Why does Frontier hate explorers?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Dyrewolff
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Dyrewolff
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Why does Frontier hate explorers?

Postby Dyrewolff » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:47 pm

So I'm a new PS4 player and I'm sure we've had people complain about this before. I finally got in an Anaconda and got an unexceptional jump range of about 27 LY. (I know you min/max'ers like to get up to 40). So I decided I wanted to unlock Palin and I think "cool, something forcing me on my first short exploration trip". I look up where people like to go so I pick going past Banard's Loop.

So I set out on my maiden voyage outside the bubble. Only to discover once I get there "screw you. You shall not pass." Now I don't mind them planning things for the future. In fact, power to them. But i am very much against 2 things in this scenario.....

1: Why the hell would you put MASSIVE road block in the way of anybody trying to get past this area?

2: This one is the more compromising of the two. If you are going to block off entire regions of space, spanning hundreds and thousands of Ly's, why kind of idiot wouldn't put in some way to VIEW these regions of space easily? (it can't be that complicated.... take something like the powerplay bubble and place it over the permit required areas... BAM!!!! massive headaches vanished)

With the above being said... am I just a genius or is Frontier really that stupid?...

I think you guys probably agree with my that it's likely the latter.

Vent session over,

CMDR Dyrewolff out

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Why does Frontier hate explorers?

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:51 pm

The running theory is that Barnards is the thargoid bubble.
Hence the lockout.

It can't be more than a few hundred LY.
That's like three jumps in a decent Asp or DBX.

No I don't think FD are "that stupid".
I think you sound like an insuffering manchild.

Besides the worst place to view a nebula is inside it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I have no proplem with FD blocking off certain areas and requiring permits. Gives me something to work toward, rather than being a able to go simply wherever I wanted. Currently I'm working toward a Sol permit. By having to work hard for it I'll have a greater sense of achievement and satisfaction once I get it.

No, I neither think that FD are idiots, nor do I believe they hate explorers. There millions (or is it billions?) of systems we can explore without permits. So having a few locked out is fine by me. Besides, perhaps FD are working on a certain system/planet in secret. I'd rather have a system/planet locked out, that once opened has lots of exciting things in it, rather than it being an accessible system/planet one day, and then something totally different the next day, following an update.

I know some players want everything right away, without having to put some effort into obtaining, wether it's access to a system, or the top modules on the top ship. I prefer to work for such stuff. Makes gameplay far more interesting

Dyrewolff
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Dyrewolff » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Myrm. I'm not talking about a few locked out systems. I agree with the grind and even appreciate it some. I'm not saying that I want access to everything right away. I'm saying I don't want to run into a massive wall over 500 Ly's across unexpectedly when I am in the middle of a multiple thousand Ly trip already.

Dyrewolff
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Dyrewolff » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:31 pm

TorTorden wrote:The running theory is that Barnards is the thargoid bubble.
Hence the lockout.

It can't be more than a few hundred LY.
That's like three jumps in a decent Asp or DBX.

No I don't think FD are "that stupid".
I think you sound like an insuffering manchild.

Besides the worst place to view a nebula is inside it.

I apologize for bothering you so. Obviously my problem isn't with making the jumps... it's with finding a route. Is my suggestion in point number 2 too much to ask for? It's more then a few hunder Ly. Probably upwards of 800. All I'm suggesting is making it a bit more apparent where you ARE able to fly. I'm fine not being able to get in the nebula.. I was trying to get past it.

Spike1986
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Spike1986

Postby Spike1986 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 pm

For higher jump range you need to unlock Farseer not Palin.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

I hope you find the route you are looking for OP.

Off Topic
Is it just me however, but the PS4 version came out on the 27th June, 3 weeks ago, and people already have Anacondas.

The next person who complains about making money I am going to slap.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow

Postby sean_crow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Xebeth wrote:I hope you find the route you are looking for OP.

Off Topic
Is it just me however, but the PS4 version came out on the 27th June, 3 weeks ago, and people already have Anacondas.

The next person who complains about making money I am going to slap.

Same thought here. :D
Even I have to admit, that I started reading such a guide about "From Sidewinder to Anaconda", too.
But starting on it, I got bored and I decided to ... explore :)

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 pm

The problem with "Sidewinder to Anaconda" and similar guides is that they help you to make money, but do not teach you how to fly your ship. "All the gear and no idea" just does not work out in E:D.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Part of me agrees that it's too easy and it's silly to get to Anaconda so quick but let's be honest, a lot of the the PS4 players won't last very long anyway as it takes a certain type of player to enjoy this game, as I'm sure it was the same for the other platforms at launch

Return to “Tips and Tricks”