Elite Dangerous and Persistence

Post your Elite: Dangerous videos here!
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Elite Dangerous and Persistence

Postby smartroad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:23 pm

A short video on my views of persistence in the Elite universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF635i1oTIw

My first attempt at a serious video so please be gentle :lol:
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Elite Dangerous and Persistence

Postby TorTorden » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Ok haven't watched it yet but in my opinion. Elite's problem with persistence is it hardly have any. At all.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Looks well and couldn't agree more.
This is just one instance where the lack of persistence gets rather glaring.
Another was the last exioce war. Where you would fend off the cap ship with not a small amount of effort. You would go out for ammo and as soon as you get back. There it is again...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:07 pm

I'd like them to first lose about 99.9% of the POIs, especially as you get further from the bubble, and then go ahead and make them persistent. They could still seed temporary ones for missions that only the player taking the mission can see. But otherwise, I guestimate there are 200,000,000,000,000 escape pods in the galaxy, and a similar number of cargo canisters of animal meat, tea, and personal weapons, as well as blown up SRVs and crashed ships. I find this very annoying. As for big buildings, yeah, make them persistent, but please not so many of them!
It's time to give this another go.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:... as well as blown up SRVs

Ahem...

The rumours that they are all mine are exaggerated. Not much, but still exaggerated.

:roll:
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I'd like them to first lose about 99.9% of the POIs, especially as you get further from the bubble, and then go ahead and make them persistent. They could still seed temporary ones for missions that only the player taking the mission can see. But otherwise, I guestimate there are 200,000,000,000,000 escape pods in the galaxy, and a similar number of cargo canisters of animal meat, tea, and personal weapons, as well as blown up SRVs and crashed ships. I find this very annoying. As for big buildings, yeah, make them persistent, but please not so many of them!

I think they shouldn't have had the POI at a few km above the planet, because it means having the spawn rate so high so you aren't flying for hours at only 2-300 meters power second. If you were scanning from orbital cruise then you can have fewer POIs as you would be covering more ground.

Things like missing people should actually be provided with long/lat coordinates to search around, rather than just picking a direction and hoping!

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:53 am

Hello,
I've played some other MMOs. And I feel that because of the BGS and power play, ED is actually quite persistent. Especially for PvE.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:57 am

Falcon_D wrote:Hello,
I've played some other MMOs. And I feel that because of the BGS and power play, ED is actually quite persistent. Especially for PvE.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

I don't disagree with you there. There is a lot of persistence, I mean look at how we managed to get The Order into a new system, which is now a feature of that system. The great thing there is that it works so well people don't notice it.

The problem is that it makes other areas where you would expect perisitence glaringly obvious. I happened to bump into this issue once when I had a connection issue and suddenly the buildings and, more importantly, the 8 cans of gold disappeared. Now I wasn't bothered by the loss of the gold, it was 'free' anyway, but it was that it disappeared. Also that there are only a few static buildings on a planet in heavily populated systems makes them feel empty. I wouldn't expect them all to be listed, but why not work it the same way as exploration? You drive or fly around the planet and as you find these structures the database gets populated. Gives another way for explorers to gain credits, and get 'found by' and could encourage those who like the idea of exploring but don't like the idea of heading out of the bubble.

I don't want this to be negative though, I just wanted to put out some ideas on ways that the game could be made even better :)

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:49 am

I think we would see more cities, planetary outposts once we can land on places with atmosphere.
But I agree that some areas need more work on persistence. For example, I once found a secured camp that my ship's scanners didn't pick up while in SC. I landed close by and drove to it on my SRV. Parked right next to it, then had to log off while the servers updated. When I logged back in, the camp was missing.

Turjan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Turjan

Postby Turjan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:49 am

Good video, and a very valid point.

To my mind, the question of persistence is the kind of thing that our Kickstarter promised Offline Mode could've accommodated to bring the world of the solo pilot to life and make him feel part of something larger.

But we all know what happened to that :roll:

The truly sad thing to me about the lack of persistence we have now is that it actively promotes the exact opposite feeling to the one I just mentioned. It's ironic really - POIs were introduced as an attempt to bring some life and depth to otherwise barren and empty worlds, but instead the ephemeral nature of the POIs we have now actually diminishes the player's feeling of being in a living galaxy :(

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”