Space Comrade presents: new series on the block.

Post your Elite: Dangerous videos here!
SpaceComrade
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Space Comrade
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Space Comrade presents: new series on the block.

Postby SpaceComrade » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:43 am

Hello, fellow Commanders.

Space Comrade here. After a good while of playing with Elite, I have decided to make videos about my time in the galaxy. With Flight Assist off. Now, I am far, far away from being an expert while flying with FA off, however I feel that it provides a higher challenge in game. And you all get to watch me fail miserably while trying to fly that way.

Anyways, here is the first episode:

https://youtu.be/pk1p4wxhfa0

Any comments, suggestions, feedback are welcome.

Note: the quality is not the best at the moment, I apologize for that. Still fiddling with the settings.

Fly safe o7.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Re: Space Comrade presents: new series on the block.

Postby Nethaufer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Cool, nice to see someone else picking up where Isinona left off. In a metaphorical sense.

SpaceComrade
Harmless
Harmless

Postby SpaceComrade » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:44 pm

I would never even dare to compare myself to Isinona. I was inspired by her/his videos though, trying to achieve a nice story telling throughout the galaxy. And maybe show people, that if you fly with FA off long enough, you will get good at it (at least that's my aim here...)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:05 pm

My problem with using FA off for long periods of time (as opposed to just quickly toggling it while maneuvering in combat), is that you cannot set different controls sensitivities for it. With my usual settings, the controls are way too sensitive with FA off. And if I lowered the sensitivity to make FA off comfortable, I’m afraid flying with FA on would be nearly impossible. I suspect that Isinona and those who use FA off all the time have their controllers set specifically for it and pretty much never use FA on.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

SpaceComrade
Harmless
Harmless

Postby SpaceComrade » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:34 pm

I can relate to that. I am using a Thrustmaster Flight X HOTAS and the sensitivity is pretty high. It has no software for sensitivity tweaks, so I tried to change it around a bit using Joystick Curves. And although I did manage to lower the sensitivity on roll, pitch and yaw axis, that impacted while flying with the only "FA only on" place: supercruise. Rolling and pitching was painfully slow, not even mentioning that I was losing every single interdiction as the result. So I basically went back to the stock sensitivity and figured: I will eventually get used to it. And although I still tend to overcorrect a bit, I feel that slowly I am feeling more and more comfortable with it. I suppose it is only a matter of just muscle memory.

Turjan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Turjan

Postby Turjan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm always in awe of anyone who flies FA-Off - I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS too and every time I try FA-Off it's all proximity alerts and the sound of scraped paint lol

SpaceComrade
Harmless
Harmless

Postby SpaceComrade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:30 am

The first time I saw Isinona's FA Off skills, I was in awe as well. Then I tried to do it... My first ever dock using FA Off resulted in a rage quit. I just couldn't bring myself to control the ship rotating and pitching wildly all over the place while trying at the same time to regulate the speed. But then, slowly I was forcing myself to get used to it. After quite a while I started feeling more and more comfortable with it, and, although I'm still far far away from being an expert, I can definitely advocate to the fact that with a lot of practice, it is eventually possible to control it.

Loving your series, btw!

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”