Situational Awareness

Post your fabulous screenshots of Elite: Dangerous here!
Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Situational Awareness

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:05 pm

The TrackIR software is extremely flexible. You can define different curves and sensitivities for every direction, and if you take some time to set it up, it quickly becomes pretty much impossible to do without. And as other said, it really is a game changer!
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Flip wrote:The TrackIR software is extremely flexible. You can define different curves and sensitivities for every direction, and if you take some time to set it up, it quickly becomes pretty much impossible to do without. And as other said, it really is a game changer!

Even EDTracker has the ability to amplify your head movements so that if you turn your head a little, it will only turn a little in game, but the more you move, the more it moves in game. to turn completely around in the ship as far as it will go, I only have to turn my head just a little past the edge of the monitor.

I think that in the case of Black Rose, it may be not work comfortably and Walter, it may depend on how wide your centre focal point is.

Head tracking that works, in whatever form, is as others have said a Game Changer. But because of circumstances, some people may have issues. It is a shame that there is no way to really try this before you buy unless you can find a place that has a money back satisfaction policy.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Loriath wrote:
Flip wrote:Walter, it may depend on how wide your centre focal point is.

I remember how I could read a book with head still and eyes following the line - now the eyes stay still while the head has to move.

A lot of things are just a memory.

Thanks, anyway.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Loriath wrote:
Flip wrote:The TrackIR software is extremely flexible. You can define different curves and sensitivities for every direction, and if you take some time to set it up, it quickly becomes pretty much impossible to do without. And as other said, it really is a game changer!

Even EDTracker has the ability to amplify your head movements so that if you turn your head a little, it will only turn a little in game, but the more you move, the more it moves in game. to turn completely around in the ship as far as it will go, I only have to turn my head just a little past the edge of the monitor.

I think that in the case of Black Rose, it may be not work comfortably and Walter, it may depend on how wide your centre focal point is.

Head tracking that works, in whatever form, is as others have said a Game Changer. But because of circumstances, some people may have issues. It is a shame that there is no way to really try this before you buy unless you can find a place that has a money back satisfaction policy.

If you're close to me, you're welcome to try the TrackIR out

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:09 pm

evovi wrote:If you're close to me, you're welcome to try the TrackIR out

Appreciate the offer - I think I'll wait for VR to develop and hope my eyes can wait that long.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Walter wrote:
Loriath wrote:
Flip wrote:Walter, it may depend on how wide your centre focal point is.

I remember how I could read a book with head still and eyes following the line - now the eyes stay still while the head has to move.

A lot of things are just a memory.

Thanks, anyway.

Standing up without making a noise, going down stairs without knee pain, liking music in the charts, tolerating people, remembering something long enough to...err...um

Happy memories :P
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:23 am

Walter wrote:Am I right in thinking that, as you turn your head, the view changes but you have to keep your eyes on the screen?
I use varifocals so straight ahead is my only option.
Any other old farts players with a wide experience of life with the same problem?

I can't believe it was only 10 days ago you were asking about this. When I read your description, I got the impression you had to keep your eyes perpendicular to the screen, and to "look around", you'd have to move your whole head and torso right/left and up/down. But if it is just a matter of keeping your eyes looking straight through your glasses, so you can still turn or nod your head 10-15 degrees to glance around the periphery of your screen (not all the way to the edges), or you can look down at your keyboard and etc., then I think head tracking should work wonders for you. Sure, it may be difficult or impossible to look "behind" you in game, but just a 5-10 degree head tilt can translate into a 45-60 degree in game movement, with another 5 degrees having you look 90 degrees right or left, w/o having to open panels or using the mouse.

Actually, I just looked up varifocals, and they appear to be a type of progressive lens (like blended bi-focals but with more areas). This should really work ideally with head tracking, unlike the Tobii Eyex pupil tracker. And the ED tracker is fairly inexpensive, so if it doesn't work, you can probably sell it here for little loss. So with months, or possibly years for a good VR solution, it might be worth giving head tracking a go. You may end up thanking yourself.
It's time to give this another go.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:20 am

The funny thing about my original post was "hey look at this, if you unlock your camera and look down there are windows down there so you can dock easier and its pretty cool.

The thought never entered my mind about VR tracking and balls and that other stuff. lol

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 am

If you used head tracking, you would have always known about those windows. :) And it doesn’t only make docking easier. Being able to keep your eyes on your target when you’re fighting is a huge advantage. Not to mention how much it increases immersion.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:45 am

Black Rose wrote:With me, and I am not that old, I lose track of things of their motion is too exaggerated. Like if someone flips a coin, I see it go up and if I try to follow the motion is vanishes from my sight and then I'll see it fall. Any sudden motion that I try to track with my eyes is lost to me. So something like the tracker would make me nauseous :(

If you can drive a car w/o feeling nauseated, then you can use head tracking. It's just like checking your mirrors or looking out the side window before making a turn (you actually turn your head less, but your brain can't tell the difference if you aren't looking for it). There are plenty of settings to make it less sensitive (at least with TrackIR). I'm just sayin'... ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Screenshots”