Advice?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Galifray
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Galifray
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Advice?

Postby Galifray » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:31 am

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to Elite, but not the genre, and was wondering if anyone had any good tips or starter advice that would help me ease into the vast universe of this game. There is just so much to do and going on, it's a little confusing at first. I'm getting the hang of things, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CMDR Galifray

Risingstudios
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Risingstudios

Re: Advice?

Postby Risingstudios » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:38 am

Welcome to Elite Dangerous, commander!

If I had to give advice, it's roleplay... get into the mindset of your commander, choose a role for yourself in this vast galaxy because elite really wont give you any direction towards a specific one. For starters, choose your faction allegiance, do you plan to fly for the Federation, Alliance, remain independent or make the right choice and fly in the glow of the Empire... Not to say I'm bias or anything. Next I recommend running a few missions or getting into a wing with another commander who can help you out with getting some initial cash to get you started (bounty hunting with someone in a bigger ship is a nice way to start out).

Really though, get creative is my advice, once you have a character you can assume whilst playing Elite it's easier to determine what you want to do during your play sessions.

I hope this... helps in some way ^^
Last edited by Risingstudios on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:45 am

We have compiled a long list of Tips and Tricks here which should help get you started.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Galifray
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Galifray

Postby Galifray » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks everyone for the help. Thinking about focusing on Mining/Exploration with maybe some bounties here and there. One of my favorite things about this game is the environment, it is absolutely gorgeous!

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:53 am

Have fun! (one thing)

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:12 am

Galifray wrote:Thanks everyone for the help. Thinking about focusing on Mining/Exploration with maybe some bounties here and there. One of my favorite things about this game is the environment, it is absolutely gorgeous!

Exploration is what I prefer. Combat is for inadequate men with small, errr, you-know-whats. Exploration is where the REAL MEN hang out. :lol:

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 am

Myrm wrote:Exploration is what I prefer. Combat is for inadequate men with small, errr, you-know-whats. Exploration is where the REAL MEN hang out. :lol:

Says the guy in the tiny exploration ship as he runs from the angry Elite combat ranked commander in the fully modded Corvette battle tank......
8-) :lol: :D

All kidding aside, do what you enjoy in the game Galifray. I've done a lot of different things in E-D, and have found many to be fun when I'm in the right mood for it. If you're doing something and not enjoying it at the time, try something else and come back to career "x" later. Many times I'll do some combat, mission running, engineer goodies hunting, a dab of trading, and who knows what else on a typical weekend in E-D. That's one of the things I love about this game. I can do what I feel like doing right now. :D
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:24 am

:D

Yes the beauty of this game is that you can play it how you want. It gets better and better with each season update.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:43 am

Exploration.

Jump. Honk, scoop.
Check system map. Scan the interesting bits.
Repeat for 12 months.

If you people to get bored and quite, exploration is the career of choice.
I play with the sentiment of "I don't want to do today, what I did yesterday".

Exploration trips locks you in. You go two weeks out, you will have to spend two weeks going back.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:10 pm

Galifray wrote:Hi all,
I'm pretty new to Elite, but not the genre, and was wondering if anyone had any good tips or starter advice that would help me ease into the vast universe of this game. There is just so much to do and going on, it's a little confusing at first. I'm getting the hang of things, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
CMDR Galifray

I watched 10 hours of videos before I even started to play. There are many 'beginner videos' out there.

ObsidianAnt updated his Tutorials recently for 2.0 and, I believe, even 2.1. I'll get you some links when I'm back on wired.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Tips and Tricks”