Shield Cell Banks

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Shield Cell Banks

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:54 am

Xious wrote:I've been in deep space for a while and come back to find that SCBs now generate a ridiculous amount of heat.

Aside from relying on heat sinks now, what other details am I missing?

Are you a trader or a bounty hunter? If the latter, have you looked into bi-weaves? You may not even need SCBs.

Anyway, just a thought. I've only just started experimenting with bi-weaves in my Vulture and I'm loving them. I've always gone for max strength standard shields before, which are probably still the best bet for a trader (running).
It's time to give this another go.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:43 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Are you a trader or a bounty hunter? If the latter, have you looked into bi-weaves? You may not even need SCBs.

Anyway, just a thought. I've only just started experimenting with bi-weaves in my Vulture and I'm loving them. I've always gone for max strength standard shields before, which are probably still the best bet for a trader (running).

I Don't recommend Bi-Weaves on a Trader. They are slow, usually lower power rating, and will end up taking more damage as the shields drop more often. A Type 7 with Size 4 shields and 2 A-Rated boosters has 151mj of strength compared to the same Bi-Weaves that with 2 boosters is only 101. That's a 33% drop in protection.

Unless you are prepared to tank the damage (which a trader is not really able to do well) stay with A-Rated Regulars.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Xious
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xious

Postby Xious » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:01 am

I'm not up to speed on Bi-weaves so I'll have to do some reading.

I've switched gears to bounty hunting lately.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Can post my current corvette fit as a comparisson.
This of course would be stock numbers, I have modded it somewhat, but as for regular shields vs bi-weaves any mod would go both ways.

Lucy, with bi-weave

And.

Lucy with 7A shields.

Suprisingly, overall shield difference is 1033 with bi-weaves and only 1333 with regulars.

But the regen on regular shields are a whopping 11 minutes, Where the same on bi-weave is just under 5 minutes.
That's nearly 6 minutes more of potential killing time as far as I am concerned, and the difference between using an scb between engagements or just when needed in the fight (hence all the heatsinks)
That's a regen of 3.6MJ/ps with biweaves and a regen of 2MJ/ps with regulars.
So I choose regen over a few hundred extra in buffer, and quite frankly 1kMJ is plenty buffer.

If you theoretically wants to mod for max shield strength I suppose the total difference might be between 4260 regular (8 maxed heavy duty boosters and max reinforced shields) and 3500 with bi-weaves, but both of these would have an insane regen time or you would have expend 5-6 SCB's just to get up to strength if you where to take a beating.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xious
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xious

Postby Xious » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks for the info Tor.

I will definitely give these a try. Regen speed is much preferred over strength in this case.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Well to be honest Tor, my example was of a Trader. As I said, if you are able and willing to tank the damage, they are great.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:46 pm

I took out the SCBs. I have 5100Mj of shields that may take ages to regenerate but I need to be in a battle with 3 Anacondas while drinking beer to bring them down so I save energy plus weight...
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:49 pm

Loriath wrote:Well to be honest Tor, my example was of a Trader. As I said, if you are able and willing to tank the damage, they are great.

Oh I agree with you there, I run straight regulars on everything not combat focused, but then again, hardly anything I do is done that way, so that leaves my shuttle aspx and the Cutter :P

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”