Help - my FSD keeps overheating!

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
X3N0D3ATH
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: X3N0D3ATH
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Help - my FSD keeps overheating!

Postby X3N0D3ATH » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 pm

If you have a fuel scoop typically anything above half scoop speed will increase your heat and as the scoop rate dips below half your heat from the star will drop off. So that is a good indicator for heat if you have a fuel scoop.

If you don't have a scoop and you're in SC watch the star on the sensors, if it looks Red on sensors you are close enough to get heating from the star, fly away in SC till the star changes to blue before you Hyperspace.

If you happened to actually drop out of SC next to the star then you need to escape vector out (you may take some heat damage) just stay on the escape vector until you stop getting heated then angle for your destination.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mhildebrand
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: BlueCoder

Postby mhildebrand » Sun May 07, 2017 9:06 pm

X3N0D3ATH wrote:If you have a fuel scoop typically anything above half scoop speed will increase your heat and as the scoop rate dips below half your heat from the star will drop off. So that is a good indicator for heat if you have a fuel scoop.

If you don't have a scoop and you're in SC watch the star on the sensors, if it looks Red on sensors you are close enough to get heating from the star, fly away in SC till the star changes to blue before you Hyperspace.

If you happened to actually drop out of SC next to the star then you need to escape vector out (you may take some heat damage) just stay on the escape vector until you stop getting heated then angle for your destination.

Thanks X3! No fuel scoop (yet) - but I did fall out of SC at entry, and trying to go back in freak me out, so I stopped. Like you said, I push threw the heat damage and it all worked out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

X3N0D3ATH
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: X3N0D3ATH

Postby X3N0D3ATH » Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Just make sure to plan for long trips by getting a fuel scoop before you go, also adjust your route by filtering non-scoopable stars out by going to galaxy map, tab over to Realistic/Map/Powerplay then select map and pick star class from the first drop down menu and leave the first 7 selected and deselect everything else but "Apply to Route"and you will only ever see scoopable stars. This way you don't run out of fuel.

Heat damage isn't massively damaging though, and its not a huge problem when you're inside or near the bubble but when you are 10,000 light years out and you lose your fuel scoop or discovery scanner to accumulated heat damage and don't have an AFM then you'll be really in a bad spot.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”