Post your Elite: Dangerous videos here!
Jypson
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Jypson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

2.1 Beta 4 / Beta 6 NPC Combat AI Comparison

Postby Jypson » Mon May 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Greetings CMDR's! There's been a lot of talk lately about the new AI and how it was nerfed between Beta 4 and Beta 6. Let's take a look at a side-by-side and see what's actually changed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiIUwzAyp6U

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Re: 2.1 Beta 4 / Beta 6 NPC Combat AI Comparison

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm not sure how fair it was comparing different ranked ships with different security support. I thought they were supposed to balance running away and add it back, but I haven't seen it. I would like to see a small, over-matched ship occasionally run away. I've also still seen a lot of SCB use. My experience so far in beta 6 is I'm getting my ass handed to me. Well, not always, but enough to bother me. But I'll blame it on switching to fixed weapons and not having the greatest joystick, but things have been improving.

About different ranked ships, I've always found master Anacondas to be the most difficult, apparently because they use turrets that constantly fire on you. I often had them take my shields down, and they always took the longest to kill. Elites were a breeze by comparison.

I think, when the update drops and it starts counting, I'm going to be very careful about taking on wings until I can hit a ship head on with fixed weapons. With my current joystick I always seem to be pitching high or low. I did order a new joystick that should help a lot. I also need to work on getting back into position. But even in a Vulture, taking on a DBE and IE, even using FA off, I find myself in a circling duel with one while the other can shoot me at his will, and that's not fun - especially when the cops decide not to help. I think having fixed weapons may help (for maneuverable ships), but having wingmates will help even more.

In any case, things are definitely more difficult in the beta than in the standard game, which is good. :)
It's time to give this another go.

Jypson
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Jypson

Re: 2.1 Beta 4 / Beta 6 NPC Combat AI Comparison

Postby Jypson » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Comparisons are never 'fair' as there are too many variables, but it does give insight into what's going on.

As far as SCB's go, if they have them, they use them one after the other. Either they're frying their internals using them, or they have invisible heatsinks, not sure whats going on there.

Chaff is also a little wonky. If they have chaff, they will spam them in a 10 second pattern. 10 seconds on 10 seconds off. Predictable, so defeat-able, though it is pretty dumb.

I suspect there is also a bug causing ships to be spawned with all fixed weapons, and if they can't maneuver into a firing position, they'll get stuck in a pitching pattern where as long as you are you're fast enough, they can't resolve it. You see that with the FDS in the vid. I reported it in the bugs forum, and they're taking a look.

In a post 2.1 launch, pilots facing off with higher ranked NPC's will have to be proficient with FA Off usage and generous directional thrusters to keep yourself in a good firing position. Fixed will be a must, but also use gimballed for when the chaff is in cool-down to deliver some focused shots to the module of choice. I still go for the PP over everything else.

If you have explosives, you can try for the chaff launchers themselves, but personally I'm not a huge fan of explosives as the bigger ships usually have Point Defense.

It's going to be a brave new galaxy out there, good luck CMDR! o7

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”