Navigating on Planets

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Navigating on Planets

Postby Xebeth » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Ok, so I may be a bit late to the party on this one, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

When flying on a planet in 2.2 (well currently in the Beta anyway) and you look at the surface map of the planet you are on, the little blue arrow is actually showing where you are on the surface (it even moves as you fly across the surface), actually it's seem it's the tiny flashing dot just below the arrow that shows your location.

When you first click on planetary map the top of the three segment reticule is approximately at -90, 0.0.

Unfortunately the arrow disappears when you enter orbital cruise, but still useful for getting your bearings when you are trying too check out that interesting canyon or mountain.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Driglok
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Driglok
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Navigating on Planets

Postby Driglok » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 am

I had the misfortune of noticing the little blue dot while I was in an SRV and thought it was something shiny on the planet. It was always just a south of my location by a few klicks. I think it is a bug like how you can see that little yellow spot off by itself that moves as you change throttle.
Honestly I haven't play tested it too much but the arrow is a lot closer to your position on the ground than the dot is.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:02 am

This would be a really useful feature if you could instantly switch between ship view and map view. Trying to read such tiny figures while attempting to land at - or drive to - designated coordinates is fraught with difficulty. Having early 21st century technology available on board would be a boon, but I suppose the devs are having to work within the bounds of what is possible.

Driglok
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Driglok
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Driglok » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:12 pm

I know right. I have the RAM just preload the planet I am so it pops up in <2 seconds.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”