Post your Elite: Dangerous videos here!
Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Simulating 21:9 aspect ratio

Postby Digga » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:42 pm

I have been considering buying a large 21:9 monitor for a while now.

I decided to give this frontier forum post a go and see how the game plays at 21:9 aspect.

I did everything in the thread to get my desktop to 1980:810, loaded the game and set the res and windowed mode, then exited the game. Put my desktop back to its standard res (at 1980:1200 I had two large black bars above and below), loaded the game and it started at 1980:810 or 21:9... so all good.

If anyone is considering 21:9, I suggest you try out the tip on the frontier forums, it is very easy and you don't need to keep you desktop at that res to play the game with 21:9 aspect.

I also streamed it directly to YouTube and you can see how a cobra looks, playing at 21:9

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Simulating 21:9 aspect ratio

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:37 pm

I love the 21:9 ratio! I have an LG 34" super wide monitor, and run E-D at 3440X1440 resolution. It's spectacular! If you search my posts for images and videos you can see what the aspect ratio change does for your field of view. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Wulfy
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Wulf Sternhammer

Postby Wulfy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:46 pm

hmm...might give this a try. I like the look.

Edit - I wonder how much better it would look if you applied the SweetFx mod too: http://elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1975
IGN: WULF STERNHAMMER

Digga
Competent
Competent

Postby Digga » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Wulfy wrote:I wonder how much better it would look if you applied the SweetFx mod too: http://elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1975

I had trouble with SweetFX, but found EDFX that wraps SweetFX and others with predefined profiles and a handy to use UI.
You can get it here: https://twitter.com/skypat

Phreedom
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Phreedom

Postby Phreedom » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Digga what FOV are you running with that 21:9 ratio?
Home System: Alioth / CMDR Since: Dec 2014-Mercenary Edition PC / Command Center / YouTube

Phreedom
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Phreedom

Postby Phreedom » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:02 pm

JohnLuke wrote:I love the 21:9 ratio! I have an LG 34" super wide monitor, and run E-D at 3440X1440 resolution. It's spectacular! If you search my posts for images and videos you can see what the aspect ratio change does for your field of view. ;)

I'm jealous...I've had my eye on one of those monitors for some time now. Thinking about one of the curved ones though.
Home System: Alioth / CMDR Since: Dec 2014-Mercenary Edition PC / Command Center / YouTube

Digga
Competent
Competent

Postby Digga » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:53 am

Phreedom wrote:Digga what FOV are you running with that 21:9 ratio?

The default

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 am

Phreedom wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:I love the 21:9 ratio! I have an LG 34" super wide monitor, and run E-D at 3440X1440 resolution. It's spectacular! If you search my posts for images and videos you can see what the aspect ratio change does for your field of view. ;)

I'm jealous...I've had my eye on one of those monitors for some time now. Thinking about one of the curved ones though.

Yup, mine is curved. :D It's the LG 34UC97-S. I moved up to it from a Samsung 27". There was virtually no difference in the height of the monitor desktop, but it's soooo much wider! Plus.... much brighter, sharper, and more vivid colors. Absolutely more immersive in games, and tons of desktop real estate when doing regular stuff on the PC.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Riboflavin
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Riboflavin

Postby Riboflavin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:11 am

It looks magnificant, indeed. And I can just imagine how the immersion is enhanced. Looked at some of these monitors myself and was so close to buy one. However I also play with the thought to buy one of the VR goggles (either the Occulus Rift or the HTC Vive) when they are released as consumer products next year. I wonder how redundant both "systems" are and whether it is worth to spend money on a new monitor?

Rimsplitter
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rimsplitter

Postby Rimsplitter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:32 am

I tried the simulated 21:9 on my 42" TV and I liked the view but it was just too small from the other side of the room.

One thing that has made a huge difference is VSR with my AMD graphics cards. They render 2560x1440 but filter it down for my 1080p screen. I thought it could only be a stupid gimmick but the effect really has to be seen to be believed.

In ED things render from much further away, so for example a secondary star and its planets that rendered as a yellow dot in 1080p will render as a tiny, distant planetary system in 1440. It just makes everything more realistic.

nVidia cards have a similar feature called GSR and if anyone has held off trying it because it sounds too good to be true then I strongly recommend giving it a go.
Pathfinder. Entrepeneur. Dangerous. Baron. Warrant Officer.

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”