Fire Group complexity post Ch 4 release.

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Norwin Palmer
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Fire Group complexity post Ch 4 release.

Postby Norwin Palmer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Depending on how a ship is outfit the fire groups can get messy with all the new modules and tools.

One thing I did was look at everything and sort them into operational modes, for example Wake Scanner only operates in normal space and DSS only operates in supercruise at low speed.

So I assigned them to the same group and key and let the game sort out which to fire depending on if I am in normal space or supercruise. I have to put up with warnings about being in the wrong mode for the "off" item sometimes but I can put up with that for the convenience.

It is a generic idea even though that was a specific application. For example miners often assign collector controllers and mining lasers to the same group and key and let the game keep track of when to fire collector limpets.

MikelGTC
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MikelGTC81
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Re: Fire Group complexity post Ch 4 release.

Postby MikelGTC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:13 pm

With mining lasers and collector limpets it is actually a neat idea, why didn't I though about that before :)

For such fire group combos I saw some commanders having railguns and other weapon (not sure if this was lasers or smth else) on same trigger, hitting in short bursts, and firing both only after holding down longer.

Also, I'm always having chaff/heatsink as a button mapped, never assign it to fire group.

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice

Postby Norwin Palmer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:12 pm

MikelGTC wrote:With mining lasers and collector limpets it is actually a neat idea, why didn't I though about that before :)

For such fire group combos I saw some commanders having railguns and other weapon (not sure if this was lasers or smth else) on same trigger, hitting in short bursts, and firing both only after holding down longer.

Also, I'm always having chaff/heatsink as a button mapped, never assign it to fire group.

I tried having the laser and collectors on the same key/button but decided to put the lasers on control one and collectors on control two in the same group. That way I can still top them off without interrupting mining but I can also let them expire naturally if I want to move to a new spot in the ring for example.

Also tried setting the alternate fire button one control for the lasers to a sticky key so I didn't have to hold it down to fire the lasers but that didn't turn out as useful as it sounded either.

I too try to have chaff, heatsink, and SCB mapped to keys, sometimes interesting the first time in combat after some update that might have changed the keymapping. Have lost a few ships that way. On the Vulture I have the SCB on a fire control group because my setups on a Vulture are usually only one or two groups anyway.

Jaggid Edje
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jaggid Edje

Postby Jaggid Edje » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Brilliant idea regarding the supercruise/normal space. I was already doing this for the difference between combat/utility mode but it didn't occur to me I could take it one step further. Thanks for sharing!

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice

Postby Norwin Palmer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 am

Jaggid Edje wrote:Brilliant idea regarding the supercruise/normal space. I was already doing this for the difference between combat/utility mode but it didn't occur to me I could take it one step further. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I got the idea from a guy over on the Nexus, Alek (Nexus user mitchalek) who is the author of Convenient Horses for Skyrim, so if there is any credit for being brilliant it goes to him.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”