QWERTY Keyboards In-Universe

Eveything that is canon in the Elite: Dangerous universe.
LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: QWERTY Keyboards In-Universe

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:29 pm

I know it's just a limit, don't be silly :p
But you don't put a 130Km/h speed limit in town knowing you should never exceed 30 - 50
There, i was so surprised to see such high speed limit i decided to give it a go, just to see.

I later learned that there are open road races there, and honestly wondered if they did not put these for it lol

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:30 pm

A speed limit really only applies in bad weather. Otherwise it is just a suggested minimum. If you go slower people will want to run you off the road.

And in the future, I think we will have trained ourselves to use our feet for typing, freeing up our hands for better things.
It's time to give this another go.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:41 pm

What ever happened to "Computer, trace route to *****" "
Even Iron man had Jarvis, damn !

JTringali
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Tringali

Postby JTringali » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 pm

It's an interesting thing about standards... once something starts a certain way it will remain that way forever. Yes, QWERTY keyboards were actually a downgrade from Dvorak because people could type so fast the swing arms would collide with each other and get stuck. IBM fixed that problem in the 1950s with the "Selectric" typewriter which used that rotating ball and therefore didn't jam. Yet, the public was used to the keyboard. I'm in the US, and we're still on the British imperial measurement system, but other things are still in use that aren't in their optimal form. Bicycle seats are derivatives of horse saddles, and well designed ergonomic seats are just not standard. Cars (short for carriages) are modified horse carts, most prop planes have their propellers up front instead of in a pusher configuration, and most planes use conventional tails instead of canards, helicopters use anti-torque tail rotors instead of bleed air or stacked rotors, and our "spaceships" of 3304 use glass windows and don't even have 1960s era autopilots, and still use the Christian calendar instead of restarting a new one. It's fun.

Return to “Official Lore Talk”