Post your Elite: Dangerous videos here!
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

2.1 Beta 6 - Tougher AI

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue May 24, 2016 11:22 am

In this first vid, I blundered into a fur ball and attacked the wrong ship. Thankfully, the AI cops attacked her wingmen or I would probably have died. It was easy to take down her shields and damage her hull because she wasn't firing back or using SCBs. For some reason the cops left, and then she started with the turrets and SCBs when her shields regenerated. Then I got rammed and had to run. Cut 5 minutes while my shields regenerate. Then it's more turrets and SCBs until I guess she runs out. I also had a tough time getting out of range of those turrets. I've never had this kind of problem with a Python before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9JupSt95ro

In this second vid, I'd just finished taking out an Anaconda, with the help of this DBS, when I noticed he was also wanted and thought WTF. Then it was just pass after pass after pass of him doing double back flips with 1-1/2 twists turning around on me. I was never in much danger (thanks to no wingmen). I think I got his shields down 5 times, but he was maneuvering so quickly that I just couldn't hit him. It doesn't help that the large multi-cannon takes 2-3 seconds to spin up, and he wasn't spamming chaff, so a gimballed gun would have worked fine. When you see me shooting the lasers low, that's because I have a habit of squeezing both triggers when engaging with the multi-cannon. Anyway, I finally got him but it was exhausting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8nNPTVEzU

That AI seems much tougher to me than the current 2.0 AI. Partly my problem is using a fixed multi-cannon and partly it's that my FA off sucks. I don't think I can stay with the fixed multi-cannon if I want to attack smaller ships (I don't know why I'm so fixated on trying to use fixed weapons). That 2-3 second spin up is ridiculous compared to 1/2 second on the Vulcan in an A10. I'm still learning my FA off flips, trying not to hit the boost. Anyway, any constructive criticism would be welcome.
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: 2.1 Beta 6 - Tougher AI

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 24, 2016 11:39 am

I find it that with the vulture, even though we have large multicannons now, they are pointless on a ship with this few hardpoints.

Two large pulses will still remain the vulture staple.

On a python however I would probably go with a group of three beam\burst (one large, two medium) and two large multi's.

The hardest 50k I have made was in 2.0 actually. when I picked a fight against a cobra mk3 with my gunship with fixed flak cannons..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Tue May 24, 2016 11:47 am

NPCs take longer to kill in 2.1 beta for sure. The trick is to go to Hi-RES and let the security do the work for you. Security response is insane now, so much so that there's more chance of me getting a bounty because they got in the way! ;-)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 am

Phillipus wrote:NPCs take longer to kill in 2.1 beta for sure. The trick is to go to Hi-RES and let the security do the work for you. Security response is insane now, so much so that there's more chance of me getting a bounty because they got in the way! ;-)

Its mostly down to combat rating on the npc now, deadly and up, you can expect a fight, but dangerous and below it's not so bad and even a master python can be worth 200k.

But honestly I hope they dial down the system authority before release, as it is now it's hard to find wanted targets since the police blow them up before me.

And it seems 2\3 of an instance alotment of npc's in a high res is now populated by police and powerplay, the other third is split between wanted targets and miners, and there are more miners than pirates..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Jypson
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Jypson

Postby Jypson » Tue May 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Phillipus wrote:NPCs take longer to kill in 2.1 beta for sure. The trick is to go to Hi-RES and let the security do the work for you. Security response is insane now, so much so that there's more chance of me getting a bounty because they got in the way! ;-)

Very true, and with the AI update, the Sec ships are actually pretty fun to fly with! I haven't had so much fun in a while just taking an Eagle out and 'winging up' with the Sec ships in a HIRES!

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Tue May 24, 2016 2:03 pm

TorTorden wrote:On a python however I would probably go with a group of three beam\burst (one large, two medium) and two large multi's.
Yes, yes, wise!
TorTorden wrote:But honestly I hope they dial down the system authority before release, as it is now it's hard to find wanted targets since the police blow them up before me.

No, no! I think it would be better to find a haz rez, cnb, or farm in an anarcy system.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Jypson
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Jypson

Postby Jypson » Tue May 24, 2016 2:58 pm

TorTorden wrote:I find it that with the vulture, even though we have large multicannons now, they are pointless on a ship with this few hardpoints.

On a python however I would probably go with a group of three beam\burst (one large, two medium) and two large multi's.

The hardest 50k I have made was in 2.0 actually. when I picked a fight against a cobra mk3 with my gunship with fixed flak cannons..

I've been moving more into Alpha damage territory with the new AI. Less time on target, so I need more punch!

[Python]
L: 3B/F Plasma Accelerator
L: 3B/F Plasma Accelerator
L: 3C/G Beam Laser
M: 2D/G Beam Laser
M: 2D/G Beam Laser

Beams in Group 1 and Plasma Weps in Group 2. I open with Plasma, and use beams when the chaff is down, and return to plasma when the chaff is active. I've had a lot of success!

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Tue May 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Jypson wrote:I've been moving more into Alpha damage territory with the new AI. Less time on target, so I need more punch!

That's been my approach now. Huge Beams on Corvette does the trick!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Phillipus wrote:
Jypson wrote:I've been moving more into Alpha damage territory with the new AI. Less time on target, so I need more punch!

That's been my approach now. Huge Beams on Corvette does the trick!

Just finished a round testing huge beams and cannons on my vette in the high res in deciat, granted the ship is pretty modified but all the guns are vanilla.

Anything smaller or more nimble than a python I can completely forget the cannons about, anything python and larger the cannons pretty much annihilate, a couple of volleys from the two medium and two small cannons against a decent anaconda npc took nearly 50% off the module, he spun around at point so I got a slightly less optimal angle after that but it was a very quick fight.

I have tried running plasma's on the python before, just wen't a little to hot for my tastes.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 am

TorTorden wrote:I find it that with the vulture, even though we have large multicannons now, they are pointless on a ship with this few hardpoints.

Sadly, I think you're right. I was really looking forward to the large multi-cannons. An unexpected benefit was all the extra power available for engines or shields. The fixed versions are very powerful, but too hard to use against zippy small ships. The gimballed versions are very weak by comparison, though I suppose they will get the job done if you double them up on a larger ship. I guess if I really want to experiment with the new weapons I'll need to break out the Python, FDL, or Anaconda.

I went back into the regular game, ostensibly to check how the latest Nvidia drivers worked, but I also checked out my old dual large burst laser setup. I swear, compared to beta 6, it was like shooting down drones. It's clear to me that I must have gotten better practicing against the new AI. I also had no CTD in about 2 hours, so that problem may be solved, but they still have the pulsing effect using SLI.
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”