Viper Mk. IV Purpose

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Viper Mk. IV Purpose

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:14 pm

Not getting sour.....

Flown every ship in the game.....

A rated and engineered to the hilt the ones that matter.....

Can fly better than most...Come from a flight sim background....

And please don't use "Grandpa"......

Makes you look like an ageist idiot.....

And Besides.....I have no kids......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:53 am

/mod head/
Guys can we keep the topic civil without the name calling please?
/MOD head/

Personally I tried the MK4 when I was gifted a free one way back when. I 'A' rated it, and much like the MK3, I didn't like it. The Cobra is a much better ship all round (MK3 that is) IMHO of course! Still would rather have the Eagle though it is a blast to fly about!
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

DuskCrane
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: DuskCrane431
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby DuskCrane » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone for responding, and so quickly. I recently purchased and A-ranked the Mk IV and I just cannot get a feel for it due to the lower maneuverability. I'll stick to my Courier for now.

That being said (typed), I can see a great advantage with this in a wing, letting the Mk IV soak up the damage and swarming the enemy. I guess it all comes down to play style.

Oveli Cashbond
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Oveli Cashbond

Postby Oveli Cashbond » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Had ED for a while but just started playing couple weeks ago. Accidentally found out that I had a Viper mk4. Been doing boom delivery runs to build up funds and to learn game basics. When I started using the Viper, then started to make wat better cash. Made it possible for me to get the Cobra mk4. I am pretty sure I was not using it to it's full potential...But it was useful.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Viper Mk. IV Purpose

Postby evovi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Thing I like about the viper iv... It's cheap to replace - not worth a rating as ships like the cobra 3 outshine it in many ways - suppose if you're a viper lover and anti cobraist then the extra slots give you more flexibility than the mk3 - I had lots of fun in my mk3 viper... The eagle is also a fun ship to fly in a res - but not one for going solo against bigger ships couple of shots and shields are history - each to their own tho... And gotta look at it from a starter pov rather than a vulture or Python cmdr

Toffmeister
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Toffmeister

Postby Toffmeister » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Ooops....I find the MkIV to be one of "my" ships. I saw it as the next step up to getting the Python. It's a "Do All" ship. It's also cheap. I guess my love for that ship puts me in a minority.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Toffmeister wrote:Ooops....I find the MkIV to be one of "my" ships. I saw it as the next step up to getting the Python. It's a "Do All" ship. It's also cheap. I guess my love for that ship puts me in a minority.

It's tough, small and very adaptable. Fighter jocks used to light nimble fighters and heavy ship jocks used to batteries of firepower hate it. But this ship is like a wolverine which even wolves avoid. You either get the Viper mk4 or you don't - there's no middile ground :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:25 pm

I think the viper mk4 is a good ship.

But its in direct price point as the cobra mk3.

I have a second account, and I have recently reset it, and on it I just replaced my starting sidey with a mk4 viper.
Currently mostly C rated and it is quite good, not as fast as a cobra, but not to far off, maybe a little more manoeuvrable, still carry 30t cargo, jump 15ly on c rated fsd.
But the largest difference is combat.

The hardpoint placement on the viper is much better than a cobra.
For instance with cobra you would need gimballed on the class 1, but on the viper two class 1 fixed beams and class2 gimballed multis chew up a low-medium res with ease.

So in short, it's cobra mk3 but with a smidge more combat focus than he cobra.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:11 am

TorTorden wrote:I think the viper mk4 is a good ship.

I have a second account, and I have recently reset it, and on it I just replaced my starting sidey with a mk4 viper.
Currently mostly C rated and it is quite good, not as fast as a cobra, but not to far off, maybe a little more manoeuvrable, still carry 30t cargo, jump 15ly on c rated fsd.

For instance with cobra you would need gimballed on the class 1, but on the viper two class 1 fixed beams and class2 gimballed multis chew up a low-medium res with ease.

I tend to agree that the Cobra mk3 and the Viper 4 are rival products ingame and compete in the same ship niche. Pretty happy with my Viper 4 so have no plans to get the Cobra 3. I am considering getting the Cobra mk4 though since I promised a friend in another game I'm playing that he could be a copilot or gunner. To my chagrin, I found out that my Keelback having just one seat won't accomodate another player to drive the Taipan SLF I"m planning on getting once 2.3 drops and I start playing again.

I like small ships so the Cobra mk4 seem good to fillout the mining/exploration jobs that I want to do while leaving my Keelback/Viper4 to do freight/mission runs and even CZ/Hazres bounty runs. Odd ships don't faze me :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Tifu wrote:
TorTorden wrote:I think the viper mk4 is a good ship.

I tend to agree that the Cobra mk3 and the Viper 4 are rival products ingame and compete in the same ship niche. Pretty happy with my Viper 4 so have no plans to get the Cobra 3. I am considering getting the Cobra mk4 though since I promised a friend in another game I'm playing that he could be a copilot or gunner. To my chagrin, I found out that my Keelback having just one seat won't accomodate another player to drive the Taipan SLF I"m planning on getting once 2.3 drops and I start playing again.

I like small ships so the Cobra mk4 seem good to fillout the mining/exploration jobs that I want to do while leaving my Keelback/Viper4 to do freight/mission runs and even CZ/Hazres bounty runs. Odd ships don't faze me :)

Oh I don't mind the seating in the cobra, I would have gotten one if the station sold it.
It had the viper instead so there you go.
I have now traded it for a diamondback scout, so it was a brief afair.

As for Multicrew, other than helm it seems REALLY limited.
You can use turrets and seeker missiles, or fighters.
The hardpoint convergence on the cobra may not be great for fixed guns, but putting turrets on one is not a good idea either, (they would still be forward facing).

Python, same deal.
Asp Explorer, same deal.

So it actually look as the first ship useful for multicrew is the federal gunship, but that costs 100+ million and is behind a federal rank requirement to boot.

Basically unless you own a conda opening your ship up to crew is utterly pointless.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”