From sidewinder to Cobra/Viper

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
mhildebrand
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: BlueCoder
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

From sidewinder to Cobra/Viper

Postby mhildebrand » Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm only 3 weeks into this game. I've made enough cr to buy either a Cobra mk4 or a Viper mk4. They seem pretty much the same at first comparison. I know the Cobra is for multi-purpose, and Viper is more for fighting. At this point in the game, I simply want to make fast and huge amounts of crs.

Which ship should I get? Or should I hold on to my sidewinder and get an ASP explorer? In other words, will the Cobra or Viper help me get CRs faster?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: From sidewinder to Cobra/Viper

Postby Xebeth » Thu May 04, 2017 9:36 pm

mhildebrand wrote:I'm only 3 weeks into this game. I've made enough cr to buy either a Cobra mk4 or a Viper mk4. They seem pretty much the same at first comparison. I know the Cobra is for multi-purpose, and Viper is more for fighting. At this point in the game, I simply want to make fast and huge amounts of crs.

Which ship should I get? Or should I hold on to my sidewinder and get an ASP explorer? In other words, will the Cobra or Viper help me get CRs faster?

You may not be able to get the Cobra Mk4, it was an exclusive for people who owned Season 1 and Season 2 when Horizons launched, if you can't get it then get the Cobra Mk3. The Vipers are really only for combat as you say, whereas the Cobra will allow you to do combat, trading and exploration.

As for making money, trading always makes good money, but in the early game rare trading makes even more (just google Elite Dangerous rare trading), you'll need the extra jump range of the Cobra for this.

Failing that, smuggling is always a winner as well.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

mhildebrand
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby mhildebrand » Thu May 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Xebeth wrote:
mhildebrand wrote:I'm only 3 weeks into this game. I've made enough cr to buy either a Cobra mk4 or a Viper mk4. They seem pretty much the same at first comparison. I know the Cobra is for multi-purpose, and Viper is more for fighting. At this point in the game, I simply want to make fast and huge amounts of crs.

You may not be able to get the Cobra Mk4, it was an exclusive for people who owned Season 1 and Season 2 when Horizons launched, if you can't get it then get the Cobra Mk3. The Vipers are really only for combat as you say, whereas the Cobra will allow you to do combat, trading and exploration.

As for making money, trading always makes good money, but in the early game rare trading makes even more (just google Elite Dangerous rare trading), you'll need the extra jump range of the Cobra for this.

Failing that, smuggling is always a winner as well.

Thanks Xebeth!

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 pm

I agree 100% with regard to the Cobra Mk3, I would also add, speaking personally, I never buy a new ship unless I can upgrade it to a decent degree from day one.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 pm

The viper mk4 is a combat oriented multipurpose ship, the cobra mk3 is a mobility focused multipurpose ship.

If you want to take the ship into resource site or whatnot and only want one ship. I would go fornthe viper.
Ideally i would get the cobra mk3, and then buy a viper mk3 for dedicated fighting.

The cobra mk4 was a limited release, and twice as useless.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 pm

I also agree that the Cobra 3 is a great choice for your next ship. Solid multi-roll ship and great at running missions.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 pm

JohnLuke wrote:I also agree that the Cobra 3 is a great choice for your next ship. Solid multi-roll ship and great at running missions.

And far from bad in a fight.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Greylock3491
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greylock3491

Postby Greylock3491 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Hey mhildebrand!

My friend and I just started playing from scratch again for our YouTube series, "Two Guys in Space" and in the first two hours we went from Sidewinder to Hauler, then in the next 2hr show we went from Hauler to Cobra, and then in the third 2hr show we went from Cobra to Type 6.

We did this just hauling cargo and data, and looking back I can say the Corba MK III and Type 6 are awesome ships for hauling Cargo.

In fact, in episode 5 (airs Saturday night) we made 6 million in the recent CG in our type 6's hauling 96 Tons per trip.

So if you enjoy doing hauling cargo and data that's one road you could take.

That said, I also love to mix it up sometimes in the Hi RES areas with my Viper MK III. Affordable and maneuverable - best of both worlds!

Hope this helps,

TGS Grey of Two Guys in Space

mhildebrand
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby mhildebrand » Fri May 05, 2017 12:40 am

Greylock3491 wrote:

Hey mhildebrand!

My friend and I just started playing from scratch again for our YouTube series, "Two Guys in Space" and in the first two hours we went from Sidewinder to Hauler, then in the next 2hr show we went from Hauler to Cobra, and then in the third 2hr show we went from Cobra to Type 6.

We did this just hauling cargo and data, and looking back I can say the Corba MK III and Type 6 are awesome ships for hauling Cargo.

In fact, in episode 5 (airs Saturday night) we made 6 million in the recent CG in our type 6's hauling 96 Tons per trip.

So if you enjoy doing hauling cargo and data that's one road you could take.

That said, I also love to mix it up sometimes in the Hi RES areas with my Viper MK III. Affordable and maneuverable - best of both worlds!

Hope this helps,

TGS Grey of Two Guys in Space

Wow! Thanks Two Guys! Looking for and watching your videos. BTW, I'm BlueCoder in game.

WarMunkey
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WarMunkey

Postby WarMunkey » Fri May 05, 2017 2:51 am

I gotta say, I did combat for the first few weeks I had the game and decided to get a type 6 lakon. Never looked back, trading is my niche and definitely worth looking into, but fighting did bring me more money per hour

Return to “Tips and Tricks”