"Wibble"

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Acornsoft Elite - Promo Video 1984

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sat May 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Poor Cmdr Jameson, but stiff upper lip and all that. ;)

Great find, but I wonder where was anyone supposed to see that? Like most games, I never heard of Elite before I read the box in the store, and back in the day I never saw more than an ad or review in the new PC gamer magazines for most other games.
It's time to give this another go.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sat May 28, 2016 5:17 pm

It was probably aimed at the games shops and game magazines, not the gamers themselves.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Sat May 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Wow, brings back some great memories! I really miss my BBC B, fantastic system for the day, set me on course for my eventual career.

A first rate introduction to a brilliant game. I wasted much of my school homework time on it!

Thanks for posting!
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Sat May 28, 2016 6:02 pm

I don't believe I ever saw ads for Elite back then, being in America and all, but what games I did know about were all from computer magazines, be it ads or reviews. This makes me wonder what else is floating around out there.

The video says that Commander Ryder flies for Her Majesty's Space Navy. Um... which majesty? Pretty sure he also said that Lave was a Federation world (this is pre-Alliance, I guess), which doesn't have a queen.

So confused.

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Sat May 28, 2016 6:51 pm

I had Elite on my Amstrad CPC 464 with its whopping 64KB of RAM :)

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Sat May 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Schmobius wrote:...The video says that Commander Ryder flies for Her Majesty's Space Navy. Um... which majesty? Pretty sure he also said that Lave was a Federation world (this is pre-Alliance, I guess), which doesn't have a queen.

So confused.

Oh Schmobius, we didn't care about such trivialities when we were bin lids playing this game. We just wanted to start our tapes, wait half hour for it to load and then kick some pixelated bottom. :lol:

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Sat May 28, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't remember this either, stumbled across it so shared. I do remember a cinema advert for Elite BBC version but can't for the fuck of me find it anywhere.
"Wibble"

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Sun May 29, 2016 12:54 am

Myrm wrote:
Schmobius wrote:...The video says that Commander Ryder flies for Her Majesty's Space Navy. Um... which majesty? Pretty sure he also said that Lave was a Federation world (this is pre-Alliance, I guess), which doesn't have a queen.

So confused.

Oh Schmobius, we didn't care about such trivialities when we were bin lids playing this game. We just wanted to start our tapes, wait half hour for it to load and then kick some pixelated bottom. :lol:

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to staring at a little red drive loading light for what felt like hours on my old Apple IIGS. Mostly The Crylan Mission and War In Middle Earth. So much loading.... (Had to wait a number of years to get Wing Commander in the States for anything remotely similar to Elite)

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”