Present 'other' alien races in ED?

Eveything that is canon in the Elite: Dangerous universe.
Grifs
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Grifs Astoni
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Present 'other' alien races in ED?

Postby Grifs » Tue May 19, 2015 11:23 am

I'm relatively new with Elite lore, so I'm not familiar regarding other sentient alien races.

Other than Thargoids, the only alien race I've heard about were some random sentient beings that have been exterminated by the Empire back then. Are there any other alien races on ED? Any other scarce info about alien life references in the game? Suddenly got a little curious when I saw one of the articles on the news list (I guess I'm kind of late on the ancient artifact stuff as well).

As further alien artefacts claiming to be from Soontill are being sold on the open market, the results of the initial scientific tests have been revealed.

“We were looking for key markers,” explains Chief Xeno-Chemist Lyran Betar. “Elemental make up, crystalline structure, anything that indicates it could have originated from human hand.”

And the results? Inconclusive. The research team’s results clearly state that no known human technology could have created the relics, yet they do not quite align with known Thargoid materials. Whatever they are, they are indeed very old, with isotopic dating indicating that they could well be tens of thousands of years old.

Jean Molyneaux, a historian from France, Earth, suggests we look back at our own past to determine the home of these relics. “Imagine an alien travelling back two thousand years into mankind’s past. The varied culture, arts and building materials of the Aztecs, Greeks, the Shang dynasty, what have you, the alien could think they were all different species, if that was his way of thinking…”

The community seems wary of awarding these artefacts any title yet, given the fifty years of false hopes since Soontill was first mentioned by the Thargoids. However, reports indicate that these relics have now arrived at labs on both Mars and Capitol for further testing, and with any luck, we may soon finally agree on what these relics are, or are not.

Zieman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Zieman

Re: Present 'other' alien races in ED?

Postby Zieman » Mon May 25, 2015 9:35 am

Not yet, but I recall David Braben and/or Michael Brookes commenting that there are (= will be later) worse things than Thargoids out there (in game).
Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
My Elite: Dangerous videos , All you wanted to know about the game. And more.

hi100040
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Dazlarus

Postby hi100040 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Sorry for dredging up an old thread here but there are also the Guardians now, a most likely extinct race but our studies into their history are still ongoing. It is fascinating learning more and more about them as people discover their ruins on planets and solve the puzzles. Also, the NPC scientists are revealing more about them at fairly regular intervals.

There are also many alien species on planets that have been colonized, some of them were even intelligent. They aren't exactly "races" in the same sense the Thargoids are but it is easy to forget that there is life in the universe when all we can do now is land on planets without atmospheres.

GlaringLamb
Harmless
Harmless

Postby GlaringLamb » Tue May 02, 2017 10:37 am

hi100040 wrote:Sorry for dredging up an old thread here but there are also the Guardians now, a most likely extinct race but our studies into their history are still ongoing. It is fascinating learning more and more about them as people discover their ruins on planets and solve the puzzles. Also, the NPC scientists are revealing more about them at fairly regular intervals.

There are also many alien species on planets that have been colonized, some of them were even intelligent. They aren't exactly "races" in the same sense the Thargoids are but it is easy to forget that there is life in the universe when all we can do now is land on planets without atmospheres.

I agree I also think it would be nice to expand on the different life out there and now that we can make our own commanders maybe they could add different affects to them that belong to different planets we would evolve to take different forms to survive on those worlds but what do I know.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 am

The current alien race that hyperdicts players, are they indeed Thargoids? I have not seen any confirmation from Frontiers side. So far they have just been talking about aliens.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Wed May 03, 2017 8:47 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:The current alien race that hyperdicts players, are they indeed Thargoids? I have not seen any confirmation from Frontiers side. So far they have just been talking about aliens.

FD's official current stance is that there is no such thing as Thargoids, however the general opinion is that they are Thargoids.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

hi100040
Harmless
Harmless

Postby hi100040 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 am

GlaringLamb wrote:
hi100040 wrote:Sorry for dredging up an old thread here but there are also the Guardians now, a most likely extinct race but our studies into their history are still ongoing. It is fascinating learning more and more about them as people discover their ruins on planets and solve the puzzles. Also, the NPC scientists are revealing more about them at fairly regular intervals.

I agree I also think it would be nice to expand on the different life out there and now that we can make our own commanders maybe they could add different affects to them that belong to different planets we would evolve to take different forms to survive on those worlds but what do I know.

I read a thing on Reddit that, apparently, back during the Kickstarter they were talking about "big game" hunting being a feature on atmospheric planets. Also the unofficial "Elite: Escape Velocity" radio drama mentions "gold-skins" from a certain planet being an adaptation due to something in the soil that gets into the food. Since it's unofficial and I'm too young to have played the original Elite games; I don't know if that comes from the lore or just part of the fan fiction.

hi100040
Harmless
Harmless

Postby hi100040 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:17 am

Xebeth wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:The current alien race that hyperdicts players, are they indeed Thargoids? I have not seen any confirmation from Frontiers side. So far they have just been talking about aliens.

FD's official current stance is that there is no such thing as Thargoids, however the general opinion is that they are Thargoids.

If you look at the pictures of the "Thargoids" from the original game (maybe the 2nd one, not sure never played either of them) and compare to the current hyperdicting aliens, it's easy to see why the general opinion is that they are those "Thargoids" from the old game. Quotes around Thargoid because that isn't necessarily their name, just what they became colloquially called during the Thargoid War... which was mysteriously erased from history according to the Salome revelations.

Return to “Official Lore Talk”