviously, I paid them back when I was able to.

Now that I had my own ship, It was time to move on. Trevethick was full of pain for me. Found a good job as an independent contractor, doing mostly transport gigs. Worked my way up to an Adder, a Viper Mk III, and eventually, a Cobra Mk III. I eventually moved on toward Sol. I was curious to see the system where it all started. Of course, I found out that since I’m not allied with the Federation, I can’t get in. Oh, well. Decided to try to find a near by high-tech station that had the ships I was looking for to complete my fleet. I found Snyder Enterprise, in the TZ Arietis system.

I still wanted a Diamondback and an Anaconda. I had decided to keep Izumi’s memory alive through my fleet, “Izumi’s Spirit”. My ships are named after her usual emotions. My Viper’s name is “Izumi’s Ire” after her anger. Its role is as a fighter. My Cobra’s name is “Izumi’s Favor” after her kindness. Its role is as a light freighter. My Diamondback’s name is “Izumi’s Intrigue” after her curiosity. It’s my explorer. My Anaconda will be named “Izumi’s Sovereignty” after her control over herself and her subordinates. It’ll be my capital ship. I may also upgrade my Viper to a Vulture, so I can hold my own in whatever combat situation I may find myself in.

Despite my rough-ish past, I’ve got a good start on a career that I’m enjoying. I can use my Cobra and Viper / Vulture to change up the pace a bit and do some bounty hunting and transporting. All in all, I finally got things sorted out, and am in pretty good shape. A good end to the rough story of a nobody. Obviously, my story isn’t over yet, but I’ve shared as far as I can. My story will continue in my logs, saved in the Inara network.

-----
/Story
-----

As a hobbyist writer, I appreciate the occasional feedback, so feel free to tell me what you think.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Re: Just another pilot's story

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:51 am

i enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Quelle surprise......

Never knew you could read !!!!!!

And yea I liked that also.....Thought I'd posted yesterday to say so....

Obviously not.....

Must be an age thing....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Never knew you could read !!!!!!

Nah, you knew it... then you forgot.

It definitely is an age thing. It's called senility.

L'Kas Rykr
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: L'Kas Rykr

Postby L'Kas Rykr » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Okay, I've definitely seen you two floating around the site, and your interactions between the two of you and with others are usually hilarious. :lol:

I think I'm gonna like it here.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm sure you will. :)

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:21 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Thought I'd posted yesterday to say so....

Obviously not.....

Must be an age thing....

Age...

...Alcohol...

...Does it really matter? ;)

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:46 pm

It does....If you forget where you have put the alcohol..........

:)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:55 pm

L'Kas Rykr wrote:Okay, I've definitely seen you two floating around the site.

See Flip.......Told ya....

You're a "Floater"......

*Snick*

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
L'Kas Rykr wrote:Okay, I've definitely seen you two floating around the site.

See Flip.......Told ya....

You're a "Floater"......

He said the site, not the toilet bowl!

But I already noticed that you tend to mix those up.

Return to “Fan Fiction”