Horizons 2.0 Beta Pics - Spoilers

Post your fabulous screenshots of Elite: Dangerous here!
TomoRosso

Re: Horizons 2.0 Beta Pics - Spoilers

Postby TomoRosso » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 am

Must say I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen so far out of Horizons, spawning inside planets, shadows missing on buggies and that Anaconda/Buggy screen shot doesn't even have shadows for the ship (could be due to graphic settings on the machine playing I suppose). Yes I realise Horizons is a beta but come on, some of the things that are showing up shouldn't have made it past internal alpha.

On a slightly related note, have FD made any statement on continued bug fixing for season one once 2 is underway. My concern is that all dev effort will go into season 2 leaving season one in a perpetual beta state where none of the v1.x "updates" actually works properly.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:56 pm

TomoRosso wrote:Anaconda/Buggy screen shot doesn't even have shadows for the ship (could be due to graphic settings on the machine playing I suppose)

I was on the dark side of the planet so nothing to create shadows. I had boosted the gamma on the image so you could see it clearer.

I jumped my SRV on top of the 'Conda :D Although the contact mesh means that it hovers (not that visible on the screenshot) off of the hull :lol:
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:28 pm

TomoRosso wrote:Must say I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen so far out of Horizons, spawning inside planets, shadows missing on buggies and that Anaconda/Buggy screen shot doesn't even have shadows for the ship (could be due to graphic settings on the machine playing I suppose). Yes I realise Horizons is a beta but come on, some of the things that are showing up shouldn't have made it past internal alpha.

On a slightly related note, have FD made any statement on continued bug fixing for season one once 2 is underway. My concern is that all dev effort will go into season 2 leaving season one in a perpetual beta state where none of the v1.x "updates" actually works properly.

I believe they have stated they will add any fixes and tweaks, even some additions that apply to the core game, say missions etc etc.
So no Elite dangerous won't be left entirely in the cold blackness of space just yet.

It might be a bit void of players though.

As for bugs (I posted the vid where I spawn underneath the surface, and then promptly CTD again :P) I was actually expecting just this, there is no way you can procedurally generate a 10au^2 plane of drive able surface and test every kilometre of it.
It happened twice at that one planet and not since.

Just the last update yesterday increased stability considerably.

Just the sheer size of it all blows my mind, I land on top of what looks like a small hill, and then spend 10 minutes (averaging 55Mp\h) getting halfway down to the valley side :D
Only had it for two days and I this is the game of the decade as far as I am concerned.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:12 pm

TorTorden wrote:I was actually expecting just this, there is no way you can procedurally generate a 10au^2 plane of drive able surface and test every kilometre of it.

I'm not saying I expect them to have done that, the bug forum has quite a number of players experiencing the same thing and I don't think it's beyond the realms of reason to expect FD to have seen this issue at least once while working on it over the last few months.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 pm

uvelius wrote:Has anyone spotted narrow canyon runs? I would love to fly through narrow canyons with my eagle at sucicidal speed, firing rockets after an even more suicidal NPC or something.

The deepest I've found so far are on the closest moon to the farthest planet in Shinrarta Deshra, but I haven't looked very far or wide and I know there must be some deeper and narrower twisty runs around. I'm not sure if NPCs will be messing with us around planets, but I'm sure other players would take up the challenge.

Here I am parked in a canyon. I tried driving the buggy up the sides and it couldn't take a grade more than about 45 degrees.

And here I am flying out of the canyons.

I assumed the Anaconda/buggy pic was on the "dark" side, but even though FD will make an asteroid ring pitch black in the shadows of a planet, even with gamma minimized the "dark" side of the moon is still way too bright. Head lights really aren't required. I don't know why they did that, but I hope it's something they are going to change. I don't mind bumping the gamma a bit if I want to see a little better.

Also, you do get ship shadows, and it's cool watching them follow the terrain contours as you fly over the surface.

FD did drop the ball on a lot of very obvious bugs that should have been spotted. I can only assume that nobody is held responsible because it might hurt their feelings or something and FD is a proud progressive company. :P

Still, this is definitely the "game of the decade", especially since it's the only game I've played this decade. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Yesterdays patch did something strange to my graphics. At least the laptop fans stopped trying to lift it into orbit...

Not a new planet type btw

Then I landed on a pad, deployed the srv, and went roaming.

Dude, where is my ship!

This tonight.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:41 am

"Wibble"

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:16 am

Darwin wrote:Yesterdays patch did something strange to my graphics. At least the laptop fans stopped trying to lift it into orbit...

Not a new planet type btw
]

Yeah I had some light weird after update yesterday, but deleting the GpuWorkTable.xml file in the

Code: Select all

"game folder"\products\PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64

Has pretty much cleared it up, it's been suprisingly stable and bug light today for me.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 am

TorTorden wrote:
Yeah I had some light weird after update yesterday, but deleting the GpuWorkTable.xml file in the

Code: Select all

"game folder"\products\PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64

Has pretty much cleared it up, it's been suprisingly stable and bug light today for me.

Thankyou, will try that tonight.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:05 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I assumed the Anaconda/buggy pic was on the "dark" side, but even though FD will make an asteroid ring pitch black in the shadows of a planet, even with gamma minimized the "dark" side of the moon is still way too bright. Head lights really aren't required. I don't know why they did that, but I hope it's something they are going to change. I don't mind bumping the gamma a bit if I want to see a little better.

I am in two minds about the dark side not being actually black.

On one hand the part that wants realism is disappointed by the decision as I kinda looked forward to find things literally in the black :lol: But I also thought that total blackness might go too far and near blackness would be better to see. Afterall it is a game :Dviewtopic.php?f=26&t=3808
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Return to “Screenshots”