Help - my FSD keeps overheating!

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
mhildebrand
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: BlueCoder
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Help - my FSD keeps overheating!

Postby mhildebrand » Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 pm

I just entered system LHS 6309 on my way to Fontana Horizons, and everytime I engage FSD, my brand new Cobra Mk3 begins too overheat; Sparks are flying everywhere! Want I'm I doing wrong? Did I forget heat pads or something?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Help - my FSD keeps overheating!

Postby Xebeth » Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Have you dropped out of SC by the star? If so, and you don't have seat sinks, you can either fly away for ages, or engage and hope for the best. If you do the second, briefly engage the FSD to work out where the escape vector is and make sure you are lined up with it before going for the jump (jump to SC first as the heat isn't so great).
Are you still in SC, but trying to engage the FSD whilst you are still too close? Wait until your temp starts to fall whilst flying away from the star before engaging the FSD.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

mhildebrand
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: BlueCoder

Postby mhildebrand » Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Xebeth wrote:Have you dropped out of SC by the star? If so, and you don't have seat sinks, you can either fly away for ages, or engage and hope for the best. If you do the second, briefly engage the FSD to work out where the escape vector is and make sure you are lined up with it before going for the jump (jump to SC first as the heat isn't so great).
Are you still in SC, but trying to engage the FSD whilst you are still too close? Wait until your temp starts to fall whilst flying away from the star before engaging the FSD.

Thanks. I took option B - hit hyperdrive and hoped for the best. Hull took a 3% hit, but things started to cool down after about a minute. You saved my life! Now I need to figure out where to get heat sinks.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 05, 2017 7:29 pm

mhildebrand wrote:
Xebeth wrote:Have you dropped out of SC by the star? If so, and you don't have seat sinks, you can either fly away for ages, or engage and hope for the best. If you do the second, briefly engage the FSD to work out where the escape vector is and make sure you are lined up with it before going for the jump (jump to SC first as the heat isn't so great).

Thanks. I took option B - hit hyperdrive and hoped for the best. Hull took a 3% hit, but things started to cool down after about a minute. You saved my life! Now I need to figure out where to get heat sinks.

If you are alive and able to dock you are good to go :)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Remember, that if you zero your throttle when in hyperspace you'll come to an almost halt when you arrive at the star, you then have an age to align away from it.

You are not stopped however, so don't jump and wander away from the game, and if you are on PC don't alt-tab away from the game (as you speed up again).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Xebeth wrote:...and if you are on PC don't alt-tab away from the game (as you speed up again).

When you hear your ship exit the hyperspace tunnel so go to alt-tab back in but the keyboard batteries have gone then have to scramble for the mouse :D :lol:

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Sat May 06, 2017 3:29 am

After you jump to a star, wander towards your next star letting the FSD cool a tad.

as you pull away from the star even after scooping, you might be in the mid heat range. If you just jump you dont get cooling time.

RedQueen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Red Queen

Postby RedQueen » Sat May 06, 2017 5:55 am

Here's my pattern (if in transit to another star):

Jump to new system.
Throttle down to 0% while in Witchspace. Do not alt-tab. It will cancel your throttle down, and you will most likely end up damaged.
On arrival, aim to *just* outside the corona of the star. That's the glowing bit that extends past the star.
Throttle up.
When FSD cooldown clears, engage FSD. If target is still obscurred, keep flying until it isn't, and engage immediately.
Slowly turn to face towards your next destination.
When your FSD charge nears complete, turn to face the next destination.
It should fully engage before any overheat occurs.

This should result in the barest of minimum time spent in the system, and also no overheat. This way, you avoid pirates trying to steal your cargo, you save time, and you don't take damage.
Queen of Hearts image credit: Ithelda @ DeviantArt

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sat May 06, 2017 11:13 am

If you enable orbit lines and the mouse widget, you get an exact indicator where to aim your ship for a minimum distance pass with max scoop rate. Also watch the colour of the star in your radar bowl, it will turn from grey (selected) to yellow (close) to red (almost too close) as you approach. Once it turns back from red to yellow and you are headed away from the star, you can usually start charging your FSD without ill effects.

If you do happen to face-plant into the star, select it as target via your navigation panel, then turn your ship around until you get a hollow marker in the middle of the little compass. Your ship is now pointed directly away from the star and directly towards the escape vector. Now turn off everything but FSD, thrusters, and life support. Go to 100% throttle until you have reached your maximum speed, then low-wake(!) into SC, get away from the star, turn the other modules back on, and continue your journey.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat May 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Cometborne wrote:If you enable orbit lines and the mouse widget, you get an exact indicator where to aim your ship for a minimum distance pass with max scoop rate. Also watch the colour of the star in your radar bowl, it will turn from grey (selected) to yellow (close) to red (almost too close) as you approach. Once it turns back from red to yellow and you are headed away from the star, you can usually start charging your FSD without ill effects.

If you do happen to face-plant into the star, select it as target via your navigation panel, then turn your ship around until you get a hollow marker in the middle of the little compass. Your ship is now pointed directly away from the star and directly towards the escape vector. Now turn off everything but FSD, thrusters, and life support. Go to 100% throttle until you have reached your maximum speed, then low-wake(!) into SC, get away from the star, turn the other modules back on, and continue your journey.

This, if you aren't running a hot ship, you can in most cases start charging as soon as you see the heat from the star proximity starts dropping.
As far as I'm concerned, a heat level during scoop and charge under 97% is fine and dandy, above this I either try pulling out, or pop a heat sink.
Although if you go beyond 97% heat, you usually don't have time to pull away 8-)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”