A Question of Size...

Eveything that is canon in the Elite: Dangerous universe.
UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

A Question of Size...

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu May 14, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm not exactly sure which forum this topic would need to be posted in, so I tried to pick the best fit!

But! For the sake of my curiosity, and to try and generate a bit of conversation while I'm stuck in here at my desk:

An Anaconda fitted out solely for combat, what type of warship might we consider that to be? The GalNet description lists them off at "frigate or light cruiser". But is the Anaconda quite big enough to warrant a frigate classification? Or is it just a really large corvette?

And if the Anaconda is a frigate, does that make the Python a corvette? Or a really small frigate?

And I guess my main question (pick one, I suppose :D ) is, does the community think Frontier will keep getting bigger and bigger with their ships? Do we see anything in the future more massive than the Anaconda (panther clipper?)...big enough to make changes to landing pads and starports, or do we suspect they'll go for variety?

Or both? :D

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Re: A Question of Size...

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu May 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Also, perhaps those of you more familiar with the previous games than I am could let me know what ships you'd LIKE to see released. Perhaps you have a favorite vessel that isn't currently in game?

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Feldspar » Thu May 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Sea ship classes seem to be rather fluid, but if you want an in-game example, the largest planned (so far) player combat ship is the Federal Corvette which will probably be somewhere around the Anaconda but more heavily armed. There's supposed to be an Imperial Cutter which will probably fill the same role on the other side, but be lighter armed and faster.

As for ships not in the game, I guess I'd like to see the Boa back, but I don't think it currently has a niche in the game without significant redesign.

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Thu May 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey all,
How about a carrier of some sort?
Maybe transport a number of wings into battle..?
Almost like a mobile space station with all the modern conveniences - and I suppose with a bar for CMDR Kharma.? ;)
Might I join you..?
Dudley.. :D
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu May 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Dudley wrote:How about a carrier of some sort?

I am pretty interested in carrier mechanics, myself. Curious to see what the devs will ultimately do with them!

You also got me thinking about utility/refuel/rearming ships like mobile refineries from Homeworld or the Lodestar from the original Planetside. A big bulky ship that you could "park" and set yourself up as a refueling station, or a drop off point for commodities...

...I have no idea whether that would actually be a good fit for Elite: Dangerous, but I do know that I'm interested in more instances and opportunities for meaningful player to player interaction (like ship to ship docking.)

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu May 14, 2015 7:14 pm

UnmarkedBoxcar wrote:I'm not exactly sure which forum this topic would need to be posted in, so I tried to pick the best fit!

But! For the sake of my curiosity, and to try and generate a bit of conversation while I'm stuck in here at my desk:

An Anaconda fitted out solely for combat, what type of warship might we consider that to be? The GalNet description lists them off at "frigate or light cruiser". But is the Anaconda quite big enough to warrant a frigate classification? Or is it just a really large corvette?

A quick search of the forums indicates that the general agreement is that Anaconda is around 150m long, by comparison the Royal Navy frigates (Type 23) are 133m long, so a frigate would be a good description.

A Python seems to be about a third of the length of the Anaconda, so that would put in the class of the Minehunters.

And that's enough geeking from me :geek:
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Jellicoe
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jellicoe

Postby Jellicoe » Tue May 03, 2016 8:42 pm

My thinking, using 20th century naval comparisons is that the Capital ships equal battleships, Corvette, Cutter & Anaconda equal cruisers, Python equals a destroyer.

Return to “Official Lore Talk”